Hello all,

Perhaps a weird question, but till now I have not had a good answer yet.

I drive a 2005 Yukon XL 2500 with brand new BF Goodrich KO2 tires.(245/75) The inside of my door tells me I should inflate my tires at the back to 80 PSI. If I do that it's almost if I drive on marbles (oversteering) when driving above 80km an hour. I brought the PSI back to 60 and it seems to be a lot better. Now the question is " If I want to pull my travel trailer, what would be the best PSI?"

All answers highly appreciated

Thanks

80 psi if it's a trailer of any size...

I vary my pressure depending on use, but for hard hauling or towing I run max or near to max.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

And for what it's worth, I run 265s and run 55 front and rear when it's being used for nothing but a grocery getter.

Offroad tires suck for towing. They are a soft compound.

X2,

I run 55 psi front 45 psi rear when I'm not hauling. The 80 psi is spec'd for MAX. Payload.

DEWFPO

You also have to think about how the tire pressure will rise as you drive. Doesn't do it much in the winters, but in the summer the hotter it is the more it will raise. I haven't had to adjust the psi and the psi went up 4° just from the temp going up without any driving.

I don't really tow, but when I did all I did was go to a gas station with free air after the trailer is loaded and pump up the rear tires. I just eye it to make the rears looks like the front and then put the other side to the same psi as the first rear that I filled up. Just don't forget to let the air back out to the same as the fronts when you're done towing.

Offroad tires suck for towing. They are a soft compound.

I towed a lot with a set of Cooper AT3 without one hiccup...depends on the tire. The Cooper HT3s I put on last week have more squirm than the AT3s they replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

60 front & 50 rear without CEL on +-

I had the dealer drop the trip pressure for the CEL to 50psi at all four corners...mainly so I could rotate without resetting the tire position.

• 3 weeks later...

On my 2500, I do pretty much like some others. I run 55 all the way around for general purpose. I only inflate up when I know I will be putting some substantial weight on the pickup. With high inflation on tires when running empty, I have found that there is increased wheel hop on bumpy roads that takes a hit on tire life and fuel economy. And it has been shown in many studies, that running inflation more than necessary for the loading at the time, there can be increased wear on the suspension components as they have to take the road shock that a tire should be taking.

I use the same methodology that commercial heavy trucks use.... base inflation on the load. The tires on my commercial truck are rated for 120 PSI. But for typical 34,000 max on the axle group (17K per axle), the recommended pressure is 95 PSI per tire manufacturer charts. Lighter loads, even less. Must be right, as I got 447,000 miles out of the last set of drive tires on my semi. Still had 8-9/32 tread all the way around, no cupping or other stuff, and I got $150 for each of them from the tire dealer when I put new tires on.

05 2500HD Sierra, Yokohama Geolander MT. This is my 3rd set of this tire model and I'm coming up on set #4 My last set I got 88000 miles on. This set will be in the 70k range due to more city driving. I worked up my pressures for this model over 2 sets of tires to get to this kind of mileage. I carry 55psi front and 68psi rear when empty and 80 when loaded or towing. This is the best truck I've ever owned.280000 miles and original brakes, unbelievable. The Yukon would likely be a bit different, and the tire brand and model would impact your best pressure as well but I would start around 60 on the rear and definitely follow the door label when towing. It will take you a set or two to get find your best settings. Get a good quality tread depth gauge and pressure gauge and check every oil change. Don't get too light on the rear in the Yukon, they roll a lot more than the pickups and you'll want some firmness in the tire.

My question regarding you pressure choices... when running empty, why would you run pressures higher in the back (68 psi) than the front (55 psi)? The front weighs more than the back! Given that the recommended pressure in the back is 70 psi, I am not sure why one would feel the need to go to 80 when loaded. Just trying to get a read on how you reason this out. When empty, I just run 55 all the way around, and air up the back when loaded up. If hauling near gross, I will have the front aired to 60 and rear to 70 per the door sill recommendation.

Archived