GM Finds a Little More Space For Colorado and Canyon Production

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-99618600-1465672510_thumb.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/11/2016

General Motors has been slowly but surely working hard to free up and maximize production capacity so it can build more midsize Colorados and Canyons. The latest space, highlighted in a story by the Detroit News, is in GM's Wentzville Missouri facility. GM plans to subcontract its cut-away van business to Navistar. This move is one more step in the ladder for GM who has been sending more of its commercial vehicle business out of house to free up more truck capacity. This expanded production by GM will add 300 jobs to the Navistar plant in Ohio.

I'm honestly a bit shocked anyone still buys GM vans with the new Ford Transit. The rebadged Fiat/Ram is supposedly not very good (no surprise there) but GM hasn't done anything for their vans since like 2003 and even that was just a refresh.

I'm honestly a bit shocked anyone still buys GM vans with the new Ford Transit. The rebadged Fiat/Ram is supposedly not very good (no surprise there) but GM hasn't done anything for their vans since like 2003 and even that was just a refresh.

I have a fleet of 5 vans and the newest one is a 14 Chevy express.. The transits are too expensive and the body is extremely flimsy compared to the econolines and express, also the transits still don't get great MPG, the V6 drinks fuel and to me the extra cost would be worth it if didn't drink fuel! The interior is very nice in the transits though! The express looks like it's from 1997 inside and out

Ditto on the Express- Still an awesome van. If GM can continue to sell them and there is enough demand to keep the production line running, go for it.

Archived