2015 Yukon Denali 2WD Excessive road vibration and transmission shudde

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali I noticed after an oil change it started shaking when excelerating between 20-30 mph and 40-50 mph. They told me my tires needed balancing so I did that and an alignment. Well the shaking is still there so I took it back today and the dealership I bough it and they told me that GMC says to fix it I have to pay 650.00 to have the transmission flushed three times and if that doesn't fix it then they will replace my transmission because it's under power train warranty. Well so I call a local GMC dealer and they tell me they have never heard of such a process and to bring it in so they can look at it. Has anyone had this problem and if so please share you experience, I'm at a loss it's 2 years old and should not be having these issues for a car that is babied. Thank you

My issue happened after an oil change as well. I had actually asked them if they applied a new firmware or code because it was too coincidental. Are you sure it happens at a specific speed range or can you narrow it down to an RPM range? The Torque Converter issue is more related to RPM although the shifting does normally happen at certain speeds in the ranges you mentioned. If you manually shift can you reproduce it at certain RPM ranges or is it still at those speed ranges?

Never heard of the $650 procedure they mentioned. There's also a recall on the tires - Not sure if you've had that done.

I had not really looked at the RPM's when it happens but I sure will now. It seems to happen more so if I'm excelerating faster the normal like when passing a car or on a time crunch and can't take my sweet time but I can narrow it to between 20-30 mph and 40-50 mph. I did not know about the tire recall is it the rims or the tires themselves? I've already had to replace one but they said it was because I had a bolt in my tire.

Recall is for the tires but it may just be the 20" Continental ones. My TCC issue was only under light acceleration and worked better under heavier. For me I had to wait for it to get worse before they could easily diagnose it but it felt like I was running over bumps in the road.

Ok so took my yukon to a GMC dealer they looked at it today said it was the torque converter. They said it's a common problem and should fix the shuttering. They told me it was all covered under the power train warranty and it will be ready tomorrow afternoon. I will let y'all know if it fixed it. There were 4other yukons at the dealer with the same issue, thought that was interesting.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi David,

Was going through your posts again and see that you said it started again after about 2 years.  What was the outcome?  I think it was about a year ago in August 2017.  I wrote the line items from your post on the the PIP5337E

and will be able to compare them when I pick mine up.  They say TCC and GPS antenna will take a few days to get.

They gave me a loaner Buick Encore that makes me appreciate my Denali even more ;-)

Fred

Not sure, it kind of went away.  I think it may be the Active Fuel Management and I'm due for a fuel injector cleaner.  This time it did seem to happen more when switching from 4 to 8 cylinders.  I drive maybe 10 miles a day so its very low mileage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, So on Aug 31st I purchased a 2018 Yukon XL SLT, 2WD with 20's and it came with Continentals. Within days of having the vehicle i noticed a vibration. It's a low vibration which becomes very pronounced at highway speeds. The vehicle doesn't shake just vibrates.. The dealer initially said the tired weren't balance. Great! I gave it a couple of days and took back the following week witht he same issue. A Road Force Balance was performed and the dealer said though the mechanic doesn't feel anything out of the norm.... One of the tires has 22lbs of even though the limit is 40lbs. I was told the vehicle was probably parked for a while in their lot before it was sold.  Really? They took me for that guy? LOL...  I kept my cool and requested to change my tire. At this point the Yukon now has 500 miles, the dealer had it for 2 days and the loaner was a short body Yukon with the same problem. I was hoping the loaner would ride much smoother for comparison. This is now Friday 9/21/18 and The family and I are going to Disney (240 miles away). I told the Service adviser i don't want issues with this vibration. He and the mechanic said to drive it about 1k miles and the wheels will reshape themselves LOL! again i told myself, these people must take me for some idiot. I wasn't about to argue since you get no where by simply being pissed.  Today i took the Yukon to a wheel & rim shop, i paid for an RFB because i wanted a second opinion.  The owner allowed me to witness the RFB being performed.   This shop owner said for these specs up to 40lbs is acceptable but he said 10lbs is ideal because these ranges are so far off.

Tires:

RF 25 lbs

LR 22 lbs

FR 13 lbs

LL 13 lbs

Clearly i immediately notice two tires are way above the others. My next step is going back to the dealer to request the tires to be swapped. I rented a Yukon XL last Christmas and I loved it!. The ride was sooo smooth.. Now it's like a $70k crappy overcooked piece of steak with a bad after taste that just won't away. 

Has anyone had these issues and how we’re you able to resolve it?

Here is a video i took this weekend..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1veb8hmqfj7gEpoz84pjQffEukwCCOtok

Carlos - You may want to post a new thread for this issue.  This thread is about a Torque Converter Clutch issue on 2015 and some 2016 models which yours definitely sounds like either a tire balancing issue or possibly shock issue.  Only reason I mention to post a new  thread is this is rather old and people are not likely to see it.  I don't believe the 2018's have the TCC problem the 2015i and 2016s had.

• Like 1

Hello,

My 2015 Yukon Denali was at the dealer for about 2 weeks.  Paper work says they replaced the torque converter, trans filter, and fluid but the shutter returned though not as bad on the way home from the dealer.  Yesterday I drove the vehicle on the highway at highway speeds and it felt like it did before which was like driving on a rumble strip.  I'm in contact with GM and I want to have them tell me what the next step is.  Not confident leaving at the same dealer another 2 weeks is going to resolve the issue.  Part numbers they show on the paperwork are different than those of David C's they are as follows: 24274402 sl-n filter, 24285996 sl-n converter, Core chg 24285996-c sl-n converter,15035747 sl-n seal , 15077362 sl-n seal.  Basically I've got a $70K ghetto cruiser ;-(

You may need to drive it for a few weeks under various conditions as the transmission will need to relearn.  I would also call the dealer and ask them if they did a fast relearn on it.  That will help and should have been done afterwards but it still does need to relearn various shifts under different conditions.

With that said, its entirely possible you have more going on with the transmission.  If it shudders at certain shifts (3-4 or 5-6) it could some of the bands wearing.

It has been so long I can't remember if I had any shudder after they fixed mine or if I needed to drive it for a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

FYI.. took ownership of a CPO 2017 Yukon Denali with 26k miles last night.

During the test drive, I drove it in Manual mode an everything was great! Bought it for a decent price.. on the way home, I was cruising in Drive, and noticed the severe shuddering when up shifting and when just accelerating softly from 50 - 60 (very noticable around 58mph).

I immediately called the dealer to let them know.. they're coming down to give me a loaner on Monday and take the truck into the shop.

Manager said "it probably needs to be re-programmed".. i said, "LOL, no - it's the torque converter that a ton of other people are having & complaining about online".

hope they fix it quickly.

Could be the TCC but the detect that plagued 2015i/2016 shouldn't have persisted into 2017.  It can also be the AFM.  When in manual mode the AFM is supposed to be disabled.  I've heard the fix for shuddering due to AFM may be a fuel injector cleaning and in some cases the shop will disable AFM if its really annoying/problematic.

After 3 years of the transmission though I will say that sometimes it just shifts roughly or clunks and ocassionally I'll still get a shudder when shifting even after the TCC was replaced.