Death Wobble at 45+

Well I hope you disclosed the problem to the dealer!!! If you didn't, you owe to the next guy to tell them.

Your words below....

I've got an invoice from the dealer I went to the first time which includes tire rebalance and rotation, front suspension inspection, and steering system function inspection. No major parts were replaced according to the paperwork. After the second time, I took it to my local alignment shop that I've been using for years and they were stumped too. Told me I should sell it asap but I don't want blood on my hands for this.

The Dodge dealer knows all about it, I made sure of that. They said they've had three of these traded in for the same problem since 2014 (who knows, dealers say a lot of things) Took a pretty decent hit on it but it wasn't worth driving or having my wife drive it. If I waited to have it happen again it may have been the last thing I ever did. At least my new truck has a clutch, getting used to this again makes me feel 16 again! Lovin it

Well, it kills me to say it but this new ram is a pretty decent truck. Everything feels so much more solid and heavy duty than my Silverado did. Sorry guys, I know you probably hate to hear it. I just can't believe how great it feels to drive a standard shift again, makes me feel like my tough old grandpa, who would rather die than drive automatic. I think we've become too lazy. Bid you the best

It's true, I think it only has about 610 lbft of torque but at least it will last forever. That combined with not feeling like I'm a soccer mom driving a mini van feels a heck of a lot better haha. I don't think I'll ever go back to the automatic.

Did some homework on this thing too and the tranny is a Mercedes G56 which they've used in 2.5 ton and up Mercedes HD trucks and the rear end is the same AAM 11.5 as my Duramax was but this has 4:10 gears. Towing is a dream! This jake brake is amazing, brakes should last forever. My brother has always bought Cummins with sticks and has run 3 of his over 600k with no problems...he always liked to rub that in my face since my Chevys were always needing a trans or something every 100k or so. I've been manipulated but I can't find a single thing I don't like about this truck!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/15/2016 at 7:11 PM, Bowtieordie221 said:

Hey Guys, first time posting on this particular forum but I'm hoping somebody can give me an answer. I've always been a Chevy guy, and recently sold my 2006 Duramax because of some transmission issues that the shop and dealer couldn't figure out. Now, my 2016 with 6k miles is having issues that the dealer can't figure out, and they are intermittent. It started first for me this winter when we had some snow on the roads, I was doing about 40-45 miles an hour when the truck started to wobble horribly! The steering wheel pulled out of my hands it was so bad. I slowed and it stopped. Then I sped back up and the truck was fine, no wobble at all. I took it in to the dealer and they told me everything looked fine, and that it may have been a pothole that got the frame resonating. I drove it away, not happy with the answer but thought maybe it's possible that this was some freak pothole. Then about 3 weeks ago it did the same thing when my wife was driving and she ended up crossing over oncoming traffic and stopping on the other shoulder! I took it back to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong or even replicate the problem. They did say that there is a known 'tuning fork' issue with these frames that can cause a similar problem if you hit a rough patch of road. Has anybody had this??

I own a 2016 GMC 2500 with a Duramax diesel. I have 58,000 miles on it. With about 20,000 miles on it, it did the same thing as yours did to your wife. It jerked the steering wheel out of my hands and my steering wheel turned 20 degrees and I fought that issue for 2 days. I called my dealer and they said they didn't have a loaner, but I could drop it off. This is my only vehicle. I said, "so you say I can drive it?" They only said I could drop it off. That was on a Tuesday, I got a sister dealer to take the vehicle in on that Friday with a loaner. By that time the wobble disappeared. Nothing was found. It happened twice more in the next year, but only for a couple minutes. It's now at at dealer with a terrible death wobble. I just found out the cost.....$1700+. This is my last GM vehicle.

17 minutes ago, i82much said:

I hope you enjoy your new truck, but we need to talk about your user name ?

Haha, true, haven’t been here since I posted that and as much as it hurts me to say, my new truck is great. I just wish Chevy still made manual trans/straight axle trucks. 

5 minutes ago, Bowtieordie221 said:

Haha, true, haven’t been here since I posted that and as much as it hurts me to say, my new truck is great. I just wish Chevy still made manual trans/straight axle trucks. 

Yeah I have an old 72 K10 longbed, TH350 but I'd like to do an SM-465 or maybe an NV4500.  I'm fine with IFS, in fact I really like my IFS 2500HD, and I love my 6.0 vortec.  But I do wish i could have a manual trans shifter on the floor next to my transfer case shifter. 

4 minutes ago, i82much said:

Yeah I have an old 72 K10 longbed, TH350 but I'd like to do an SM-465 or maybe an NV4500.  I'm fine with IFS, in fact I really like my IFS 2500HD, and I love my 6.0 vortec.  But I do wish i could have a manual trans shifter on the floor next to my transfer case shifter. 

Yeah, I’ve got a 74 K30 with a NP435 and a front Dana 60, it’s does what a truck should. When they made the switch to IFS I felt like they were trying to make them more like cars and less like work horses and man I had some problems with the steering system on my latest Dmax. The 2008 I had before that went through ball joints and control arm bushings like they were candy and I finally switched up to the new model which was a mistake. I’ve got 88k on my Cummins and haven’t had a single problem with it, honestly think I should have taken my brothers advice years ago. The interior and everything is nicer and it does better in the snow and mud than my Dmaxs did.