Trailer brake controller

I need a trailer brake controller for my truck. I already have the towing package, so the install should be pretty easy, right? Any recommendations on models or features that I need to tow my Corvette to Watkins Glen?

TIA,

Matt

I use a Tekonsha Prodigy myself. It's good for up to 4 axles and is super adjustable and easy to use. I use mine almost everyday and it is outstanding. Raybestos is also made my tekonsha so they should be good. Anyways all the brake controller we have are tekonsha's.

I'm with BDBWTE, go with the prodigy best one I have used. I would also buy the harness so it just plugs in and you are ready to go! Camping World has them on sale right now.

Thanks guys. Is it true that the wires are all there under the dash so there's no splicing and I don't have to run any wires? And at the back of the truck too? Where do you have yours mounted? I know you have pics ;)

Thanks.

If your truck is equipped with the HD Trailering Package from the factory, then all the wiring is in place for the brake controller. You may have to add a fuse in the electrical center for accessory power if there is a battery in your trailer you wish to charge. You just have to splice a jumper harness to the brake controller and plug it in under the dash.

Beware that the 1999-2002 jumper harness is identical and the 2003 uses a harness with the same plug, but has two wires in different locations. Those wires are the instrument panel/running lights and brake light feed. If you use the harness from a 1999-2002 in a 2003 without modifications (this is easy to do) when you step on the brake pedal, nothing is energized in the controller, however when your running lights are automatically or manually turned on, the trailer brakes will be too.

Thanks guys. Is it true that the wires are all there under the dash so there's no splicing and I don't have to run any wires? And at the back of the truck too? Where do you have yours mounted? I know you have pics ;)

Thanks.

Word of advice before even considering hacking your wiring.

For about $6 bucks you can buy a Pre-Wired harness that plugs into the back of the Prodigy and directly into the accessory center under the dash. It took me longer to decide where to mount the Prodigy than to wire it up. I ordered the harness at the time I got the Prodigy, ($104+ free shipping). It was installed and working in my truck in less than 20 minutes.

Sweet setup. Works great for a 2 horse slant...

Word of advise. Even if you have the OEM Factory harness kit or are considering buying it. You'll save at least $30 and you'll have a splice free connection. The harness that I picked up was nicely sheathed and looked more Professionally installed than the OEM could ever be.

Professional trailer guy quoted me $160 to install the bottom of the line Tekonsha... I saved $50 and have top of the line.

Later!

bob :cheers:

Beware that the 1999-2002 jumper harness is identical and the 2003 uses a harness with the same plug, but has two wires in different locations. Those wires are the instrument panel/running lights and brake light feed. If you use the harness from a 1999-2002 in a 2003 without modifications (this is easy to do) when you step on the brake pedal, nothing is energized in the controller, however when your running lights are automatically or manually turned on, the trailer brakes will be too.

Good point Larson!

Here's the harness at the Tekonsha web site. Note difference for 2003.

http://www.tekonsha.com/bch3025.html

later!

bob

Archived