Exhaust system on a 2016 gasser

tooch420

Question

I hope this warrants an answer from a professional. I have 2016 Sierra with 6.0, everything still stock. I have been reading bunch of post from guys just replacing the muffler with a performance one and calling it a day.

First, Will the 6.0 benefit from this change to the system by itself (or just make it sound better) and if so, would it improve even more with opting to go out dual instead of leaving the single stock out. Leaving it all same diameter as originally of coarse.

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't go wrong with Corsa. You get what you pay for with exhaust systems.

I still have cats on mine (live in MA, so pretty much no choice there without cheating), and it's not really loud at all, even after 84k miles of use.

Single or dual?

And have you had opportunity to compare to Flow master super 50?

I haven't been able to find a Corsa muffler outside of a complete kit. Seems they don't offer them separately, as far as I know.

Dual, but it's attached to the factory Y pipe ... so it's technically 2 into 1 into 2.

In my experience, Flowmaster has always been a POS, IMO. They drone like no other, and rust out in 2 winters flat. Never much liked the sound of them either, but to each his own.

post-65085-0-64705300-1429300756_thumb.jpg

The clips i heard of super 50 though are the least drone and thats what i am looking for. I would love to hear yours or a clip of same system

I've had the Corsa on mine for 9 years now - 9 MA winters, and it's still there! Clamp hardware is gone, but the pipes & muffler are still there. Was my first stainless system, and I'm sold. I'd have gone through 4-5 regular steel systems by now.

The other great thing about the Corsa is it's only loud when you need it to be. Cruising, there's absolutely no drone whatsoever. At idle, it's quiet, but has a subtle raspy note to it. At full throttle from 3k up is where it really barks. Sounds great. Never been so happy with anything I've bought.

Yeah, if sound is all that matters, you'd be wasting your money on a full system. Just do the muffler in that case.

There are very few (if any) mods that will increase power all on their own. At the very least a tune of some kind will be needed to get something out of a mod. Some people relate noise to increased power, much like some people can take a placebo and feel better afterwards. These trucks are so torque limited by the PCM that any change to the air flow in the engine will do nothing for the bottom end.

Manufacturers these days are getting pretty much the most performance you can get out of an engine, while still retaining reliability, emissions, and economy. Contrary to popular belief, economy, emissions, and power actually go hand in hand. Biggest bang for your buck is a gear change. It will impact bottom end the most, while not killing top end power.

Depending on your budget, if you want more bottom end, and more top end, some form of forced induction is an easy and dependable option(assuming a properly designed kit is used).

I went with the long body Magnaflow one inlet, two outlet muffler, no drone. I also did not use Magnaflow's system, just their muffler and two tips, rest was done in custom bent and welded stainless. I think the long body muffler makes the difference in the drone.

But you do not have the 6.0 ? Think would be considerably different, no? Is your 3.5" like the 2016?

What I would love is a sound clip of the same system on a 6.0 . I think its 5"x8"x18", the one for my truck.

I went with the long body Magnaflow one inlet, two outlet muffler, no drone. I also did not use Magnaflow's system, just their muffler and two tips, rest was done in custom bent and welded stainless. I think the long body muffler makes the difference in the drone.

How long is "long body"?

Mine has a similar sound, but I guess the best way to describe it would be is, if that truck in that vid were 150' away from the camera, that's about what it would sound like. It's similar, but much more muted.

Sounds like that truck there has no cats, too.

I'll add that while Flowmaster has a nice sound, their quality is unimpressive to me. The last time I ran one of their kits (granted this was like 12 years ago now), the clamps rotted off after one winter, causing the tailpipe to fall off. The muffler stayed but looked like absolute crap. It was still there 4 years later but I doubt it had much life left. I had the dB system on my last Silverado (basically the Corsa Sport muffler with lower-grade stainless pipes and tip) and it held up great. Under full throttle it has a glass pack-like sound and under cruise it's a pleasant rumble.

All that said, exhaust on a modern, non-turbo engine is strictly eye/ear candy. The "restrictive" factory exhaust is a myth and at most you'll see single digit gains typically. Regardless, every vehicle I've ever owned has gotten an exhaust and I see no reason to change that.

I found this which was very informative.

I like the options they have for quiet in cab drone, and more torque under load as well as being quiet. All with gain in performance.

I wasnt looking at Magnaflow just because I have it on my 06' 2500 ext cab and after 5 years it got to me. I want little less drone. My shop did already recommend that.

As far as 3.5", thats just what is on the truck now and was trying to stick with same diameter thats all. That Mag flow system seems like good fit, but I am concerned about drone as mention before. AND, mine looked terrible after few years covered in surface rust.

Archived