Exhaust system on a 2016 gasser

tooch420

Question

I hope this warrants an answer from a professional. I have 2016 Sierra with 6.0, everything still stock. I have been reading bunch of post from guys just replacing the muffler with a performance one and calling it a day.

First, Will the 6.0 benefit from this change to the system by itself (or just make it sound better) and if so, would it improve even more with opting to go out dual instead of leaving the single stock out. Leaving it all same diameter as originally of coarse.

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything that's not stainless will be rusty looking in 2-3 years, unless you lived in TX, Phoenix, AZ or Southern CA.

Usually non-stainless systems will rot from the inside out too, due to the acids in condensation from combustion byproducts. Short trips in cool weather really do them in quick. The more you drive, the longer they will last.

They all promise the world - gotta sell them, after all.

Thing is with those, they belong on cars that never see salt, like a classic that only comes out for 3 seasons. On anything driven in the salt, they're full of holes in less than 2 years.

If they make a stainless steel system, that would be the one to get if you're set on Flowmaster.

I dont care about the salt we have mild winters and I power wash undercarriage after.

My exhaust shop told me the mufflers they use on my truck was discontinues, so we are looking for alternatives. I'd rather a full custom system from a professional who has done it before as opposed to a kit. I'll see what he comes up with and update.

Ok, I am still deciding and appreciate all the input. Since most agree it is not much gains for doing dual, what if I did it all from the engine.

New shorty headers, with the magnaflow custom system from my shop. I can do the high flow cats but I think it would make it louder no? also, I can install resonators if there is too much drone still.

what do ya'll think...

Magnaflow system gets surface rust ALL over. When you confront them about it they say only warranty if they rust through... so expect them to look like crap after few years... and this is with mild winters not much salting

I have had the Magnaflow muffler on for 6 years now, no rust on it or the non-Magnaflow stainless pipes, and the Magnaflow polished stainless tips. Truck is driven year round, including Canadian winters.

I've never seen any vehicle not benefit from a freer-flowing aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. Even better is a set of headers and a high flow performance catalytic converter - big gains with that setup.

As far as which one, you get what you pay for. Stainless lasts forever, even in road salt, so that alone is worth it - you'll have replaced 4 or more regular steel systems in the life of the vehicle.

Duals will give you more top end power at the expensive of a little low end. Not something I'd want, since these engines are top-weighted in their power to start with.

I, personally, would never install an exhaust system without a cold air intake system, and at the very least, a hand-held one-size-fits-all programmer. You won't gain as much power (if any at all) just slapping an exhaust on without doing this too.

Archived