Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

Have an engine tick in my 2015 5.3 V8 that is getting worse. It sounds like a manifold leak or a valve tick but it only happens now and then. It happens V4 but you can hear it in sometimes in V8 mode as well. Light throttle with the engine under a bit of load it does it consistently. Under heavy throttle the engine purrs perfect.

The dealer had it in and couldn't find anything. I took it in again and the mechanic drove with me. he agreed he heard it and they replaced the fuel line under the engine intake. They replaced that on Wednesday and the sound is worse now.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be so i can point the dealer in the right place? my 2015 sounds like a 1992 V8 before the vortec heads.

Sure it's not the injectors tick? They make a bit of noise

It could be the injector noise. lots of people say that. If it is the injectors, it is not a nice sound to listen to all the time.

I just don't remember hearing it when the truck was new. there are 25,000 km on it now. could the injectors get louder as it goes on?

I hope it can be fixed. I love the truck but i'm honestly considering another truck if it is normal and will have to deal with it for 10 years.

Mine are noticeable but not inside the cab, not even at idle. If you can hear them while driving that seems like they are worn out or something. I'm sure they get a bit louder as they age but shouldn't be noticeable while driving

mine does the same. 2016 Silverado 5.3. truck only has 2500 miles. noise just started. I can mostly hear it from 1k to 2k rpms. light throttle. sounds like a small manifold leak. seemed to happen after I had my exhaust replaced under warranty for the whistle noise. They replaced the exhaust dude to the flapper no working correctly. no sure how much of the exhaust they replaced. Was going to bring it to the dealer again but seems like people are not having luck having it fixed

mine does the same. 2016 Silverado 5.3. truck only has 2500 miles. noise just started. I can mostly hear it from 1k to 2k rpms. light throttle. sounds like a small manifold leak. seemed to happen after I had my exhaust replaced under warranty for the whistle noise. They replaced the exhaust dude to the flapper no working correctly. no sure how much of the exhaust they replaced. Was going to bring it to the dealer again but seems like people are not having luck having it fixed

My 2016 has that whistle too. Can only hear it at low speeds.

I'd agree there is a noise getting through somewhere. Where is the fuel pump in these trucks? I took a look today but couldn't see it with the hood up. Didn't look underneath.

There's actually two fuel pumps on those. the high pressure pump sits at the back of the valve lifter oil manifold under the intake and of course the main pump is located in the tank. The tick you're hearing might be from the high pressure fuel pump since its close to the firewall.

• Like 1

Good morning ct_corey and 2016LTCC,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these noise concerns in your trucks. I recognize that you are looking to other forum members to see if they have found a resolutions for similar concerns. However, if you wish to visit a dealership to have this looked at please feel free to private message me with more details.

All the best,

Julianne M.

GM Customer Care

My 2016 does this as well when under light acceleration. Im thinking its normal but there must be something along the firewall letting noise through.

From the

TechLink pages:

The latest generation of engine technologies found on the 2014 Corvette and 2014-2015 Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Yukon and Yukon XL may produce some unfamiliar sounds during cold starts as well as during warm operation. The new engines include the 4.3L V6 (RPO LV3) (Fig. 10), 5.3L V8 (RPO L83), 6.2L V8 (RPOs L86 and LT1).

Direct Injection

The new small block engine family uses a Direct Injection (DI) fuel system. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder using a high pressure fuel system, which improves power, torque, and fuel efficiency. The high pressure fuel pump can generate a subtle ticking sound that is apparent when the vehicle is idling. The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle, when the hood is open or the vehicle is operated in a drive-through environment. The sound may be more noticeable during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm. A slightly higher pitched clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under the high fuel pressures. These sounds are normal characteristics of the DI system.

Another operating characteristic is a slightly longer crank time, which is the result of the time required to build high pressure in the fuel system before the engine starts.

Oil Pump

The oil pump design on these engines is a two-speed vane-type pump. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

At temperatures of 32°F (0°C) or colder, when the engine has been sitting for a few hours, it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drainback. Upon start-up, a short rasp sound may be heard from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start. This is a normal condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It could be the injector noise. lots of people say that. If it is the injectors, it is not a nice sound to listen to all the time.

I just don't remember hearing it when the truck was new. there are 25,000 km on it now. could the injectors get louder as it goes on?

I hope it can be fixed. I love the truck but i'm honestly considering another truck if it is normal and will have to deal with it for 10 years.

I agree that it is probably direct injector noise -I have a 2015 Corvette and it has the same sound as my GMC, but actually a little louder.

Edited by Glava2876