Nate805's 2014 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 CCSB

cNate

I actually have the subs already from previous vehicles. That's what I meant about it being too tall. Thanks for checking on the box. I like the look and for the single sub.

Ah, I see. You could ask a shop to build a custom box to fit the sub and seat. You need enough clearance below and above the sub so if it's a really big magnet or deep sub, it'll be tough to fit. You might want to consider selling the two you have now and purchasing a slim woofer with the money. There are some that range from $180-500 depending on what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That JL sub looks just as narrow if not narrower than my sub. You just need to build a box. The one I used was cheap $100 range and made to fit our trucks. The shop I went to did a little extra trimming to minimize the width so that it was only under the one seat. It does make the seat firmer and it isn't 100% flush anymore when closed. Slightly higher. Spending the money to have a custom box built would be more money but you might be able to get it flush and minimize how firm the seat is by leaving some space under the seat. I might end up doing this myself. I was just trying to save $200 as a custom box was quoted at $300 and that seemed too much for a few pieces of wood. Maybe I should sort out how to make one myself!

• 1 month later...

How do you like the BDS lift so far? I'm thinking of getting the Zone 6.5 with 35's, curious to where you got your kit installed and how much it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Socal.

Very happy with the BDS lift. I've never had a lifted truck/SUV and now I can't imagine driving a truck or SUV that isn't lifted! I didn't get the coil overs with the kit, truck rides great and is still capable off road. I have taken the truck through trails at Big Bear, Gorman and to the sand dunes in Pismo. It's done just fine; however, you could drive much more aggressive with the coil overs. I'll likely add them down the line.

As for shops, I took my truck to Go Big Truck Performance in Ventura, CA. The shop is family owned and well experienced. They do good work and stand behind it. The owner charged me $700 for install and alignment on the lift. The lift and tires were priced competitively (lift was a bit lower than any online price, tires were as low as any price I could find online). I also added the AMP steps. Also priced competitively. Lift, tires and install were $4400. Steps and sub were more. I'm somewhere around $6,700 in aftermarket.

I have the 3.42 gears and the truck drives fine. With the new tires the effective ratio is 3.12. I may throw 4.10 or 4.56 gears on the truck because I tow and actually use the truck off road and want more get up and go!

• Like 1

Any issues with the tires rubbing? What offset are your stock 20's? I'm not a big fan of the tires sticking out, so I wonder if 20's with 0 offset and 35's will clear fine. the Zone lift is .5" higher than the BDS at 6.5" vs BDS 6".

I went with BDS' recommended 35x12.50x20. No rub, no trimming. I've driven it 3k miles and on a lot of different terrain with no rub. I didn't need spacers either.

• Like 1

Give zone a call and ask them what tire and wheel sizes they recommend for the 6.5" lift. I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what setups work.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been awhile since I’ve posted. I’ve got 48k miles on the truck in just about 3.5 years. Pretty low considering how often I travel to the mountains. It helps that my daily work commute is only 15 miles.

Truck has not had any issues due to the lift or larger tires. Just had the recalls everyone else had plus an AC issue that was fixed with new lines early on.

Truck still looks great to me. Pic taken last night at the beach about 15 mins from my house off the PCH in So Cal.

03ae493cbb392fefa57d3b6191632fd3.jpg

d0766dfc685d14fb4e9fb25935b6d41d.jpg

• 5 months later...

Truck is back in the shop. I bought a 34’ travel trailer so it’s time for a few upgrades:

1. Trailer break
2. 4.10 gears
3. Superchips Tuner (recalibrate for tires and gears)
4. Add a leaf (level truck since I didn’t add the leaf at time of BDS 6” lift and the nose is sticking up a bit. Want the truck level before putting that trailer on it.
4. Tow mirrors

Was hesitant to throw another $3k or so into the truck since I want a Duramax but the 2020 is a year away and I’m not digging the 2019 1500 body styles.

• 4 weeks later...

Added a SuperSpring as well to improve sag and sway on truck while towing. Ended up with the DQS tow mirrors and using Phil’s RZY harness and door harnesses plus diode mode. Mirrors and lighting are awesome!