1 Mil 14,15 Silverado/Sierras Recalled - Check if Yours Is On List

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-48791800-1460902829_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4/17/2016

Using warranty data, General motors has determined that the driver's side seatbelt cable on the 2014 and 2015 Silverado and Sierra may fail. GM says, "...the flexible steel cable that connects the seat belt to the vehicle can fatigue and separate over time as a result of the driver repeatedly bending the cable when entering the seat."

Added Post-Publication - Readers report that the GM fix is not yet ready, so check with your dealer before scheduling a visit. Hat tip to member Lpsventures.

You can check if your vehicle is on this list right here at GM's recall lookup site.

One interesting note in the GM notice was that the company is issuing a stop-sale on all 3,000 new 2014 and 2015 Silverado and Sierra's on dealer lots. With the 2016 model year now in full swing, there may be some deals to be had on those leftovers.

According to my VIN and GM's recall site this recall was just issued April11/2016 and there is no fix yet!

So John why get everybody in an up roar when there is no fix yet?

Recall Title:

Seatbelt Lap Anchor Tensioner Cable

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014–2015 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles. The flexible steel cable that connects the driver’s seat belt to the outboard side of the seat (the “tensioner cable”) can fatigue and separate over time as a result of occupant movement into the driver’s seat.

Safety Risk Description:

In a crash, a fatigued tensioner cable could break, reducing the effectiveness of the vehicle’s seat belts increasing the risk of injury to the driver.

Repair Description:

For used and customer vehicles, dealers will enlarge the side shield opening, install a pusher bracket on the tensioner, and if necessary, replace the tensioner assembly free of charge. For unsold new vehicles, dealers will replace the retractor assembly.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

Thanks for the heads up. GM did not mention that the remedy was not yet available. Our information even detailed the repairs that would be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo.

Here in Canada is what GM's position on the recall is as of today (April 30/2016).

Repair Description:

For used and customer vehicles, dealers will enlarge the side shield opening, install a pusher bracket on the tensioner, and if necessary, replace the tensioner assembly free of charge. For unsold new vehicles, dealers will replace the retractor assembly.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

This info comes from the link to GM via my OnStar Diagnostics Report.

How is it that current owners get some kind of hokey fix and new trucks sitting on a dealers lot get a replacement of parts?

Should the fix not be the same for all vehicles, sold or not?

Two separate dealers in Manitoba have told me that the unsold trucks will get the fix first. I guess GM is ok with unsafe trucks on the road.

What gives GM?

Maybe the GM rep on this site has an explanation?

• 1 month later...

This situation has me in an uproar. Bought a low mileage 2014 CC a few months back at a reputable out of town dealership. It was "certified".

However, when bringing the truck into my local dealer to have a bearing looked at it, it was not declared certified in the system. Apparently due to there being an "open recall" they will not officially certify the vehicle. The dealer I bought it from says bring it in and they'll take care of me...however that's 100 miles away. They need to get this situation fixed, quick.

Archived