Help sway the truck decision

I like the idea of a crew cause wife and I are looking to have kids in about 2 years

The crew is a good call, just watch the double. I had to actually get a smaller car seat

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving our 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 w 6.0. Towed our 7500lb travel trailer this week thru the Oregon mountains without a problem. A really great powertrain.

I love my 2500 Crew Cab 6.0.

The gas mileage is better than your current 2006 6.0, but it's still bad. On a recent highway trip, I saw 16-17 MPG. In city traffic, don't expect much more than 10 MPG. If you lift, level, or put bigger tires on, it'll get worse. Towing MPG is 8-11.

With the standard 4.10 gears and 6-speed auto, the truck feels surprisingly quick and even fun to drive. The engine has yet to find itself in a situation where its power was insufficient. It also sounds good, even with the stock exhaust.

My 2015 has just over 10,000 miles on it, of which about 4,000 have been with a trailer. I could have made it with a 1500 with 3:42 gears and the 5.3L V8, but I just like the 2500. Another consideration is payload; the heaviest trailer I towed was about 8000 lbs, but I've had a few situations where payload would have exceeded the 1500's capability unless I started moving weight from the truck into the trailer. I've towed through the Rockies and the truck did just fine; the only time the engine seemed taxed was when a car cut me off on an uphill, forcing me to brake and kill momentum. The 6.0 had to work to get back up to highway speed, but it did it.

The only complaint I have is that while towing, the fuel tank limits useful range to about 300 to 330 miles.

If you are planning on kids, get a crew cab. Modern child seats are large; I have two child seats in the back of mine. One sits forward facing directly behind the driver's seat, while the baby bucket sits rear-facing in the middle. This allows me to fold up the passenger side rear seat if I want; or, somebody can comfortably sit there next to the two kids. You can fit three child seats across the backseat if you want. Annoyingly, there's no latch system in the middle seat, so you have to use the seatbelt to secure a child seat. If I had a double cab, I'd either have to adjust my seat position or find small child seats if possible.

I also recommend remote start; the rear seats only have floor HVAC vents. It can take a little longer to cool off or heat up, so remote start helps before you put the kids in.

My truck:

gallery_128418_2520_151832.jpg

Towing through the Eisenhower tunnel, an elevation greater than 11,000 feet. No problem for the 6.0:

gallery_128418_2520_631290.jpg

I love my 2500 Crew Cab 6.0.

The gas mileage is better than your current 2006 6.0, but it's still bad. On a recent highway trip, I saw 16-17 MPG. In city traffic, don't expect much more than 10 MPG. If you lift, level, or put bigger tires on, it'll get worse. Towing MPG is 8-11.

With the standard 4.10 gears and 6-speed auto, the truck feels surprisingly quick and even fun to drive. The engine has yet to find itself in a situation where its power was insufficient. It also sounds good, even with the stock exhaust.

My 2015 has just over 10,000 miles on it, of which about 4,000 have been with a trailer. I could have made it with a 1500 with 3:42 gears and the 5.3L V8, but I just like the 2500. Another consideration is payload; the heaviest trailer I towed was about 8000 lbs, but I've had a few situations where payload would have exceeded the 1500's capability unless I started moving weight from the truck into the trailer. I've towed through the Rockies and the truck did just fine; the only time the engine seemed taxed was when a car cut me off on an uphill, forcing me to brake and kill momentum. The 6.0 had to work to get back up to highway speed, but it did it.

The only complaint I have is that while towing, the fuel tank limits useful range to about 300 to 330 miles.

If you are planning on kids, get a crew cab. Modern child seats are large; I have two child seats in the back of mine. One sits forward facing directly behind the driver's seat, while the baby bucket sits rear-facing in the middle. This allows me to fold up the passenger side rear seat if I want; or, somebody can comfortably sit there next to the two kids. You can fit three child seats across the backseat if you want. Annoyingly, there's no latch system in the middle seat, so you have to use the seatbelt to secure a child seat. If I had a double cab, I'd either have to adjust my seat position or find small child seats if possible.

I also recommend remote start; the rear seats only have floor HVAC vents. It can take a little longer to cool off or heat up, so remote start helps before you put the kids in.

My truck:

gallery_128418_2520_151832.jpg

Towing through the Eisenhower tunnel, an elevation greater than 11,000 feet. No problem for the 6.0:

gallery_128418_2520_631290.jpg

Now this is what I'm looking for thanks for the input.and nice ride

The "useful" fuel range of the 36 gal tank and the 6.0 doesn't cause any concern for me. I have to stop anyway in less than 300 miles and "wet the weeds" so to speak, so getting fuel again would just be part of the deal.

