2500 HD 20" Winter Tires

Buy a set of 17" or 18" steel wheels for winter.

This. You'll have more tire options, and the tires will be considerably cheaper.

Mounting/unmounting tires twice a year will eventually take it's toll on your wheels, and at $15/tire for mounting it doesn't take long for the extra set of wheels to pay for themselves. Not only that, but if you live in an area that requires snow tires, than you live in an area where they use chemicals on the road that will destroy your wheels' appearance. Being able to swap them on and off yourself is nice as you have a lot more control over when you swap them, and if you get a freak early/late storm you can quickly swap them out yourself. Other than the initial cost (which you'll recover) and needing a place to store them, there aren't any downsides to have a set of mounted snow tires/wheels.

As far as actual snow tires vs. AT tires - there is no comparison. The best AT tire in snow on the market (up to reader to define) will suck compared to an average snow tire, and good snow tires will only be that much better. I say this from 25+ years of experience living and driving in the UP of Michigan where we get nearly 300" per season.

Yes I'm aware of the chemicals. I'm from Maine, remember? :) Been changing tires back and forth since I got my driver's license in 1998.

Might be able to find something in 275/60 R20 I guess.

• 7 months later...

What did you end up going with ? I have the same dilemma as u ...2016 2500 Silverado - crew Cab primarily used to travel between NY & NH & NY & Saguenay Quebec pulling a 29" enclosed V nose aluminum 4 place snowmobile trailer : )

Any suggestions ? Should I just roll with the stock 20" tire & forego the additional expense of 4 new tires ?

What did you end up going with ? I have the same dilemma as u ...2016 2500 Silverado - crew Cab primarily used to travel between NY & NH & NY & Saguenay Quebec pulling a 29" enclosed V nose aluminum 4 place snowmobile trailer : )

Any suggestions ? Should I just roll with the stock 20" tire & forego the additional expense of 4 new tires ?

For that job I'd have a set of winter wheels and tires.

If/when you a new truck -- you can keep the winters and use them on it.

Getting winter wheels also lets you get 17's or 18's which opens up the tire options available.

(if you want to stay with aluminum instead of steels, include checking at your GM dealer. They may have factory aluminum take-offs.)

Nothing beats a set of dedicated snow tires (not severe snow rated tires like the KO2's and others). LT275/65R20 is the way to go for these trucks. Tirerack.com sells a General Grabber Arctic and a Firestone Winterforce LT. Cooper makes a Discoverer and Nokian provides an option too. Either get another set of wheels or have them switched out in the late fall / early spring. About 80 buck each time, or 160 per year for the capabilities of a dedicated snow.

In the end, I wish the Blizzak DM-V2's came in an LT rated tire - best dedicated snow tire I've ever used. They make a 275/60R20 but non-E rates, 50PSI max. Would give my TPMS sensors issues and 2,675 lb rating per tire vs 3,195 on factory LT265/60R20's. Weight rating wouldn't bother me as I don't haul anything in winter but the TPMS alerts would annoy the snot out of me.

Archived