Hey- I have looked on the interwebs and haven't found much info-

I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH 4200 NEX for my 2005 GMC Sierra.

-Best Buy doesn't say that I can't install the 4200 NEX in the truck. BB can't tell me much of anything about the radio...

-Crutchfield website says it can be installed, but the rear bracket will need to be cut and they don't recommend a retractable display. WTF does that mean?

-The display model at BB won't tilt because of the way it is mounted in their crappy display box.

-Is this radio a tilting or retractable display?

-I read something about a European double DIN mounting face plate/kit. Is that what I'd need to install the AVH 4200 NEX in this truck?

Maybe I am getting way ahead of myself and I really don't need this radio.

What I do need:

-GPS from my phone- I'd like to use Waze because it will synch with my calendar easily.

-Ability to accept hooking up a back up camera

-A 3.5 mm input for my Ham radio outputs

-AM/FM/CD... DVD would be nice but not necessary.

-Hands free phone

It has been while since I installed a car stereo- single DIN in pre-2000's vehicles. I didn't have to mess with crazy chime boxes, and when you turn the key off, the radio didn't stay on for 10 minutes. Stuff like that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You are fine with that. May have to trim a bit inside the dash at the very back. I did the AVIC8100NEX

b81c3d1840fb1e084bb48931cd21281c.jpg

0f8b16ccbb4a4ddf642662e612b41c61.jpg

First off, yes it will fit just fine, secondly i am sorry you had a bad time at Best Buy....

The radio will fit easily but some trimming behind the radio may be necessary as you see in the photos posted above, but not all of that lower bracket needs to be cut, only the center piece with the hole where the factory radio mounted and the 2 side lips. the reason being is that Pioneer Radios are a lot deeper than most of the comparable brands due to their massive heat sink on the back.

As you saw at best buy the display didnt move because the person who knows nothing about car electronics mounted it not thinking about it, same happens in a lot of dashes without proper trimming or fitting it just right. I have the Kenwood version and I didnt need to trim the faceplate because I got it just right in the opening. I did cut out the entire back of mine not because the Kenwood needed it but because I have a lot if wiring for my 5 channel amp and 2 crossovers mounted back there as well. so it just made sense..

Pieces you will need are the

1. 99-2003 Dash kit, that is the DDIN kit that will hold the radio in place of your factory one, get it on amazon or have Best Buy price match them, Best buy will price match items sold and shipped from Amazon

2. RP5-GM11 is the wiring harness that will retain your Class 2 data, Steering Wheel controls, give backup camera outputs for when you do a backup camera. it will retain chimes and Onstar if you pay for it. pretty sweet harness.

3. 40-GM10 antenna adapter, GM uses a mini motorola whereas the radios will have a Standard sized Motorola

Like I said, best buy will price match those 3 to amazon so you can have them immediately.

as far as radio decisions go. make sure the radio you choose can use Waze. PIoneer 4200NEX will also have Android Auto and Apple Carplay compatibility, will use Google maps or iMaps or whatever apple calls their version, those will burn through data though when left on... Pioneer 5200NEX, 7200NEX, and 8200NEX will have built in GPS as well as AA and ACp compatibility with the exception of the 5200NEX not being able to do Android Auto.

I install this stuff for a living so please ask as many question as you need during this process :)

the Pioneer 4100NEX would be a viable option as well as the only difference really is iDatalink Maestro RR compatibility, and our trucks aren't compatible until the 2007 new style. since the new 4200 is out the 4100 is generally below cost now as most shops are trying to kill inventory to make room for the new stuff.

First off, yes it will fit just fine, secondly i am sorry you had a bad time at Best Buy....

The radio will fit easily but some trimming behind the radio may be necessary as you see in the photos posted above, but not all of that lower bracket needs to be cut, only the center piece with the hole where the factory radio mounted and the 2 side lips. the reason being is that Pioneer Radios are a lot deeper than most of the comparable brands due to their massive heat sink on the back.