For my needs, the double cab has been fine. Each owner has to decide what works best for them. I don't have kids and such to put in the back seat anymore. Just an occasional extra rider. Have given thought to just removing the 2 person seat in the back and making it a one seater back there.

After watching The Fast Lane Truck video on the 6.0L 2500 doing a gross combination 20.500 lb pull up to the Eisenhower tunnel, I was more than convinced the 6.0L would fit my needs.

Good read and videos.....

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/2015-chevy-silverado-2500-hd-gasoline-versus-diesel-ike-gauntlet-hd/

The "useful" fuel range of the 36 gal tank and the 6.0 doesn't cause any concern for me. I have to stop anyway in less than 300 miles and "wet the weeds" so to speak, so getting fuel again would just be part of the deal.

For my needs, the double cab has been fine. Each owner has to decide what works best for them. I don't have kids and such to put in the back seat anymore. Just an occasional extra rider. Have given thought to just removing the 2 person seat in the back and making it a one seater back there.

After watching The Fast Lane Truck video on the 6.0L 2500 doing a gross combination 20.500 lb pull up to the Eisenhower tunnel, I was more than convinced the 6.0L would fit my needs.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/2015-chevy-silverado-2500-hd-gasoline-versus-diesel-ike-gauntlet-hd/

I've seen them videos before but not the articles. I will say after seeing the tables of comparisons. It shows why I want a diesel

6.0 gas

4dad8c851bfe77879d81a75ff78e1c99.jpg

Duramax

7ededefc08936bf3282557ecafa9d45a.jpg

I've seen them videos before but not the articles. I will say after seeing the tables of comparisons. It shows why I want a diesel

6.0 gas

4dad8c851bfe77879d81a75ff78e1c99.jpg

Duramax

7ededefc08936bf3282557ecafa9d45a.jpg

If one can justify the 6.6L Dmax, then go for it. I couldn't. I long since outgrew the wow factor of diesel, as I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year already for my other stuff. To me, any purchase is purely practical. I really don't tow much of anything with it, only light. I needed a 2500 mostly for haul capability over a 1500. The 6.0L gasser does a fantastic job for hauling, and is a better cost benefit ratio.

If one can justify the 6.6L Dmax, then go for it. I couldn't. I long since outgrew the wow factor of diesel, as I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year already for my other stuff. To me, any purchase is purely practical. I really don't tow much of anything with it, only light. I needed a 2500 mostly for haul capability over a 1500. The 6.0L gasser does a fantastic job for hauling, and is a better cost benefit ratio.

Well said I can agree. My 6.0 has been dang bullet proof can't say a bad word about it. Just kinda hate to bum from dad at times.

And payloads everyone here keeps talking about. Idk what payload even is ons 2500 truck but I bet I've exceeded it many times or been dang close. That's something I've never looked at figured if I needed it for it I just use it

Well said I can agree. My 6.0 has been dang bullet proof can't say a bad word about it. Just kinda hate to bum from dad at times.

And payloads everyone here keeps talking about. Idk what payload even is ons 2500 truck but I bet I've exceeded it many times or been dang close. That's something I've never looked at figured if I needed it for it I just use it

Payload on a 3/4 ton gasser CC, 4x4 will be around 2500-2900 pounds. Diesel will be around 500-700 pounds less. Something to keep in mind if you believe you have been overloaded in the past.

Payload on a 3/4 ton gasser CC, 4x4 will be around 2500-2900 pounds. Diesel will be around 500-700 pounds less. Something to keep in mind if you believe you have been overloaded in the past.

Is that what you have in the bed or on the bumper hitch?

That payload is everything from the fuel and driver to what you put in the bed or on the hitch. Early on, I took my 2500 to the local grain elevator and weighed it with full tank, two people, and about 250 lb of tools and such in the back. Still had about 2300 lb payload to spare.

That payload is everything from the fuel and driver to what you put in the bed or on the hitch. Early on, I took my 2500 to the local grain elevator and weighed it with full tank, two people, and about 250 lb of tools and such in the back. Still had about 2300 lb payload to spare.

Yep shows I never looked into payload. Likely good thing too cause I'd been worried a couple times I'd bet.

Is that what you have in the bed or on the bumper hitch?

In the bed, gear, etc as explained above.

I think the hitch capacity is around 1500 pounds if I remember correctly.

Archived