Yup, they have some kind of transient vibration going into their steering wheels? Like I said, "that is the least of their problems the ecoboosts are coming apart at 60K like clockwork"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2016 has the issue in the WT models. If it doesn't have the noise canceling package you will hear it. Also, even with the package the vibration still exists and could cause serious issues undisclosed by GM. Buyer beware.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Silverado Texas Edition. Vibration started happening after about 6k miles or so. It's an annoying vibration, more like a shimmy. It's not in the steering wheel I can tell it's the entire vehicle. I live in Dallas and drive a tollway (named after a president) for about a 20 minute commute so I consistently hit 75mph. Around 65-70 is when I get the shimmy, but the weird thing is is that it comes and goes as I'm driving. At first I thought it was the road but like I said I drive a tollway which is better maintained than the state highways. I'm scheduled to drop off my truck Friday AM, they dealership is going to do something called a "force road test" or something like that.

I have a 2016 Silverado Texas Edition. Vibration started happening after about 6k miles or so. It's an annoying vibration, more like a shimmy.

Well,

it looks like people should demand 6000 + mile test drives before signing the papers when buying a new GM truck.

I bought a 2016 Crew last month. I took it on a test drive. I got it up to 70mph and it was smooth. I bought it and on the way home....it was shaking like a sumbitch at 75mph. I was ready to turn around and tell them I'm backing out on the deal.

I decided to see if it was a fluke. Well, after a few weeks it was still bad. I took it in for warranty work (embarrassing with 500 miles on it). They said the tires were way out of balance. They balanced them and I haven't had an issue since. Makes me VERY nervous what the future holds though....

I'm scheduled to drop off my truck Friday AM, they dealership is going to do something called a "force road test" or something like that.

What dealer? I've had 2 in dfw brush it off as cheap tires and road feedback claiming it's in spec.

What dealer? I've had 2 in dfw brush it off as cheap tires and road feedback claiming it's in spec.

Huffines, in Lewisville. They say it's a "known wheel balance" issue. I hope so, I really like the truck.

Huffines, in Lewisville. They say it's a "known wheel balance" issue. I hope so, I really like the truck.

That's laughable. I've had 3 tires replaced, complete rim and tire swaps, all being balanced multiple times and it still vibrates. Good luck. Don't drink the koolaid.

They have to road force balance. If they can't get them in spec they need to change the tire/s that aren't good. This fixed mine.

Another day in paradise[emoji631]

I have a friend that works for a Cadillac dealer and he immediately knew what tires I had on the truck.

Another day in paradise[emoji631]

Mine has never had a vibration at any speed and I do think it's a problem. So good job on knowing everybody's thoughts. Even though only a small fraction of 1% (questimation) has vibration issues (so not as much as it seems if you go buy %s on the forum) I know it's still way too often. What does make it a little weird is that there's not a common denominator. It's different cab, bed and drivetrain configurations. It's all over the place so it's hard to figure out a fix. Also some have had better luck where they just replace a set or 2 of tires and it fixes it or the dealer makes it vibrate less but doesn't stop it completely. Then the real unlucky people haven't had it fixed or even get better no matter how many trips to the dealer.

My truck has been through multiple sets of tires, RFB'd 3 times, drive shaft "inspected", 2 ECU reprograms, Exhaust system Adjustment etc. no fix, at most it has helped slightly, but gets worse again. The shop foreman where I go says its a combination of the frame being too stiff and not having enough dampening, and tires (not just crappy tires, but any tire, I have Bridgestone Dueller A/T RH-s) settling on the poorly designed rims (the rims don't have enough support in them to reduce the road feedback). I also think it's due to 2 more things. In 2014 GM changed the material used on the body frame mounts from a rubber to a plastic, same with the engine and transmission mounts. My other one is the driveshaft. My truck has other issues as well, but that is for another day.

How many of you have actually talked to your local dealer service manager to get some idea what percentage of these 2014+ trucks actually have vibration issues? Well I have, and I was told that about 10% of new trucks sold by that dealership came back with vibration complaints within short time after purchase. So before you come up with "1% or less trucks vibrate claims" have some backing for these claims, as what you are posting is baseless!

I will say that at the dealer I go to, every time I'm in there with my truck, there is another person either calling or coming in with the vibration, so I think its greater than 1%, I just don't know how high it really is.

That's no different than going to a single mechanic shop and asking what make they work on the most and then saying that brand is the least reliable based one the one shop. That's still not an accurate number for all. I would say that there's over 1 million of the K2 trucks out there so 1% is 10,000 and I don't think it's that many complaints of vibration. If it is then it's right around that. I'm still not saying it's not a problem because I think it is. It's just again it just seems like it's more with the problem.

I don't know that I agree with that logic. If that mechanic/ dealer whatever sees something the most, then there is a problem with it regardless of how you want to view it. the vehicles are different batch part numbers, owned by different people and maintained in their own manner. if it was just one person who owned every one then you could file that under a coincidence.

the lead mechanic at our local chevy dealer told me 75% of the vehicles have vibration issues. he believe the 2014 design update is 'too stiff'. i agree with his view on the new design being too stiff.

the service manager told me an exhaust system solution that should address vibration issues is coming from gm, just not sure when... i am skeptical that an exhaust change could resolve the vibration problem our suburban is experiencing... & believe gm will ultimately find a solution, but may need to make some design changes that are deep in the platform design to get it resolved....

we really like our 2015 suburban, just want the vibration issue resolved... & believe gm will get it done, eventually:)

Theoretically the exhaust could solve it, if the vibration is caused by a harmonic resonance from a poorly designed exhaust system. That being said, they would have to be careful redesigning the system because changing the pressures and temperatures too much will throw off the performance of the engine and could potentially cause more harm than good.

Many newer Ford F150 have vibration issue, my buddy is dealing with this at the moment.

an example: skip to 3min mark

yup, ford and RAM both have their own vibration issue. Toyota is the only manufacturer right now that doesn't... they had one and solved it in 2007

That's laughable. I've had 3 tires replaced, complete rim and tire swaps, all being balanced multiple times and it still vibrates. Good luck. Don't drink the koolaid.

yup. read one of my replies above... been there too

Thankfully I am in talks with GM about a buyback or trade assist. just trying to get final numbers nailed down.

hmm 2 complaints, mind you the guy with the tundra admitted going to lt tires from p tires. lt tires will have more road input than a p tire...

id still take that 1 complaint from an individual who admitted to modifying his truck in a manner that could cause the issue to this http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/page-622

ohh and that tundra is also a gen 2, not a gen 3. yes for all intents and purposes, they are the same truck... but still

the lead mechanic at our local chevy dealer told me 75% of the vehicles have vibration issues. he believe the 2014 design update is 'too stiff'. i agree with his view on the new design being too stiff.

the service manager told me an exhaust system solution that should address vibration issues is coming from gm, just not sure when... i am skeptical that an exhaust change could resolve the vibration problem our suburban is experiencing... & believe gm will ultimately find a solution, but may need to make some design changes that are deep in the platform design to get it resolved....

we really like our 2015 suburban, just want the vibration issue resolved... & believe gm will get it done, eventually:)

I've got the GM Borla cat back system and still have the vibes.

Vibe with stock exhaust,vibes with the Borla.....but at least it sounds better

Archived