2500 HD 20" Winter Tires

I'm looking around a little for some winter tires that I will need in the fall. Just picked up this truck a month ago, my first 2500. First issue I see is there aren't any 265/60 R20 winter tires. There are some that are close, but they are not E rated tires. Now this might not be too much of a problem, but I'll be doing most of towing in the winter (snowmobile trailer, not that heavy, maybe 3500 to 5000 pounds) as well as carrying a plow.

What have people been using for these trucks? The 18" probably would have been better for this problem.

X2. Subscribed. I plan to get another set of wheels though (ouch $$$ wise).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

post-139332-146384456868_thumb.jpg

I bought a set of K02s which are available in D and E in 20s, among other sizes. I mounted them on a set of AT wheels. The KO2s are about 15lbs heavier per tire which resulted in a ~1mpg hit and a slightly different feel on the road. They are excellent in the snow!

If you're anywhere near the Buffalo border, the fellow I bought them from has a barn full of them and the Canadian dollar is still in your favour.

If you've got an HD, then look into the 275/65/20 size. There's a lot of options in that size, and the narrow 275 width will give you better traction in the snow/ice than something like a 305/55/20.

Eh, not really a fan of only using my nice OEM wheels half the time. Also prefer an actual winter tire rather than an all terrain, possibly studded. Used to run studded all the time but it's getting harder to find them.

As you say, probably will have to go 275/65 R20 but not sure the truck will clear those stock.

I have Duratrac 275/65/20s on a stock 2015 2500 Duramax and the fit right up no rubbing. Did have to trim a small inside corner of the front mud flap...nothing drastic. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, not really a fan of only using my nice OEM wheels half the time. Also prefer an actual winter tire rather than an all terrain, possibly studded. Used to run studded all the time but it's getting harder to find them.

As you say, probably will have to go 275/65 R20 but not sure the truck will clear those stock.

I think you'll regret that in a couple years when the chrome starts to peel for the wheel. Winter road treatment is awful on Mag wheels.

I think you'll regret that in a couple years when the chrome starts to peel for the wheel. Winter road treatment is awful on Mag wheels.

Aren't they polished aluminum? Still run into issues of pitting, if you don't keep the brake dust and snow off of them, but WAY better than chrome.

Aren't they polished aluminum? Still run into issues of pitting, if you don't keep the brake dust and snow off of them, but WAY better than chrome.

"machined aluminum" is what mine are. No chrome. Ditto for my stock 20" Denali wheels.

I use steel wheels for my snows on my other vehicle, but dislike how they rust no matter how much care I take.

I agree with the comment that dedicated snows are better than snow rated ATs. I wanted something I could drive in heat as well as I drive from Ontario to Florida [via Appalachians] each March and can experience all sorts of conditions on the way down. With the KO2s, I'm ready for anything!

I will NEVER own a set of chrome aluminum wheels again.

And I meant "salt" not snow... I'm living in Alberta right now, and I just drove through 4" of snow and slush. Typical AB May-long!!

I'm also going to look into those K02 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is my 6th GM truck and I live in Maine so I'm relatively familiar with what happens. In 5 or 6 years, as long as I will keep it, there won't be much of a problem other than around the wheel weights maybe where those get moved around. They are definitely not chromed steel. That would be something that would be on a WT, not an LT.

The HD 20" wheels are usually forged and polished not chrome plated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived