Remote Start - Glow Plug

Just got a new to me 2015 2500 with duramax and took it out towing our 30' fifth wheel camper this weekend and LOVE how the truck handled. Had a ck2500 5.7L prior and that truck struggled going up even little hills. The duramax just pulls and pulls and cruise control never dips, very happy so far!

Only problem is I have a hard time remembering to wait for the glow plugs to warm up before I start her up - old habits die hard (and you cant teach an old dog new tricks). Anyway what I am wondering is if I am better off trying to remember to use the remote start instead of manual starting. I am assuming the remote start is waiting for the glow plus signal before cranking over?

The weather is warm here so just wondering what damage I am doing by forgetting to wait for the glow plugs to warm up?

Thanks!

I have learned with all my diesels, from smaller stuff on up thru my heavy commercial stuff, to let things cycle thru before actually starting. I turn the key on, let the gauges and lights cycle thru, then start. There is something to be said for letting the ECM do all it's startup checks and getting all it's ducks in a row before starting. That would take care of the glow plug issue. Remote start essentially does the same thing. Glow plug use is primarily beneficial in colder weather. The ECM will actually control the use of glow plugs based on ambient temperature. Hence, let things cycle thru and get the ECM up to speed before starting.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that the truck starts immediately with remote start, so I guess the ECM and engine is ready for it. .

I wondered the same thing.

• 1 month later...

If you stand beside and hit the remote you will see that it does wait for the Glow plug light to go out. Wife's cruze is the same way. Not as powerful glow plugs so it takes longer.

It's so hot here I have never seen the glow plug light.

Archived