What options are a waste of money on the new trucks?

Most people like all the different options but since you had a chance to play with them, which ones do you feel is a waste of money or don't use too much to make it worth it?

I buy base models and add the options accordingly (what is available or on the lot). I am finding this is getting more expensive doing it this way with less discounts etc..

I get a regular pickup and they are always trying to sell me the electrical moving driver'seat. I am a tall person and only driver which I can only place the seat in one spot. There is very little room to store items in back of the seat and no big need to get in back of it.

Once the OnStar free subscription (3 months) is over I don't use it anymore. I doubt I will continue with the WiFi. But the 2016 you get it for 5 years (basic) for free to open doors (by phone) and maintenance updates. A little game changer with OnStar on the newer models.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My '15 came with every available option except the integrated trailer brake controller. I don't tow anything big enough to need it, so no loss there.

Really the only option I never use is the factory nav. It's just terrible. With the new trucks you can use the nav on your phone with CarPlay and Android Auto, so you can skip that one.

The driver alert package is nice, but I could live without it.

I didn't think I would use the sunroof, but I use it all the time. With the sliding rear windows it's like a convertible truck.

I am going to say 4wd on many trucks, especially those down south which you see more and more loaded 4wd's running around on big rims. Really any option you do not need or use is a waste.

If I was to label one particular option it would be the driver alert. If it stopped you then I can see but an audible alert that is overly sensitive is just useless. By the time you figure out what the alert is for it is too late, just pay attention...

Tyler

I am going to say 4wd on many trucks, especially those down south which you see more and more loaded 4wd's running around on big rims. Really any option you do not need or use is a waste.

If I was to label one particular option it would be the driver alert. If it stopped you then I can see but an audible alert that is overly sensitive is just useless. By the time you figure out what the alert is for it is too late, just pay attention...

Tyler

Not counting people with lifted trucks that have low pro tires since people do that all over. I live in the South and we usually get at least 1 decent snow every winter where either 4x4 or auto 4x4 is needed. I remember a few years back every state in the continental US got snow so it seems like it doesn't matter how deep in the South you live, you might still have to deal with snow.Then you have some people that like to go mudding and other off-road. I used to, but not going to do that in this truck. Maybe if I get a 2nd Chevy that's old.

I wouldn't say power seat is a waste as it gives you much more seating comfort to fine tune your driving position. Raise it, lower it, lumbar, get the recline exactly where you want, etc. Another side of this question to consider is resale as certain options work better come trade in time as they add more value to the truck. Up north, plow prep is huge (every HD just about has it, as do a lot of regular cab 1500 trucks). Towing/trailering equipment, power windows, seats, mirrors all help.

Options I find to be a waste are things like lane keep, blind spot, etc (the safety crap) and park sensors (never work up north in the winter). Another thing I find to be a PITA is when they package things. You end up with more stuff you don't want to get what you do want.

IMHO, here's my list of useless options: sliding rear window, and sunroof. I have neither of these options on my RCSB truck.

Never understood the use for the sliding rear window or a sunroof on a truck.

Did wish the manual A/C controls were no longer available on the regular cabs.

The sliding rear window option was a must have for me. I leave it open most of the time in the summer unless I run the AC. I still leave it open when I start the AC to let the hot air exit the cab faster, then close it to keep it cool.. I had one on my regular cab S10. When I bought new florescent light bulb they were too long in the packaging to lie the bed. I just opened the rear window and the last few inches went into the window and they came home safely. I had my cooler with cold drinks in the bed. The rear passsengers can reach out and grab a cold drink reaching out the rear window.

IMHO, here's my list of useless options: sliding rear window, and sunroof. I have neither of these options on my RCSB truck.

Never understood the use for the sliding rear window or a sunroof on a truck.

Did wish the manual A/C controls were no longer available on the regular cabs.

Hey now, those sliding rear windows are mandatory. :thumbs:

As a kid my Grandfather always had Chevy reg cab long bed trucks with a topper.

He was a retired farmer that fished & hunted, so always had a place for the gear. But when we would go to

his cabin on the river 2 hours away, I would be back & forth from the bed to cab for

something. Maybe it was to grab something for him or mess with the dog in back.

Either way it was the coolest thing ever.

Granted, this was over 30 yrs ago & probably not the safest thing in the world compared with todays kids in bubble wrap & helmets to walk outdoors.

He traded trucks every 2 or 3 yrs back then. Curious what he would think of todays trucks...

Sliding rear window is awesome. I open it to vent my truck, plus to be able to hear my dog when she's in the back. Sunroof works the same, it's nice to have it open on a nice spring day.

As for OnStar, I may not subscribe or use it from within my truck, but it sure is nice to be able to start my car from my phone...can't do that without the OnStar module in your vehicle.

Remember when you almost had to get some things as an option because they were way too expensive to buy later. I swear I saw that they charge $185 for black bow ties as an option but you can get them for around $120 retail or $90 if you shop. Granted you have to install but still.

It's far cheaper to add options from the factory then to try and upgrade later.

Biggest waste? For me it would be the navigation. I prefer stand alone units to built in's. Another useless option is the collision avoidance. It's called paying attention, which a person should be doing anyways.

It has to be Nav. Easy with the new trucks to link your phone to the truck and use a nav app which will appear on the truck display. Of course, you need the right phone.

Archived