2016 2500- Whistling noise at idle

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS. I'm guessing the noise was there when you bought the truck it just wasn't to the point were it was noticeable to you. it seems like some get worse with time.

PS. I'm guessing the noise was there when you bought the truck it just wasn't to the point were it was noticeable to you. it seems like some get worse with time.

if it was there I did not hear it. Was your hydro boost replaced or unhhoked?

I've pointed the noise out to a couple of different sales guys (on different trucks) who said they did not notice the noise until I pointed it out. (That kind of noise). The truck I ordered was so loud my deaf grandmother would have noticed it right away.

They said they changed out the booster and changed the fluid. Ive read on this message board that if u disconnect the booster the noise is still there.

Like I said, I think some are or get worse than others. My dealership never heard about the problem until my truck came up. Went out and found the noise on other HDs on their lot, but the noise from mine was the worst.

Call around and see if other service managers in your area have any neg feedback. It's only on the 2016s and the digital assist system is not in the work truck models. Good luck.

The noise I'm referring to is more of a whistling noise you'd hear if you were low on power steering fluid. It shows up at idle. It goes away when your turning the wheel left or right then comes back when you stop the turn. I also noticed a small split second change in the noise when I tap the breaks.

Hopefully it's the booster on yours which is causing most of the noise. Keep me in the loop. I really wanted this truck but backed out of the deal.

The noise I'm referring to is more of a whistling noise you'd hear if you were low on power steering fluid. It shows up at idle. It goes away when your turning the wheel left or right then comes back when you stop the turn. I also noticed a small split second change in the noise when I tap the breaks.

Hopefully it's the booster on yours which is causing most of the noise. Keep me in the loop. I really wanted this truck but backed out of the deal.

It reduce the noise a little. The service guy said the only reason GM told them to replace that part was due to that 1 out of 3 trucks on there lot was quite. Said he would stay in touch with GM to try to get problem solved. Just like most stated on this form until more guys complain GM is likely to ignore problem. Reduced noise enough that it is hardly noticeable. If heater/A/C fan is on low you cannot hear it. Wife can't belive I could hear it to begin with let alone now. I still love the truck. Will know more next spring when I pull out 32 ft camper with it. Upgraded from f150 it pulled camper well had more than engough power but suspension was not the greatest.

Good for you. The one I was looking at was terrible from the beginning with very little change after the booster change. I'm currently in the process of trying to find another truck just like the one I ordered with lower noise. I highly doubt the dealer will be able to sell the one they ordered for me, my deaf grandmother wouldn't have bought that truck based on the noise. Anyhow congrats and enjoy the new ride.

• 2 months later...

I also have this noise in the steering or so called hydro booster. My dealer has not fixed yet. They replaced a power steering pump and it did not help. The noise is very annoying and started about a month after purchase. It also has a high pitch whistle every so often at idle. I'm not very happy. I want my high dollar truck to sound normal and right now it doesn't. Bad part now is the belt is making an awful noise. My dealer had to order one. Very frustrating!!

Archived