GM Reluctantly Recalls '07-'11 Trucks/SUVs Over Takata Airbag

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-31366000-1464878311_thumb.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/9/2016

Just as our own Zane Merva predicted in 2014, General Motors announced a recall today and it will affect many of the vehicles near and dear to the GM-trucks.com readership. Part of the on-going Takata airbag recall debacle that has impacted most major automakers, this one includes the trucks and SUVs that make up the core of GM's business. Below is the recalled vehicles list.

2007-2011 Models of the following:

- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & Avalanche

- Tahoe & Suburban

- GMC Sierra 1500

- Yukon and Yukon XL

- Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV

- Silverado and Sierra 2500 and 3500 pickups (2009-2011)

Not every single vehicle on the above list will be recalled. GM says "Because the Takata DIRs are based on both vehicle age and the state in which the vehicle is or has been registered, the specific vehicles and total number of vehicles covered by this preliminary recall will be determined following an analysis of vehicle registration data." As always, owners can check to see if thier vehicle has a recall at this website.

The GM press release on this recall was unlike any this writer has ever seen. GM spends full paragraphs explaining why, although it will comply with the NHTSA recall request, it thinks the recall is unnecessary. GM says in part: "GM believes that its 2007-2011 trucks and SUVs do not pose an unreasonable safety risk at this time. This is based on no inflator ruptures during an estimated 44,000 crash deployments as well as analysis of parts returned from the field, and can be explained by the unique Takata inflator made for GM’s vehicles and features unique to GM trucks and SUVs."

So on the bright side, it looks like a recall that is overly cautious. The negative view would be that this is another of many recall hassles owners will have to schedule time to deal with.

Image of 2009 Silverado airbag deployment courtesy of IIHS.

I am in Michigan and have a 2007 Tahoe, the Recall information does not include my truck. I think it was made in TX, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I know by working with other cars that different Assembly plants often use different suppliers, things like Glass, interior parts even fenders and doors etc have been found to be different but interchangeable for different assy plants.

Archived