As you saw at best buy the display didnt move because the person who knows nothing about car electronics mounted it not thinking about it, same happens in a lot of dashes without proper trimming or fitting it just right. I have the Kenwood version and I didnt need to trim the faceplate because I got it just right in the opening. I did cut out the entire back of mine not because the Kenwood needed it but because I have a lot if wiring for my 5 channel amp and 2 crossovers mounted back there as well. so it just made sense..

Pieces you will need are the

1. 99-2003 Dash kit, that is the DDIN kit that will hold the radio in place of your factory one, get it on amazon or have Best Buy price match them, Best buy will price match items sold and shipped from Amazon

2. RP5-GM11 is the wiring harness that will retain your Class 2 data, Steering Wheel controls, give backup camera outputs for when you do a backup camera. it will retain chimes and Onstar if you pay for it. pretty sweet harness.

3. 40-GM10 antenna adapter, GM uses a mini motorola whereas the radios will have a Standard sized Motorola

Like I said, best buy will price match those 3 to amazon so you can have them immediately.

as far as radio decisions go. make sure the radio you choose can use Waze. PIoneer 4200NEX will also have Android Auto and Apple Carplay compatibility, will use Google maps or iMaps or whatever apple calls their version, those will burn through data though when left on... Pioneer 5200NEX, 7200NEX, and 8200NEX will have built in GPS as well as AA and ACp compatibility with the exception of the 5200NEX not being able to do Android Auto.

I install this stuff for a living so please ask as many question as you need during this process :)

the Pioneer 4100NEX would be a viable option as well as the only difference really is iDatalink Maestro RR compatibility, and our trucks aren't compatible until the 2007 new style. since the new 4200 is out the 4100 is generally below cost now as most shops are trying to kill inventory to make room for the new stuff.

Needs 03-06 double din parts. Also i cut the lower portion to help some wiring clear easier since i have 2011 factory USB ports in my console in place of the 12v plugs and running to the radio.

Needs 03-06 double din parts. Also i cut the lower portion to help some wiring clear easier since i have 2011 factory USB ports in my console in place of the 12v plugs and running to the radio.

not sure what you mean by 03-06.. are you referring to my saying 99-2003? because that is the Metra branded part number for the dash kit for the 2003-2006 body style.... :)

but I did the same thing with the 2011 factory USB. works great with my Android Auto!!!

not sure what you mean by 03-06.. are you referring to my saying 99-2003? because that is the Metra branded part number for the dash kit for the 2003-2006 body style.... :)

but I did the same thing with the 2011 factory USB. works great with my Android Auto!!!

Didnt know that was the part number. You see my confusion because 99-02 trucks had a din and a half radio.

That they did, but now thanks to Metra part #DB-3002B a DDIN can now fit without too much modification!

yeah I was hoping my layout cleared things up, but I see that I didnt write brand name in front of the dash kit or the antenna adapter, which are both Metra and the RP5 is PAC. sorry about that :)

• 4 months later...

*Update*

- I got the 4200 NEX installed with the Metra kit. No issues. Part# 95-2001

- I used the wiring kit to make things easier to hook up. I forget what part # I used.

- I installed the micro bypass so I don't have to wire the parking brake to the radio.

- I have yet to completely wire up the backup camera. I am trying to find on the internet where I can easily find and connect to the reverse wire.

- I cut the crap out of the back of the opening so everything would fit.

A couple things I learned:

Hook up two USB cables to the unit before you installed it so you can use both of them without pulling the unit back out to install another cable.

This is a great unit- I can plug the 3.5 mm cable into my ham radios to get the audio on the truck speakers. I was able to put a picture as the background. Just size your photo to 800x 480. The Bluetooth phone connectivity is awesome for a hands-free experience.

Now I have one issue: I haven't been able to get Waze to pull on the radio unit yet.

Brandon- any ideas?

Archived