Question about 2016 6.2L GMC

New here,

I have an 04 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab. I am looking at 2016 Sierra Crews.

I like the 5.3 but I am really interested in the 6.2L .

The question is does the 6.2 require Premium fuel? I have not actually driven one yet.

Also when I look on the dealer web page and also open up the window sticker it does not mention what the rear end gear ratio is on the 6.2's,

Thanks in advance

How do you 6.2 owners like the engine and 8 speed tranny

Albytruck

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6.2l truck get the 8spd auto and unless you go with the max tow package you get the 3.27 rear gears. Yes you have to run premium in the 6.2, you can run 87 in a pinch but don't run it regularly otherwise you can damage the engine.

6.2l truck get the 8spd auto and unless you go with the max tow package you get the 3.27 rear gears. Yes you have to run premium in the 6.2, you can run 87 in a pinch but don't run it regularly otherwise you can damage the engine.

Thank you for the info.

My new 2016 Texas Edition 6.2L with Max Tow Pkg 3.42 gear and 8 speed is a great ride. The 8 speed gives you the gearing needed to tow. Only 650 miles, so I'm paying close attention to all the mechanicals...so far...very good. Will be towing an est. 7000 lb Travel Tailer and plan to go cross country; that will be the real test! I will only use premium fuel as was my practice with my 2008 Yukon Denali. BTW, great gas milage considering the beast of an engine. Around town, my computer is showing 17-18 mpg, hwy up to 24 mpg, but I'm not hard on the pedal. The V8 to V4 function slips in and out seamlessly. Good luck on your decision.

87 won't damage the engine, but you'll come out money ahead if you go premium. 87 KILLS the power and mileage, so basically you wasted a ton of money and get nothing for it. I've tested a lot, and my $$/mi is lower on 87.

**edit, mistakenly said $$/mi was lower on premium earlier. This is NOT correct**

Here's what the 2016 owners manual says.

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code J), use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible
knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service."
Manual calls for regular 87 octane (or higher) for the other engines.

OP, TJay is incorrect, you do not HAVE to run premium and it will not damage the engine if you don't. It will just reduce the power and mpg some though, there is a difference between Required and Recommended and some people don't quite understand that.

Good luck, my 5.3 runs good and am very happy with it, it has plenty of power. If I was towing close to the limit I would consider a 6.2 but I am not a fan of 20's and leather and all that stuff. Maybe one day they will allow the 6.2 to trickle down the model range like everyone has been asking, until the 5.3 is great. I should go try to find some E85 and see how that changes it.

Tyler

87 won't damage the engine, but you'll come out money ahead if you go premium. 87 KILLS the power and mileage, so basically you wasted a ton of money and get nothing for it. I've tested a lot, and my $$/mi is lower on premium.

Huh, kills power and waste a ton of money is an extreme exaggeration. You might actually break out even using 87 based on the cost difference (we have tested it with our 6.2) and you might lose round 15-20 HP which in a 400+ hp vehicle isn't noticeable.

Tyler

Huh, kills power and waste a ton of money is an extreme exaggeration. You might actually break out even using 87 based on the cost difference (we have tested it with our 6.2) and you might lose round 15-20 HP which in a 400+ hp vehicle isn't noticeable.

Tyler

My butt dyno suggests significantly more than 20 and even if it's less, it's VERY noticeable not only to me, but many others here so there goes your theory. And if it wasn't noticeable, why do snake oil salesmen sell 5+ hp gadgets all day and twice on Sunday?

As for the wasted a ton of money, I was referring to the initial delta cost of the 6.2 over the 5.3. Makes no sense to me to invest in a 6.2 and run 87 (which I still contend doesn't save me anything, but both sides of that penny are shiny) essentially neutering it back to strong 5.3 territory while not actually saving any significant cash? Reminds me of these 10 hot dogs and only 8 buns I'm looking at right now.

Let's get to the real question.... you are buying a 50K truck and you are worried about a few bucks extra in fuel cost? Run the premium gas - it what GM recommends, plus you take full potential of the beast. IF you are worried about nickels and dimes..get an S-10 with a 4.3

Here's what the 2016 owners manual says.

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code J), use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible
knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service."
Manual calls for regular 87 octane (or higher) for the other engines.

Also with the way things are going now days GM would probably decline warranty work if there was engine damage and they found you were using 87 octane.

Just like mentioned in the above post why would you worry about a few $ when buying a $50000+ truck? Around here the difference between the 2 is 25-30 cents so even if you were to fill up every week it would cost a little over $300 per year extra.

Most car manufacturers have had knock sensors for over a couple decades, they tell the ECM to retard the timing when knocking is heard and in some cases adjust mixture too. If you are not hauling / driving hard / towing / going up big grades I can't imagine 87 octane will cause any knocking - I sure don't hear it when I use it. When I tow it will have premium for sure, routine driving seems like it's a waste of money to me. Towing is what I got hte 6.2 for. Fuel economy is great on 87, and premium around here is more like 50cents a gallon more, not 20 cents.

Archived