Photo
- - - - -

Trailer brake controller

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 scooter70

scooter70

Enthusiast

• 295 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:36 PM

I need a trailer brake controller for my truck. I already have the towing package, so the install should be pretty easy, right? Any recommendations on models or features that I need to tow my Corvette to Watkins Glen?
TIA,
Matt
Posted Image
2000 Z71 Extended Cab 5.3
-285BFG All Terrain TAs / Ford Torsion Bar Keys / Westin Oval Tubes / Bilstein HD / K&N / Silverstars / Amber DRLs
1970 Corvette coupe
-LS1 with TR224-112 cam / T56 / 3.70 rear end / Lots of LS6 parts / K&N
2005 Pontiac GTO
-LS2 / T56 / 400hp&400ft-lbs of tire smoking torque / GMM Ripshifter / Hotchkis sway bars
2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
-Needs more power.

#2 BDBWTE

BDBWTE

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,189 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:54 PM

I use a Tekonsha Prodigy myself. It's good for up to 4 axles and is super adjustable and easy to use. I use mine almost everyday and it is outstanding. Raybestos is also made my tekonsha so they should be good. Anyways all the brake controller we have are tekonsha's.

#3 BCNU

BCNU

Enthusiast

• 124 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:00 PM

I'm with BDBWTE, go with the prodigy best one I have used. I would also buy the harness so it just plugs in and you are ready to go! Camping World has them on sale right now.

#4 Shaners

Shaners

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:46 PM

No doubt about it... Tekonsha is #1!!!

2013 Avalanche LTZ. White Diamond Tricoat paint w/Ebony leather. (mine)

2005 BMW 645Ci convertible w/only 21k miles

2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid (hers)

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

#5 Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:09 PM

:chevy: Prodigy is the one. Smooth stops, no grabbing. Best controller I've ever used.

#6 Shotgun

Shotgun

Enthusiast

• 661 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:45 PM

Yep I agree,the Tekonsha Prodigy is the mac daddy of em all,self adjusts and the only one that works in reverse,this comes in handy if your ever backing a 30' travel trailer or loaded goose neck down a hill. Here is the link:TEKONSHA PRODIGY

Edited by Shotgun, 20 May 2003 - 09:47 PM.

01 GMC 1500HD Fire Red 4X4 Crew Cab,6.0L ,4.56 Yukon gears
Flowmaster Duals,K&N,wait4me tune, Rhino Liner,285-75R-16 Toyo Open Country MT tires,XM Sound powered by Alpine Posted Image

#7 Redapple

Redapple

Enthusiast

• 189 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:35 AM

Ditto!! :chevy:
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A
Installed Mods
Line-X Spray In Bed Liner
BFG 285 AT Tires w/Polished Alum Centerline
Westin Black Steel Nerf Bars
Prodigy Brake Controller
Juice w/Attitude

Posted Image

#8 THE BIGPUNN

THE BIGPUNN

Enthusiast

• 705 posts
  • Drives:2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:58 AM

just ordered my prodigy, im finding them on sale for around $98.00 these days.
Posted Image

2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (Big B)

1998 Harley Davidson Road King Anniversary

PAST TRUCKS
1999 Gmc Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab
2003 Gmc Sierra 8.1L Crew Cab (Black Dog)
2007 Chevy Silverado Duramax Crew Cab (Azul)
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crewcab (My boy blue)

#9 sjspor

sjspor

Enthusiast

• 242 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 05:42 AM

I have a Drawtite on on 2001, which has been far superior to the Teknosha I had on my 97.
2001 C1500 Base Extended Cab, 4.3 V-6.. yeah baby
Draw-Tite Activator 1500 Brake Control
Bed Liner
Soft Cover on the bed
Hayden 1403 Transmission Cooler
2 Extra Wheels with Snows
And a really good Road Side Tow Plan

#10 scooter70

scooter70

Enthusiast

• 295 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:40 AM

Thanks guys. Is it true that the wires are all there under the dash so there's no splicing and I don't have to run any wires? And at the back of the truck too? Where do you have yours mounted? I know you have pics ;)
Thanks.

#11 LARSONEM

LARSONEM

Enthusiast

• 111 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:20 PM

If your truck is equipped with the HD Trailering Package from the factory, then all the wiring is in place for the brake controller. You may have to add a fuse in the electrical center for accessory power if there is a battery in your trailer you wish to charge. You just have to splice a jumper harness to the brake controller and plug it in under the dash.

Beware that the 1999-2002 jumper harness is identical and the 2003 uses a harness with the same plug, but has two wires in different locations. Those wires are the instrument panel/running lights and brake light feed. If you use the harness from a 1999-2002 in a 2003 without modifications (this is easy to do) when you step on the brake pedal, nothing is energized in the controller, however when your running lights are automatically or manually turned on, the trailer brakes will be too.

#12 bobc

bobc

Enthusiast

• 58 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 07:40 PM

Thanks guys. Is it true that the wires are all there under the dash so there's no splicing and I don't have to run any wires? And at the back of the truck too? Where do you have yours mounted? I know you have pics ;)
Thanks.

Word of advice before even considering hacking your wiring.

For about $6 bucks you can buy a Pre-Wired harness that plugs into the back of the Prodigy and directly into the accessory center under the dash. It took me longer to decide where to mount the Prodigy than to wire it up. I ordered the harness at the time I got the Prodigy, ($104+ free shipping). It was installed and working in my truck in less than 20 minutes.

Sweet setup. Works great for a 2 horse slant...

Word of advise. Even if you have the OEM Factory harness kit or are considering buying it. You'll save at least $30 and you'll have a splice free connection. The harness that I picked up was nicely sheathed and looked more Professionally installed than the OEM could ever be.

Professional trailer guy quoted me $160 to install the bottom of the line Tekonsha... I saved $50 and have top of the line.

Later!
bob :cheers:

#13 bobc

bobc

Enthusiast

• 58 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 07:42 PM

Beware that the 1999-2002 jumper harness is identical and the 2003 uses a harness with the same plug, but has two wires in different locations. Those wires are the instrument panel/running lights and brake light feed. If you use the harness from a 1999-2002 in a 2003 without modifications (this is easy to do) when you step on the brake pedal, nothing is energized in the controller, however when your running lights are automatically or manually turned on, the trailer brakes will be too.

Good point Larson!

Here's the harness at the Tekonsha web site. Note difference for 2003.

http://www.tekonsha.com/bch3025.html

later!
bob

Advertise Here