2016 SLT lights in 14/15 SLT/All Terrain almost done

• 3 weeks later...

Harness runs about $199 and the lights are whatever you can find them for on ebay or local junkyards. Around $790 each side seems to be cheapest direct from GM while they can be found as low as $300 w/ missing tabs, scratches etc.

Gen5diy has the correct harness and sometimes the lights... .

Sorry I'm a little late, I've been in the Caribbean for a little over a week and just getting around to posting pictures. I know there was a lot of fuss of whether or not the SLT lights would so I bit the bullet and bought a used set to test. I got the lights and with the help of a fried who owns a 16 and you guys providing a pin out I was able to get the light working. The only issue I found was the DRL did not cut off when the turn signal was activated. Some may like this some may not. I however do not. When the sun is out full force and the DRL is at full brightness the LED turn signal is a little faint. Plus i'm picky and would like to stay close as factory options as possible. With all that being said I figured a switchback circuit inline with the adapter would cut the DRL off once the turn signal got power. Only problem is I have no clue how to build one so I reached out to GEN5 and they were more than helpful. I sent my light to Jarrod a little over 2.5 months ago and the process of building a harness began. For you guys that already have the SLT lights you can thank me later, JK. Anyways the harness for the 14-15 SLT is still being tweaked as its different from the SLE's but here you go.

Still have a couple kinks to work out but they work. Switchback circuit is being. No biggie Offer is on it as we speak.

SLT lights part numbers:

The harness

HLdyIKE.jpg

One of the issues

vJRJvor.jpg

Out with the old in with the new

0vZ81v1.jpg

Things were a little dirty so what better time to pressure wash

Kb3yP3b.jpg

We have some light

f37uXmO.jpg

Headlights work, thats a plus

4chgPrL.jpg

all done for now

hVCbuo6.jpg

qfYsmhX.jpg

Hi...your truck looks awesome!!.... besides the small issue with the daytime lights not going off when you use signal light, were the 2016 lights just simple "plug n Play"?...also, is 2016 SIERRA, SLE, SLT the same light?...thanks

Hi...your truck looks awesome!!.... besides the small issue with the daytime lights not going off when you use signal light, were the 2016 lights just simple "plug n Play"?...also, is 2016 SIERRA, SLE, SLT the same light?...thanks

Thanks! Yeah with the gen5 harness its all plug n play. The DRL's cutting off with the turn signal is about to be fixed. I'm working with Jarod with a solution. The SLE is different from the SLT. The SLE has a halogen turn signal in the center of the light instead of the LED and the headlight is HID where the SLT is LED.

Thanks! Yeah with the gen5 harness its all plug n play. The DRL's cutting off with the turn signal is about to be fixed. I'm working with Jarod with a solution. The SLE is different from the SLT. The SLE has a halogen turn signal in the center of the light instead of the LED and the headlight is HID where the SLT is LED.

If I have a 2014 SLE would I be able to buy the 2016 SLT lights with LED turn signal and LED bulbs and have a harness from Gen5 work as plug and play?

If I have a 2014 SLE would I be able to buy the 2016 SLT lights with LED turn signal and LED bulbs and have a harness from Gen5 work as plug and play?

Yep. Everything should be the same expect your DRL will now be LED instead of the headlights.

SLT lights part numbers:

f37uXmO.jpg

I have a question. When I look up the headlights just going by year, make, model.... It bring up the headlights for Sierra and Silverado.

The part number you have listed here is shown as Sierra; W/O LED; Left or Right. Which LED is it talking about I wonder? It has another listing for Sierra; W/ LED left and right for a cheaper price. It has me confused.

SLT lights part numbers:

f37uXmO.jpg

I have a question. When I look up the headlights just going by year, make, model.... It bring up the headlights for Sierra and Silverado.

The part number you have listed here is shown as Sierra; W/O LED; Left or Right. Which LED is it talking about I wonder? It has another listing for Sierra; W/ LED left and right for a cheaper price. It has me confused.

The sle model is different and has no led blinker is the only thing I can think of. Those part #s are from the back of each of my lights

So, I've been following this topic for a while and finally had some time to play around with a circuit to turn the DRL off when the turn signal is flashing.

drl-cancel_zpsk0yaxiii.png

Plot_zpsuabj6ukz.png

I have no idea what Gen5 is working on but I got this circuit to work in a simulator.

V1 is the DRL switched power supply.

V2 is the flashing signal in the light harness for the turn signal.

The "Turn Cancel" switch is not an actual circuit item; I just used it to simulate the turn signal being shut off at t=10s.

"Turn" is the turn signal LED

R3 is the LED load resistor to prevent hyperflash.

C1 is a capacitor that is charged by the turn signal every time it flashes.

D2 prevents the capacitor from providing power to the turn signal LED when the flasher in in between flashes and after it is shut off.

R1 controls the rate of discharge of the capacitor to be longer than the duration of the flash. This keeps the voltage to the base of the NPN transistor above the "on threshold" even when the flasher is in between flashes.

R2 limits the emitter current of the transistor.

As long as the "on threshold" is met, the transistor allows current to flow through the relay coil, disconnecting the DRL LED power supply.

When the turn signal is turned off (simulated by opening the "Turn Cancel" switch at t=10s) the capacitor fully discharges and the transistor switches off, releasing the relay, and restoring power to the DRL LED.

The TVS Diode prevents the high voltage spike generated by the magnetic field of the relay coil collapsing when it is turned off.

Edited by aflesch
  • Like 3

So, I've been following this topic for a while and finally had some time to play around with a circuit to turn the DRL off when the turn signal is flashing.

drl-cancel_zpsk0yaxiii.png

Plot_zpsuabj6ukz.png

I have no idea what Gen5 is working on but I got this circuit to work in a simulator.

V1 is the DRL switched power supply.

V2 is the flashing signal in the light harness for the turn signal.

The "Turn Cancel" switch is not an actual circuit item; I just used it to simulate the turn signal being shut off at t=10s.

"Turn" is the turn signal LED

R3 is the LED load resistor to prevent hyperflash.

C1 is a capacitor that is charged by the turn signal every time it flashes.

D2 prevents the capacitor from providing power to the turn signal LED when the flasher in in between flashes and after it is shut off.

R1 controls the rate of discharge of the capacitor to be longer than the duration of the flash. This keeps the voltage to the base of the NPN transistor above the "on threshold" even when the flasher is in between flashes.

R2 limits the emitter current of the transistor.

As long as the "on threshold" is met, the transistor allows current to flow through the relay coil, disconnecting the DRL LED power supply.

When the turn signal is turned off (simulated by opening the "Turn Cancel" switch at t=10s) the capacitor fully discharges and the transistor switches off, releasing the relay, and restoring power to the DRL LED.

The TVS Diode prevents the high voltage spike generated by the magnetic field of the relay coil collapsing when it is turned off.

Nice work! I will pass along the info. I'm taking a simpler approach at the moment using these: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-halos-strips/morimoto-xchange-switchback-drivers.html#.V3O_VbgrK71 I figure for the price its easier than making a switchback circuit. Should know before the weekend if they work or not.

• Like 1