my 2014 was as smooth as glass until i hit 30k and now it has as aweful resonation in v4 mode and the truck now vibrates between 50 and 60 mph , new tires and rims and still vibrates bad

If you haven't already, join here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/page-624

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2015 is in the shop now for the 5th or 6th time in 3 months of ownership. The 2016 crew cab LT loaner with 1500 miles on it shakes pretty friggin' bad. It needs motor mount shims and a RF balance for sure. Disgusting.

• 1 month later...

I just replaced my 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71 with a lightly used (4,200 miles) 2016 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 thinking moving up to the 6.2L engine and the 8-speed tranny was going to be a nice step up, not to mention getting my truck back to full warranty. The only thing that I had an issue with on my 2014 Chevy was the 6 speed transmission was pretty hard shifting and the 5.3 is somewhat lackluster in power when pulling anything, other than that, great truck. Long story short I purchased the GMC yesterday and on my 300 mile journey home I began noticing my passenger seat making a noise and vibrating a great deal. This persisted the entire trip at 70-80 mph. The vibration varies, but is so bad that I can't rest my head on the headrest without getting sick and is especially bad when cornering on the highway.

My question for anyone that has had this issue is should I head to the dealer, can't get me in until next week, and try and get this fixed? My other option as of right now is to take this truck back to the dealer I purchased it from and get my old truck back. I love everything else about this newer truck, but I don't want to deal with a headache of something that they may or may not be able to fix. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has had this issue.

My personal opinion is if you pay 50K for a truck, this isn't the way to get the massaging seats option.....

Demand test driving over all surfaces situations and long hwy duration. Put at least 100 miles on the truck test driving. These trucks have differences on how they drive and feel. So take your time test driving. Don't trust anyone except what you feel in the test driving. Don't go in blindly like I did.

New 2017 Dbl Cab standard box 6.2L 4x4.

Well, only 175 miles on her and Ive got the dreaded vibration. Happens around 66 mph (it does it at other speeds as well) while cruising with a very light load on the engine (1500 rpm), even happens while going up a slight incline (1-2 degrees), just as long as there is a light load on the engine. Going downhill, smooth as silk at any speed. The vibration seems to oscillate (vibration for 1-2 secs, then smooth for 1-2 secs, then repeats). I know its not the tires (just rotated them), vibration exactly the same. I played around with the engine rpm at 66 mph while it was in the vibrate mode. I notice the oscillating vibrations around 1500 rpms, when I shift to a lower gear (6th) while cruising, it raises the rpms to around 2500. Poof, vibrations disappear.

Havent been to the dealer as of yet, still trying to collect data on where it does it each and every time so I can sent the tech on that same route so I dont get a "problem can not be duplicated" answer when I pick up my vehicle. But it will go in sometime in the next 2 weeks for this. And yes. It was test driven before purchased.

Demand test driving over all surfaces situations and long hwy duration. Put at least 100 miles on the truck test driving. These trucks have differences on how they drive and feel. So take your time test driving. Don't trust anyone except what you feel in the test driving. Don't go in blindly like I did.

Good advice. I've had GM 4x4s for the last 30-35 years and never had any vibration issues. Went in and test drove my current '16 Z71 only to discover the vibration problem about a week or so after picking it up from the dealer, after a ride on the highway. Didn't test drive on the highway before buying it... very big mistake.

I suspect that what greatly contributes to these vibration problems is the factory transmission shift calibration, which forces the highest possible gear at low speed. this early shifting into high gear, combined with the AFM system cylinder deactivation, possibly at the same time, is most likely a huge contributor to vibration. I would try aftermarket tuning and turning the AFM off before zeroing in on something else.

I have the vibration on my 15. It comes and goes like most of the others. I'm patiently waiting for a real fix for it. Doesn't really bother me. I know it's there but tune it out.

The "fix" is trading in the truck and passing the problem onto someone else.

Archived