Front end roar

oldsman143

Question

I own a 2007 Silverado Classic 2WD. A few weeks ago, it began to roar from the left front. a the roar is wheel related ( changes with speed, not engine rpm). I you swerve to the left, loading the right front wheel, the noise diminishes. Rolling straight and turning to the right, it roars. All of this leads me to the left front hub assembly. I replaced it, still roars. The replacement began roaring worse than the original. I replaced it again. The seal was bad, grease leaking out. Second replacement...roar was still there. Could the right one be bad too? When you load the right wheel (turning to the left, the noise does away). It makes no sense. Any tips? Anything else that could cause the roaring?

4 answers to this question

Good deal. Glad you got it. :thumbs::cheers:

Used to be(prior to FWD) you could use that technique to diagnose wheel bearings and get the side right every time. But since they went to those integral wheel bearings it does not work that way. I think the inner and outer bearing are just too close together for that technique to work 100%. Would not surprise me if the right side was bad all along. You should be able to feel roughness in the hub once it is removed if the bearings are bad. Also not unusual for the hub to have play in it once the bearings get noisy.

I always replace those in pairs, just for this reason. The first time I ever changed one, the other side ended up being bad - had me questioning my repair. Once both were changed, it was back to quiet again.

Archived