Investigation needed into GM Truck Gas Mileage

NO way Silverado's get the 16 City, 22 HWY, 18 average gas mileage. Mine is tracking at least 5 mpg below regardless of where I drive. I've tracked it for 2000 miles now and had into the dealer 3 times and they admit that it doesn't get the stated gas mileage.

Apparently, this has been a big problem for GM and is in my opinion, wide spread...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/05/20/gm-suv-owners-offered-debit-cards-overstated-mpg/84653498/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/335310-gm-fuel-economy-label-class-action-lawsuit-investigation/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You posted this in the HD section, of course the 1500 series numbers aren't going to carry over to a truck made to work. On top of that, they don't even give mpg numbers for any of the HD trucks

You've seen the news, almost every mfg is coming clean on fuel mileage numbers. But like said the HDs don't even try to pretend, they just figure you know a gas engine with a 4:10 will suck fuel.

2012 5.3, 6 speed, average 13.7 mpg. city, mountains.

I understand their rated mileage is BS, the world is full of BS IMO.

I probably averaged 14ish with my 2009 5.3 1500 (6 speed). They will achieve close to the highway mileage but over time idling and for me a majority of short trips kills the mileage on these trucks.

Well I can tell you this when I had my 2012 1500 4x4 5.3 on a 700 mile trip I saw 23 mpg on the highway and around town I got around 16-18 mpg.

If I was wanting good mpg I would never buy a truck, now this is going to be the #1 new topic for a few months now that some vehicle companys are fuggin the mpg numbers and people with nothing else to do will jump on the band wagon but everything was cool until this all came out, SOOOOO WHAT.

My 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW diesel has gotten 20 MPG on just highway a couple of times now (under 3,000 miles at this time). I am averaging in-town about 15 MPG, and considering a LOT of that is sitting in one spot in traffic I think it isn't too bad. Mine isn't a work truck, it is my daily driver, and we pull a large RV with it. I work from home so I don't have to get into traffic on a daily basis.

You posted this in the HD section, of course the 1500 series numbers aren't going to carry over to a truck made to work. On top of that, they don't even give mpg numbers for any of the HD trucks

Sorry about that!

You want gas Milage buy a car. Or a moped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine if you feel that way, except there is a federal law called "Truth and labeling" and manufacturers are required to give consumers accurate and reliable information.

Don't post on the sticker that a Siverado 1500 gets 16 City when it gets 11, or 22 HWY, when it gets 16-17.

That's fine if you feel that way, except there is a federal law called "Truth and labeling" and manufacturers are required to give consumers accurate and reliable information.

Don't post on the sticker that a Siverado 1500 gets 16 City when it gets 11, or 22 HWY, when it gets 16-17.

That mpg doesn't pertain to me. I don't ride city or highway. I ride dirt roads hills pastures and hay fields hauling cattle equipment and so forth. When you buy a truck for actual work may as well expect it to suck and not even check it.

I've said that from the get go. I average at best 18. I have never seen anything close to the 22 it claims. It's usually 16-17 and it's all highway! Smh.

NO way Silverado's get the 16 City, 22 HWY, 18 average gas mileage. Mine is tracking at least 5 mpg below regardless of where I drive. I've tracked it for 2000 miles now and had into the dealer 3 times and they admit that it doesn't get the stated gas mileage.

Apparently, this has been a big problem for GM and is in my opinion, wide spread...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/05/20/gm-suv-owners-offered-debit-cards-overstated-mpg/84653498/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/335310-gm-fuel-economy-label-class-action-lawsuit-investigation/

What are you referring to? My 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 easily surpassed the stated gas mileage on the window sticker. People I know with GM 1500-series pickups who live in flatter areas than I do exceed that EPA efficiency by even more. I think the published numbers for the half ton trucks are easily attainable in almost any driving environment if you're not burning rubber from stop light to stop light.

The GVWR of the HD trucks makes them exempt from MPG labeling, so there's no basis for comparison.

Archived