Direct Injector Cleaner

GM Fuel System Treatment Plus p/n 88861013 or Chevron with Techron (the GM is made by Chevron, its the Chevron Techron with a GM label on the bottle). Also, http://www.toptiergas.com/ Running a good top tier gas should reduce the need to run a cleaner often or even at all.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

Dirty injectors aren't much of an issue; however, dirty intake valves are more of an issue and a fuel system cleaner wont do anything for that.

So how does using top tier gas do any thing to help your engine? If it's the valves are what need cleaned.

Top tier gas already has detergents that clean your injectors. As 15HDriver mentioned you really won't need to add an injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner if you're using a quality gasoline. Most modern engines burn gas cleaner thus leading to reduced carbon build up. Unfortunately with the change to Direct Injection, fuel is not used to clean off the intake injectors as used in non direct injection engines. Because of this, there is a posibility of oil cooking to the intake valve building up carbon, thus slowing the valve operation leading to reduced power and efficiency. Hence all the talk of a need for a catch can. They do make intake valve cleaner for direct injection engines, Seafoam, CLC and Gumout being the main off the shelf brands.but as mentioned, it's not a simple add to your fuel product. Instead you have to open up your Throttle body and spray the cleaner in while reving the engine at or around 1K RPM and let it soak on the intake valves. Your truck will apew some nasty blueish smoke almost like burning oil.

So how does using top tier gas do any thing to help your engine? If it's the valves are what need cleaned.

Edited by Silverado Steve

I have used seafoam once so far in 21k. Sprayed it directly into the throttle body, let it sit then drove hard. How often do those who use it run it through then engine? I have also wondered if using E85 for a few tanks every once in a while would help clean the injectors? I still haven't installed a catch can, but may if I buy out the lease.

Just drive the truck and don't worry about it. Let's hope GM did a good job in designing this DI engine and if there are any problems it does not show itself till way up in mileage. If not and the DI 5.3 ends up being a problem for me then I will move on to another company that makes a regular FI V8 (if any exist when that time comes). I have owned GM's exclusively for more years than most on here but they don't own me or my wallet, doesn't bother me one bit to move on.

Edited by tnchevy

About every 3k-5k miles, I run a large bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner at fill up. I also run Top Tier gas about 90-95% of the time.

Since it has a DI Engine, I also chose to install a Catch Can around 2k-3k miles. Who knows if it will help, but a little extra peace of mind was worth $150 to me, as I intend to keep my truck 10+ years.

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2016 at 6:33 AM, gmcleer said:

I have used seafoam once so far in 21k. Sprayed it directly into the throttle body, let it sit then drove hard. How often do those who use it run it through then engine? I have also wondered if using E85 for a few tanks every once in a while would help clean the injectors? I still haven't installed a catch can, but may if I buy out the lease.

Running E85 will help keep things clean since it burns so clean in its self. 

I run a bottle of AMSOIL's P.i. every 5k miles to keep things clean as well as run E85.

API.jpg

Running E85 will help keep things clean since it burns so clean in its self. 

I run a bottle of AMSOIL's P.i. every 5k miles to keep things clean as well as run E85.
API.jpg.b60d18c745acd1915ac2309f31cb6de9.jpg
I used to swear by amsoil PI before my company switched to Mobil. Now I use BG 44k.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use a bit of Lucas 10003 Upper Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner and seafoam in each tank. I also like running shell 91 V Power. Seems to be nice and smooth and good economy. 

I had the Check engine light flash for random multiple misfires1 20,000kms ago.....thats when i changed teh gas over to premium and tried the cleaners. no issues since. 

I've heard good things about the CRC GDI IVT cleaner. Few comparisons on youtube on that vs seafoam. Seems to work well. Planning on running some of that into the valves and a fuel system cleaner in the tank soon.