Would you let an autonomous vehicle drive you? Take this MIT survey�

Zane

2016_NEMPA_MIT _webLogo.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

4/27/16

In just a few weeks, Josh, John, and myself will attend a emerging technology conference at MIT by the New England Motor Press Association (of which all three of us are members).

We can't wait to hear about how style and technology will change the way we use, operate, and buy our vehicles into the future. One of the aspects we'll dive into is asking how close we are to fully self driving cars. Even if the technology was on sale today, would you trust it? Would you buy it?

In preparation for the conference MIT is curious what current drivers are thinking about autonomous vehicles. How much would you spend on one? Would you really let one fully take over driving you to work? The survey also asks questions about how you learned to operate your vehicle and how satisfied you are with your vehicles current technology. By answering this quick, informal survey, you'll get a chance to give your opinion to industry partners directly.

Fill out the MIT/NEMPA Autonomous Vehicle Survey Here

We'll let you know the results of the survey in a couple of weeks.

Interested in coming to the MIT Conference with us? Tickets are still available.

Eventually when I can no longer drive I would use it for necessity transportation. Otherwise no. Eventually the nanny state will mandate it and/or make it impossible to drive yourself because the liability will be too great. In order to mandate autonomous vehicles, the manufacturers and occupants will be indemnified against any claims.

I don't have an issue. In fact for my long commutes to work it will be great. All cars will have to go to automation in order for highways to achieve higher and safer speeds.

The paper that uber wrote and published about the future was a real eye opener.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't think the infrastructure is in place for it. I'm guessing you'd need more than just GPS navigation to ensure ultra accurate and reliable self driving vehicles navigating around city streets and hi speed freeways.

I read a long and well researched article about technology like this and how long it takes to get right and get buyin from public (I wish I could refind the link) it basically set out the hurdles of actually achieving this and how most of the advantages, cannot occur until ALL the human driven vehicles are thru the system, and they estimate at best 2060, and only with Government forcing it down our throats. Even then they figure rural areas will still need servicing via normal roads, and at time duplicate infrastructure ...........So a quasi process will probably at best occur in cities and only there. The risks of the handoff to human driver during emergency situation is also huge hurdle because the driver will be busy relaxing on his cell or computer as to why he bought the thing. Also the winter and rain blocking sensors is still not near figured out.

Nope glad not happening in my lifetime and hope it never happens in my grand children's, they deserve to enjoy driving skills

Archived