Higher quality parts in Sierra?

Ok, so a salesman was trying to tell me that GM uses higher quality glass, and other materials in the Sierra over the Silverado. I think there just blowing smoke up my you know what. Any of this true? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bullchit! same glass and other materials. Slight differences in the cosmetics (referring to the shape, not materials). and that is all.

Find a new salesman!!!!!!!

They literally roll off the same line, he's just trying to sell you the more expensively priced truck to make more commission off of you. We all know that a GMC retails higher than its Silverado twin bc it's "higher class"

You do get some more equipment on a lower level truck in GMC, for example some stuff that comes on an SLE Sierra you need to get an LTZ Silverado to get. Like stitching on the dash.... I have had both, I prefer GMC if I have a choice but, price is king for me I got the Chevy this time because it was a smoking hot deal.

You do get some more equipment on a lower level truck in GMC, for example some stuff that comes on an SLE Sierra you need to get an LTZ Silverado to get. Like stitching on the dash.... I have had both, I prefer GMC if I have a choice but, price is king for me I got the Chevy this time because it was a smoking hot deal.

That's still the same material, just on different trims.

I have heard and saw they roll off the same line but let's figure this one out for me, find me the stock fender guards/trim on the gmc and see if they will pop right on to the Chevy. They won't the fenders are different meaning the bed is different too. Although I looked at both the they are pretty much the same. I think some plastic dash parts are not plastic on the gmc, I chose Chevy because of I found what I wanted at the price I wanted

All the same stuff. The only thing would be that the Silverado High Country interior might be more durable than the other leather on any other Silverado or Sierra, but that's just what I've read is that it's a bit thicker leather, at least on the seats. Also the Silverado headlights from the factory are better than the '14 and '15 Sierra headlights. But that was just bad design, not actual material durability.

I kind of like that GM has Chevy and GMC trucks. Just tradition I reckon, but I like it. I really like the '15 Chevy LTZ Z71 Off Road package, and that '16 Denali 22" wheels, etc. 6.2(!!) I found. I'll wait until I pay off some more bills though.

Bottom line the sales guy is full of it other then cosmetic stuff. Mind you GMC is professional grade and the Chev is like a rock. Lol. Don't tell anybody but I was actually looking at Chevy before I got an offer I couldn't refuse on my Denali. Both brands will serve you well just my humble opinion.

Sent from Windows Phone.

All hype designed to make a sale by fostering snob appeal and squeeze more money from the sucker walking into the showroom.

No different than the crap I heard over 40 years ago when "they" said the same thing about other corporate twins Plymouth and Dodge, and the common power plants 318s and 383s common to all Chrysler products, i.e. the better mic'd engines being in the Chryslers. No truer now as it was then now that GM uses common drive trains and unit bodies. That's why many parts are interchangeable between different make GMs. Only difference is in the level of seating and glitz thrown on the vehicle not in the quality of the base hardware or electronics, i.e. what hauls one's ass and junk from point A to point B, and the level of stuffing in a seat or using an aluminum side molding vs. a plastic one has nothing to do with "quality", but rather the level of comfort or class impression for which one is willing to project at a premium cost.

Does one really think in this age of automated assembly and interchangeability of parts that engines, e.g. 3.6l or 5.3ls manufactured on the same line are individually tested and categorized and segregated according to future use? "Oh no! we've got to stop production because we're short of the better made Sierra 5.3s and only have stock of the less well made 5.3s made for the Chevy's!" - Nonsense!

Same goes for claims of thicker paint....might not see the difference with flat colors, but variations in primer and thickness of color coat would change depth and reflectivity....only difference is the classier names for the same color on different vehicle lines, i.e. tungsten vs. iridium. And factory paint is applied as a charged powder onto an electrostatically charged body - a one shot deal - and then fused in an oven, anything greater than the standard thickness for this process would cause sagging in the cured paint.

I buy vehicles for me, not to impress others, otherwise I'd have a Range Rover, Benz or BMW in the drive......and since there is no issue of "quality" I chose Chevy over GMC for the only right reason......looks nicer and meaner to me!

All hype designed to make a sale by fostering snob appeal and squeeze more money from the sucker walking into the showroom.

No different than the crap I heard over 40 years ago when "they" said the same thing about other corporate twins Plymouth and Dodge, and the common power plants 318s and 383s common to all Chrysler products, i.e. the better mic'd engines being in the Chryslers. No truer now as it was then now that GM uses common drive trains and unit bodies. That's why many parts are interchangeable between different make GMs. Only difference is in the level of seating and glitz thrown on the vehicle not in the quality of the base hardware or electronics, i.e. what hauls one's ass and junk from point A to point B, and the level of stuffing in a seat or using an aluminum side molding vs. a plastic one has nothing to do with "quality", but rather the level of comfort or class impression for which one is willing to project at a premium cost.

Does one really think in this age of automated assembly and interchangeability of parts that engines, e.g. 3.6l or 5.3ls manufactured on the same line are individually tested and categorized and segregated according to future use? "Oh no! we've got to stop production because we're short of the better made Sierra 5.3s and only have stock of the less well made 5.3s made for the Chevy's!" - Nonsense!

Same goes for claims of thicker paint....might not see the difference with flat colors, but variations in primer and thickness of color coat would change depth and reflectivity....only difference is the classier names for the same color on different vehicle lines, i.e. tungsten vs. iridium. And factory paint is applied as a charged powder onto an electrostatically charged body - a one shot deal - and then fused in an oven, anything greater than the standard thickness for this process would cause sagging in the cured paint.

I buy vehicles for me, not to impress others, otherwise I'd have a Range Rover, Benz or BMW in the drive......and since there is no issue of "quality" I chose Chevy over GMC for the only right reason......looks nicer and meaner to me!

You are right about everything here except for your last sentence - the Sierra looks better!

I test drove a 16 Silverado LTZ and a 16 Sierra SLT, to me the sierra felt more solid driving. Even though i knew they are basically the same truck besides cosmetics haha.

Archived