2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

2 days in the shop.....might be a good sign that they actually are doing something. But to be fair I have the "loose" steering and the Digital Steering Assist System not working as advertised.

I have a 2015 2500hd and 2016 3500hd the 15 has 15500 miles no issues ever with anything the 16 has 5500 and at 4500 miles the steering went to 2" to 3" of play this is a big issue for me because I hated the dodge that I had because of replacing steering components every 15000 miles so I bought a 16' silverado for work because my 15' was so great so I'm glad that it isn't just my truck but sad that chevy went to the speed sensing steering I don't like it anyway

• Like 1

Bought a new 2016 2500 High Country about 6 weeks ago and has 2500 miles on it now. Steering becomes worse each day. Took it to a dealer here in Atlanta along with the TSB that was posted in this forum and they actually made it worse. Going to dealer #2 next week. I have waited years to buy this truck and I am not very happy at this time.

My 2016 2500 HD Denali has had sloppy steering since day one. Was just going to live with it. Then it started leaking and I found this topic and tab. Took a week to get it in, but 2.5 hours later it drives as good as my 2014 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Got it back and within 600 miles it got worse. Had 3-4 inches of play. Took it back and they fixed it. Said they did a long list of items plus recal of sensors. The paperwork states...remove steering box and perform adjustment procedure per bulletin #pit5501c. reset btoe in. relearn steering angle sensor & p/s pressure sensor learn.

Easy steering going slow, much tighter at high speeds plus no slop. We will see......

I'm not a big fan of drive by wire for steering. I know a steering shaft can have problems but in my 40 years of driving that has never happened. I want a mechanical solid link, not a wire. I know the 16 still has a shaft but the assist is a wire and is causing problems. Stop the "driver assist" of everything from parking to braking, don't take the experience of driving away, if you don't want to pay attention to your driving then TAKE THE BUS!!

Edited by MotionMan
  • Like 2

This is not a problem with the digital assist system. The digital assist system on its own cannot cause "play" in the steering. Its a problem with the torque of the pitman arm nut on the steering box itself. Hopefully when they get that sorted you guys wont have any other issues with it.

-Eli

If that's the case I wonder if the problem is restricted to trucks built @ 1 of the 2 HD assembly plants (improperly torqued nuts) or both plants (Improper torque spec)?

I'm not a big fan of drive by wire for steering. I know a steering shaft can have problems but in my 40 years of driving that has never happened. I want a mechanical solid link, not a wire. I know the 16 still has a shaft but the assist is a wire and is causing problems. Stop the "driver assist" of everything from parking to braking, don't take the experience of driving away, if you don't want to pay attention to your driving then TAKE THE BUS!!

Well said! A co-worker & I used to rant all the time about the dumbing down of the driving experience.

Do the vehicles posted above all have the Driver Assist option?

These are not "drive by wire steering". There is a mechanical link from the steering wheel all the way down to the wheels. The Digital Assist power steering only assists with additional "digitally controlled" valves in the steering box through inputs from other computers on board that monitor things like speed, steering wheel positon, force, tow/haul mode, etc. I am not a big fan of it either, but the market dictates what GM does. That means copying other manufacturers and to make the truck drive as easy as a sedan. GM will no doubt eventually catch up to the new Ford adaptive steering too. That's just crazy!

At any rate, My 2016 2500HD Duramax has sloppy steering too. So as I sit here and type this, my truck is now in the shop to have this fixed. I drove another 2500HD and the steering on that truck was noticeably much better.

I have a 2016 Duramax 2500hd with 7900 miles and it just went in for this yesterday. I wonder how many people have had this issue, seems like a lot. My dealer said this is the first one for them. He also said that they were going to replace my steering gear not repair/adjust the old one.

Please post up if your truck has been in for this!

Bought my 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD diesel crew cab 4x4 in July after retiring the same truck (2007 1/2, new body style) with 267,000 miles and never a problem (still has original brakes). Put 15,000 highway miles on my new truck, various trips, TX to CO twice for scouting/hunting elk, fly fishing here/there with pleasure/ease - this thing is cadillac! On a short trip (180 miles) to do some deer scouting in TX I noticed slack (lash) in my steering. Heading home the next day and the lash had increased to 3-4 inches before the wheels would take up and turn from left to right. WTF? Brand new truck? Contacted the dealer when I got home, service department said don't drive the truck - call roadside assistance and have it towed in. Dealer had if for a day and made the repair. Nut on top of steering box had backed off - they tightened, retorqued (with red permatex) and called it good. Steering back to tite as new, but we'll see. Geez.