Did I Shorten It's Lifespan??

Hey all, new GMC owner and new to the forum. So... Last night I was getting ready to pass someone and hit the peddle, (I am past the 500 mile break in). I then saw another car approaching in the distance and decided to wait. Well, the engine rev'd way up to like 5K-6K RPM's or so and the gear never engaged. So it was up that high without a load. I am terrified that I hurt something or created premature wear. The motor only has 900 miles. What do you all think? Thanks for any input. I have searched but can only find info about rev limiters and people trying to alter them.

Others have had this happen the gear was engaged however for some reason these trucks downshift to low.

I can actually get mine to do Dull throttle when it downshifts get right off the gas then back on a half throttle and it picks the wrong gear and rev's the engine up.

Based on the myriad of different break in procedures people suggest (Baby it, drive it like you stole it, high revs/low speeds, etc), I think your fine. The dealer filled my 6.2L up with 87 instead on 91 which I feel would be worse than 1 or 2 high rpm revs. I filled with 91 as soon as I was at half a tank though.

Based on the myriad of different break in procedures people suggest (Baby it, drive it like you stole it, high revs/low speeds, etc), I think your fine. The dealer filled my 6.2L up with 87 instead on 91 which I feel would be worse than 1 or 2 high rpm revs. I filled with 91 as soon as I was at half a tank though.

My dealer would have had an ear full if they did that to me.

To the OP, I doubt you did anything to hurt it. One high rev like that shouldn't do anything to the engine. I would recommend you change the oil sooner though.

Babying it and doing the grandpa on it in its infancy has more potential for detrimental effects than any rpm burst ever could. Hopefully your rings sealed.... lots drive like grandpa and then complain their truck slobbers like mad through the PCV..... it's not a coincidence.

My dealer would have had an ear full if they did that to me.

To the OP, I doubt you did anything to hurt it. One high rev like that shouldn't do anything to the engine. I would recommend you change the oil sooner though.

Yes I was planning on 2500 miles to get rid of the break in oil anyway. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better about it now. I probably over-worry since it is my first new vehicle and I tend to keep them for a lifetime. Hoping to have this at least 10 years. I want to do everything to keep it as new as possible for as long as possible. Reading through this forum, looks like an oil catch can may be my next upgrade.. Oh and I am not sure about this AFM crap either. Oops, sorry, didn't mean to hijack my own thread.

Got the oil changed today a 975 miles. The guys thought I was crazy since the oil is synthetic and can go 5000 miles, (basically telling me that I was wasting $$). I tried to explain the break in thing, but they probably thought I was just being paranoid. Oh well, hopefully this will get rid of any metal and i'll be good for 5000 from here on out.

I for one, with a new car have always done the first oil change (and usually a trans fluid change, too) at the 500 mile mark. Never had any detrimental effects, and always have had long-lasting components that I believe were partially due to that policy...YMMV, IMO, etc

• 1 month later...

Got the oil changed today a 975 miles. The guys thought I was crazy since the oil is synthetic and can go 5000 miles, (basically telling me that I was wasting $$). I tried to explain the break in thing, but they probably thought I was just being paranoid. Oh well, hopefully this will get rid of any metal and i'll be good for 5000 from here on out.

Isn't it 7500 miles till change? This is what the oil life monitor on the trucks is programed for. My dealer wants 5000 mile changes, but they are also in it for a profit. I'm sticking with 7500 miles.

Draining the initial oil from the factory at a 1000 miles is a good idea to get the wear metals out of it. After that do whatever schedule you wish.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Archived