New to the forum, Cold air intake input?

I read that the Airaid M.I.T. tube which keeps the factory air filter box with an AC Delco filter or other name brand filter flows better than one of the expensive full intake kits with an oiled or dry "performance" filter. I had a K&N intake kit on my '98 and really the only real plus was the whole thing of going 50,000-100,000 miles without cleaning the filter as opposed to buying a factory filter about every 5-10,000 miles. Well regular paper filters can go about 25,000-50,000 miles I believe. Also with an oiled filter you have the chance of the oil coming off of the filter element and coating the MAF sensor. Then a dry filter seems like it wouldn't filter as well as it should.

So I vote the Airaid M.I.T. and if you want to add a "performance" filter just get a factory drop in that goes in the factory filter box.

Cold Air Inductions is a quality piece. Had one on my Trailblazer SS for awhile and now have one on my 16 Silverado 5.3 and love it.

+1 I have one on my camaro

Ryan

An impartial scientific study by a neutral party using expensive testing equipment......... Eh, what do they know?

Over 50 yrs. ago, I clothes-pinned baseball cards to the front fork of my 20" bicycle so they would flap in the spokes and it sounded great and it traveled faster and I gained an extra 20% footpower, and no expensive equipment or impartial study could convince me that it didn't. Essentially, I gained valuable knowledge for the expense of a Babe Ruth baseball card ......If you think that it works......it really does!

Now thanks to modern gizmos I have the opportunity to do the same thing to for my motor vehicles simply by using a straight piece of pipe minus the quieting OEM Helmholtz resonators and a reusable oil soaked large pore filter that as a bonus if not charged properly can discharge a micro mist of oil and screw up the downstream MAF sensor.

An impartial scientific study by a neutral party using expensive testing equipment......... Eh, what do they know?

Over 50 yrs. ago, I clothes-pinned baseball cards to the front fork of my 20" bicycle so they would flap in the spokes and it sounded great and it traveled faster and I gained an extra 20% footpower, and no expensive equipment or impartial study could convince me that it didn't. Essentially, I gained valuable knowledge for the expense of a Babe Ruth baseball card ......If you think that it works......it really does!

Now thanks to modern gizmos I have the opportunity to do the same thing to for my motor vehicles simply by using a straight piece of pipe minus the quieting OEM Helmholtz resonators and a reusable oil soaked large pore filter that as a bonus if not charged properly can discharge a micro mist of oil and screw up the downstream MAF sensor.

Hence the Airaid MIT recommendation, stock air box and can use stock filter or high performance dry filter.

If you like the sound and a little extra throttle response, why not. Just shouldn't go into to it thinking it's going to make a big difference in power, improved throttle response, yes.

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+

I ran an Airaid cold air on my last vehicle (Trailblazer) but based on what I read about after-market air box testing on the current generation Silverado/Sierra, I chose to keep the factory air box and install an Airaid MIT.

The MIT gives a definite sound enhancement over the super quiet stock air tube, and gave me a very slight enhancement in throttle response. Once I finished the job by adding a Borla Touring Exhaust, I was happy.

Archived