2016 Chevy Colorado Sales Surge - Up 55% In April!

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-85913000-1462314512_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5/3/2016

April was the Colorado's best sales month ever. The work GM did to its production line late last year and early this year has obviously resulted in more truck capacity. At 10,362 units sold last month, GM says the Colorado's sales are up 55%. By our math it is 47%, but why split hairs? Either way it is an amazing result. The GMC Canyon was up 23% last month with sales at 3,026.

So, are you wondering if the combined 13,388 sales of the Colorado and Canyon topped the Tacoma this month? I was. Sorry to disappoint, but the Tacoma also had its best-ever month with sales over 18,000 units in April. Incredibly, the Tundra also had a decent month, so this was not a case of Toyota temporarily shutting down Tundra production to boost Tacoma (they share the same facility). The Nissan Frontier also had a good month with sales over 7,000 units. Nobody saw that coming.

That guy at Ford who said "No, let's skip the next generation Ranger, mid-size is dead." Yeah, he is not at Ford anymore. He and the Dodge Ram guy that killed the Dakota are now "spending more time with the family." Just a wild guess.

From the spy stuff I've come across Ford is testing the crap out of the ranger so don't be surprised if it makes and early arrival to the market.

Wouldn't suprise me. I doubt Ford will let GM run away in this share of the market without an answer of their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't suprise me. I doubt Ford will let GM run away in this share of the market without an answer of their own.

I doubt we'll see an S10/Sonoma anytime soon. I'm a drop in the bucket of a very few individuals who actually want a small truck to replace my '92 toyota pickup. But it still gets 28mpg, has a 7' long bed, a/c blows cold and only has 152K miles. Oh, and it's been long paid for. The new Colorado is too big, the bed is too short, no base model is available with a diesel, and the price is over the moon for what a medium size truck should cost.

Archived