2015 metal shavings huge!?!?!?

2015midnightltz

Question

I have a 2015 silverado ltz midnight edition 5.3 Z71 pulled dipstick today and seen many metal shavings 1/8 inch long and one about 1/4 inch long cleaned dipstick and then drove to work (bout 5 miles ) checked dip stick again and more shavings and another one was about 1/4 inch long wth truck only has 7k miles any ideas should I be freaking out seems like shavings are a little to large to me to be break in particles

post-158583-0-71571900-1464077701_thumb.jpg

Speak with and have this documented with your service department, take an oil sample and have it tested then change the oil and cut open the filter to see how much metal is in it.

Well dealer looked at it today they said it's just the dipstick breaking in (yeah must have been low on blinker fluid too) they changed oil and said it's good to go. I asked for them to put some of my oil in a container I have so I can send it in they said they did so we will see. They said oil and filter were both free of any metal. Doesn't sound right to me

I don't think they said the dipstick was breaking in. The engine though is breaking in so it's no big deal. Some people worry enough to change the oil after 500 miles since it's a new engine. I didn't and waited until the first 7,500 miles and no problems after almost 25,000 miles.

The most important thing to do is make sure you have a documented visit to the dealer with this issue clearly listed. It would also be most helpful if you could get the person that told you the dipstick was just breaking in to write that clearly on the same document. Verbal exchanges are not track-able, and most everyone knows there are 3 sides to any verbal story. Once it is written down, that drops to one side.

The oil filter will only be able to trap something if it gets to the filter. Most bigger pieces will not get past the oil pickup in the pan, and the largest pieces will simply sink to bottom of pan and stay there. Are you at least wiping the stick off into a clean rag and saving these pieces? I would use the same rag to gather this stuff up.

Just to be clear here, are you also saying the dealership has given you what they claim is some oil from your engine for you to send out for testing? If it was me, I would take a clean tupperware container outside and drain some oil into it from the engine after letting it sit overnight. Drop about 2 litres of oil into the container, then using a clean rag(best to use a white rag), strain that oil into another container and see if anything is trapped by the rag. If nothing is there, take a small sample and send that out for testing, and put the drained oil back into the engine. Next oil change, go to a quicky lube and ask them to return the oil filter to you. Would be best if you could give them a sealable container for the filter to be put into. Cut that filter open when you get home and see what you get. Have someone video record the opening of the filter just in case there is something in there.

Yes I have the oil and the filter "from my truck " it is still producing oil shavings and slivers and today I noticed my oil gauge holds 20psi at idle 40 from 2-3k rpm and when I hit about 3700rpm it doesn't just increase but more of a straight up jump to 60psi not a smooth type increase seems almost like a sticky gauge problem but with shavings wondering if oil pump is having some problems I have a video I will try to get on here

https://youtu.be/3MH85IK2IwA

Yes I have the oil and the filter "from my truck " it is still producing oil shavings and slivers and today I noticed my oil gauge holds 20psi at idle 40 from 2-3k rpm and when I hit about 3700rpm it doesn't just increase but more of a straight up jump to 60psi not a smooth type increase seems almost like a sticky gauge problem but with shavings wondering if oil pump is having some problems I have a video I will try to get on here

https://youtu.be/3MH85IK2IwA

I believe that's just from the pump being a 2 stage pump.

I wouldn't sweat it every vehicle has to break in and when you have metal on metal at those speeds and temperatures any imperfections are coming of I think they call it casting shavings or something shards that long could only come from your thrust bearing if something was malfunctioning anywhere else i.e. Bearings lifters valves everything else would be way smaller or shorter than that if anything was malfunctioning I'm super anal ocd adhd and that shit would drive me crazy till I had à one I trusted or at least a couple dozen people from the Internet tell me the same thing about it and then it would still be in the back of my mind looking at the pics I'd say she is breaking in just fine.

I have an 04 Tahoe 5.3 160k z71 murderers row black lol just kidding I just made that color up and named it after the 1927 new your Yankees line up haha anyway I've got the no oil pressure thing going on and when I pulled the pan to change the oring on the pickup tube discovered an enormous amount of very alarming size metal shards big ones like I've never seen metal like was in my engine in any other engine that was still running I immediately thought bearings but after inspections and replacement for no other reason than to waste money and discussion on here with Doug Scott and dirt they helped me come to the conclusion that all the ginormous shards in mine were casting shavings from break in evidence to help support this theory I had changes oil several times since I bought the vehicle 4 years ago before I pulled the pan I flushed the engine with seafoam in the crankcase ran it drained the oil and this was the first time I'd ever seen metal on my drain plug pulled the pan and really got worried but in the end granted I still don't have any oil pressure but I changed main and rod bearings oil pump pickup tube oring timing set all gaskets and seals anything that has to do with oil pressure it has a new part on it still no oil pressure but the point is that mine is 04 and still had to mongo shards in it why had I not seen it on the drain plug before just speculation but I'd imagine it was from running the sea foam and it broke the sludge in the pan up a little and that's how I'd never seen them before none the less from visual ll

Edited by certified22