Android Auto / Google Maps / WiFi

It seems that if the phone is connected to the truck wifi and connected to the radio with the usb that google maps will not function properly.

Truck has the GM navi.

Android Auto is installed.

Phone is an S4.

Tried several times previously to get google maps to work, just to compare with the built-in navi.

Screen would show arrow indicating truck travel direction, but would not show roads.

Today, turned of the phone wifi connection and tried again.

SUCCESS!

And so far, (only an hour or so of driving) I like the road detail and traffic info supplied by google maps better than the built in nav.

Anyone have any idea how much data it will use if it is left active?

I like that I can play mp4 movie files directly from a usb drive on the 8" screen while waiting in the car.

I don't understand why they can't make this so you don't need to hook up your phone with a USB cable.... that's makes it a PITA. They should make it all go through Bluetooth. I would be willing to bet that will come soon to the new trucks.

I don't understand why they can't make this so you don't need to hook up your phone with a USB cable.... that's makes it a PITA. They should make it all go through Bluetooth. I would be willing to bet that will come soon to the new trucks.

The reason for now is transfer speed. Bluetooth is only good for about 3 mps. USB 2.0 is good up to 60 mps.

Google maps would be horrible.

Bluetooth 3.0 and 4.0 will be capable of 24 mps in the near future.

Mark

Archived