Higher quality parts in Sierra?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so a salesman was trying to tell me that GM uses higher quality glass, and other materials in the Sierra over the Silverado. I think there just blowing smoke up my you know what. Any of this true? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I knew there had to be a reason GMC trucks cost more, anyone want to buy my ocean front lot in Montana?

• 1 month later...

why i went GMC... .. again i came out of a ford.....before i bought.. ..buddy next door, bought a used king ranch.. my best friend drives a dodge, my other buddy has a chevy... needed to change it up... but the looks of the gmc ... man just tough.... ...probably why my wife named her the judge! lol..

but i did test drive a chevy z71.. it was silver.. cloth... not to many features... and with all the incentives.. my gmc bottom line price was the same as the chevy starting off..

This "theory"goes back to the old days when people owning more expensive Chryslers claimed the substandard parts went into Plymouths and Dodges.......nonsense!........ to complicated to implement on a practical basis and a nightmare for inventory.......... once saw a Plymouth Cirrus in the showroom and the doors had Chrysler emblems, but at least they were the same color.

BUT, might be something to your claim about Mexican built trucks, often same number parts are obtained from multiple "certified" suppliers and those incorporating JIT (just-in-time) in their QC program to reduce inventory storage tend to use local suppliers even though their components may be poorly made and at the far limits of the specs. simply because they are closest to the assembly plants, rather than a supplier who is farther away with better made, tighter tolerance components.

A vehicle that is not a lemon is more of a sum of its individual parts and quality of assembly than the vehicle design itself. My Mexican built Avalanches were put together like crap and swore I'd never by another GM product with a VIN beginning with "3". Nice design, but assembled like crap and sealed with snot....each developed more water leaks than a submarine with a screen door.

My US built Silverado, Roanoke, IN; Malibu, Kansas City, KS and Traverse, Lansing, MI with VINs beginning with "1", and Canadian built Camaro, VIN beginning with "2" have been exceptional vehicles in fit, finish and ride and none have been to the dealer for a warranty repair in their first 10K miles. Apparently the country of origin and location of the assembly plant have more to do with the success of the vehicle than the vehicle's design. Only GM vehicles that are onesies or twosies for me from now on.

Interesting theory. I prefer vehicles assembled in Canada or the United States but the location of the plant or ethnicity of the workers has no potential impact on quality, imo. My current truck is a "3" and the fit, finish and operation are flawless.

Anyone who thinks gm is putting better crap in a gmc over a chevy is just being scammed, same exact parts from bumper to bumper as long as your staying in the same trim level. professional grade is simply sales talk and thats all. Ive heard it all, thicker leather, better steel, better this and that, all bullshit pure and simple tailored to the simple minded buyer who thinks he wants something better that his buddy who bought a Chevy.

Chevy trucks get the bad starters, out of balance wheels, thinner paint and the mexican builders sleep in your truck while smoking during smoke breaks. GMC gets the good parts and no mexican smoke breaks.

That's good stuff! I built cars at Mitsubishi for awhile and found people sleeping in cars in the repair area on more than one occasion

Yup thats right GMC gets only grade 1 parts the culled parts go into the chevys. Reminds me of when I worked at a local lumber company in high school we would go through all the lumber and grade it from No1 to No 3 the. Amazing but true they never actually found much of anything that did not rate No 1 grade when going through the stacks. hahahaha

Archived