Trailer Length Concern

Brian,

Understand wanting a king bed, but as you see there is always those that say you will be just fine towing trailer "X" because it is under your tow rating. Unfortunately there are other things to take into consideration as I posted when it comes to towing, especially when towing travel trailers or 5vers. They are in no way the same as towing an open trailer or boat, especially if it has a v shaped hull, but a ponoon is a little closer due to the wind resistance. The big difference though is still the tongue weight. One thing I would never do is suggest someone will be fine towing trailer "X" when they will be just about at the max receiver hitch tw rating before even loading the tt up with bedding, clothes, cooking items, and other stuff. You need to keep the tw ~12-15% for a safe, stable tow. This varies from tt to tt, but is an average. Less than that can and probably will have sway due to to light of a tw.

Here is the chart I mentioned.

4B77A6EF-A16A-495A-845A-E9C335FD4F7E_zps

I have never seen anything that states a "law" regarding trailer length vs tv (just overall length of the tv and trailer), this is a recommendation. Can't recall exactly where I originally found it, but luckily found the chart again on another site and saved it.

I would suggest a different wdh, one that has integrated sway control. Main reason is when making a sharp turn (more so when backing into a driveway or campsite) you need to remove the side mounted sway controls to prevent damage. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system (as posted) are all very good systems for the price. The Reese hitch head (same for both models) does have a little more fine tuning adjustment compared to the Equal-I-Zer system, but you will not go wrong with any of them. There is a couple newer wdh systems on the market. The Recurve R6, which Roscoe (member here) has last I knew, and the Blue Ox. Just not sure how the BO system works exactly. I understand the idea behind it, but to me it just doesn't seem like it would work. So do your homework if you look into one of those models...

Good luck in your search!!!

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I may need to reconsider the length and the weight of the trailer. We were really wanting one with a King size bed and enough space for us and the dogs to move around in comfortably so we would also like at least one slide.

While the truck could do it if set up correctly, that is a really long trailer and might not be much fun to tow--how far/how often are you planning to tow it? Personally, if I wanted that long a trailer/that much space and was going to spend a lot of time on the road with it I'd look at some of the 1/2 ton towable 5th Wheels. Here's a few brands to look at: http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/half-ton-fun/

Yes, that will give a conniption to the payload police (too bad your truck isn't a 2015 with that extra 400 lbs of capacity on the sticker), but a 5th wheel of equivalent weight and length will tow so much more safely and comfortably and of course maneuvering it around will be off the charts easier. You'll need an expensive sliding hitch but you're planning to spend a large amount of money--getting something you really like is usually a good idea when you're doing that.

Brian,

Understand wanting a king bed, but as you see there is always those that say you will be just fine towing trailer "X" because it is under your tow rating. Unfortunately there are other things to take into consideration as I posted when it comes to towing, especially when towing travel trailers or 5vers. They are in no way the same as towing an open trailer or boat, especially if it has a v shaped hull, but a ponoon is a little closer due to the wind resistance. The big difference though is still the tongue weight. One thing I would never do is suggest someone will be fine towing trailer "X" when they will be just about at the max receiver hitch tw rating before even loading the tt up with bedding, clothes, cooking items, and other stuff. You need to keep the tw ~12-15% for a safe, stable tow. This varies from tt to tt, but is an average. Less than that can and probably will have sway due to to light of a tw.

Here is the chart I mentioned.

4B77A6EF-A16A-495A-845A-E9C335FD4F7E_zps

I have never seen anything that states a "law" regarding trailer length vs tv (just overall length of the tv and trailer), this is a recommendation. Can't recall exactly where I originally found it, but luckily found the chart again on another site and saved it.

I would suggest a different wdh, one that has integrated sway control. Main reason is when making a sharp turn (more so when backing into a driveway or campsite) you need to remove the side mounted sway controls to prevent damage. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system (as posted) are all very good systems for the price. The Reese hitch head (same for both models) does have a little more fine tuning adjustment compared to the Equal-I-Zer system, but you will not go wrong with any of them. There is a couple newer wdh systems on the market. The Recurve R6, which Roscoe (member here) has last I knew, and the Blue Ox. Just not sure how the BO system works exactly. I understand the idea behind it, but to me it just doesn't seem like it would work. So do your homework if you look into one of those models...

Good luck in your search!!!

Here some additional information:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

so long

j-ten-ner

Thanks for all the replies! I have had a long few days at work so I am sorry I haven't responded sooner. I am now looking at a much lighter trailer around 26-28 feet long. Also, thanks for the hitch suggestions and the wheelbase guide!

Archived