Help sway the truck decision

Well looks like this fall or fall of 2017 is going to be my time to purchase a new ride. Per the tax lady!!! I'm so torn it's a tough decision. I feel like a woman in a mall of pocketbooks and cheap fancy cloths. I can't make up my mind. So I'm looking for some input.

Pending how my calves sell this fall will dictate if it's this fall or next. So incase this fall im trying to make up my mind what to get.

I'm stuck between a 6.0 and diesel in the 2500 or 3500 in atleast a double cab but likely crew cab. I have an 06 6.0 that's been a horse and done fantastic. But at times with some of these kids ive hauled I need a little more than the 6.0 offers. Yet I don't haul exactly often enough to justify a diesel so makes it hard to spend the extra $. Plus the 6.0 in a crew cab will be even weaker than my current double cab has been at times and mpg!!! We don't well I don't buy a 3/4 or ton truck with mpg in mind cause I need it and work it. But in a crew cab the diesel vs gas may be a game changer in power and mpg differences.

My dad has a 2010 ford diesel with like 40xxx miles. (No I don't ride daddy's money I'm 30 but work on his farm). I've hauled with it and he never has. He got it as a Sunday ride. I just use it lately when I'm hauling a load on the 24' cattle trailer. He tells me to just get a gas that I don't need a diesel that I can just use his when I'm hauling heavier loads but I hate to borrow and it scares me something silly out of the ordinary happen and I mess his ride up then there I'll be.

For the cost it's hard to spend the extra on diesel when I have dads at my finger tips but I'd like to have the extra power in my own ride so I don't half to feel like a bum. Although my 06 6.0 is still Hammering so price and reliability keeps me in mind of the 6.0 but as mentioned been times it's just needed more umph. Far as down payment I can have anywhere from 17k-30k as a down payment but I'm keeping my old truck. I have a hard time spending 48-49k on a crew cab duramax vs 38 for a 6.0 but the power and mpg on crew cabs just make me hesitant.

What would you do? Also this truck won't exactly be a everyday farm truck but it will be worked. So 20" rims 6" lifts and fancy lights and such isn't at essence. I would real input from those who work these trucks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd stick with the 6.0. The engine has had some hp/torque improvements since your '06. Between that and the couple extra gears they have now you might get a whole mpg better lol. You could just get a 6.0 double cab, 3500 SRW to widen your choices even farther.

Personally I'd stick with the 6.0. The engine has had some hp/torque improvements since your '06. Between that and the couple extra gears they have now you might get a whole mpg better lol. You could just get a 6.0 double cab, 3500 SRW to widen your choices even farther.

Agreed that 3500 is enticing. I'd give up some smooth riding from the 2500 but the suspension and such a 3500 offers would Be a help but for the short price difference or 2-3k may as well go crew cab for the room. But hooking up to a gooseneck it's a crew cab would suck!

See I nit pick it all lol

Well, my 2015 2500 6.0 does all I ever need in my rural farmland neck of the woods. I primarily needed it for haul capacity over a 1500 as opposed to heavy towing frequently. Shop around. Some dealers will give some pretty good incentives on 6.0 equipped pickups. And has been stated, sometimes the cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 SRW is nothing. I would think a 6.0L equipped 3500 DRW would even come close depending on dealer. I had several dealers closer, but I went with a dealer 60 miles away because they offered the best deal. You can even have a dealer bring a vehicle you like from another dealer. I have done that several times in the past.

Well, my 2015 2500 6.0 does all I ever need in my rural farmland neck of the woods. I primarily needed it for haul capacity over a 1500 as opposed to heavy towing frequently. Shop around. Some dealers will give some pretty good incentives on 6.0 equipped pickups. And has been stated, sometimes the cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 SRW is nothing. I would think a 6.0L equipped 3500 DRW would even come close depending on dealer. I had several dealers closer, but I went with a dealer 60 miles away because they offered the best deal. You can even have a dealer bring a vehicle you like from another dealer. I have done that several times in the past.

I'd love to have a DRW and a flatbed but I can't justify a dually. I've always owned 2500's and hear the 3500 rides more ruff but I personally can't say. But the 3500 I think is atop my list. Does the 3500 have the Allison with the 6.0 or it still the heavy duty tranny in the other 6.0 trucks?

Another thing I hate is automatic lol but nothing I can do there.

Forgot to mention, the 3500, even with the 6.0L, gets the same HD rear diff as the Dmax/Allison versions.

Forgot to mention, the 3500, even with the 6.0L, gets the same HD rear diff as the Dmax/Allison versions.

With the added weight wonder if mpg drops much from a double can to a crew cab? Autos won't get as good as a manual so I'm curious.

I have seen no evidence of a mpg difference between DC and CC. Weight difference is inconsequential. Length of box, 8 ft as opposed to 6.5 ft, would have more effect.

I have seen no evidence of a mpg difference between DC and CC. Weight difference is inconsequential. Length of box, 8 ft as opposed to 6.5 ft, would have more effect.

10-4 on that. Hopefully some these other fellers will come and join us here.

Same here, the only reason I opted for the smaller cab was because I could still comfortably fit my daughters car seat and uncomfortably fit a reasonable sized adult. So yes, I can take 5 other people, but do you really want to feel like a can of spam?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Same here, the only reason I opted for the smaller cab was because I could still comfortably fit my daughters car seat and uncomfortably fit a reasonable sized adult. So yes, I can take 5 other people, but do you really want to feel like a can of spam?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a crew cause wife and I are looking to have kids in about 2 years

Archived