2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

18 hours ago, trpower said:

That sounds like a total different issue than the steering lash looseness that I had. Reading the DTC code in the TSB that you supplIed shows a sensor issue. I do know they had a few flashes after they fixed my steering they preformed. Maybe one for your issue ? Good luck. 

Yeah, I agree. I don't think my issue is mechanical at all and apparently neither does the engineer. The service advisor gave me and update yesterday afternoon. He said the engineer wants to replace all the electrical components and sensors and have the originals sent in for testing. The parts are on order and should be in next week. 

The idea behind this digital assist steering is cool, but I'm not sure that the complexity is worth it. To many possible points of failure...

Edited by zert100

• 3 weeks later...

Well, look what I found!

I found a small amount of power steering fluid under the front of my 2016 GMC 2500 Duramax about 6 weeks ago. I called my dealer and they said to bring it in. I did thinking they'd be ordering a new steering box but they called and said they got it all fixed. They said the bulletin called for them to locktite a "bleeder" bolt and it should be fine... "If it leaks again we'll order a new steering box". As I was running the block heater cord that was still in it's factory location I noticed power steering fluid again. I took it in and they put me in a loaner Malibu and said the new steering box will be in tomorrow and they'll have the truck done later in the afternoon. I bought the truck used this April with 9k miles and it's been an amazing machine. I traded my 2000 Silvy 1500 so it was a major upgrade. We camp every weekend in the summer, towing the mountains of Pennsylvania, it's a pleasure having this truck and it's capabilities, I really don't have anything bad to say about it other than this leak. The dealer's been great although they got me thinking when the writer apologized today saying "we had to try the locktite first" so I had a feeling he knew that wouldn't work. I didn't have any play though as some have described, just a small leak. I did talk to the mechanic and he said that it only happened in 2016 models and the new box fixes the problem. Hopefully this will fix the problem!

Edited by 717 DMax
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 2:50 PM, 717 DMax said:

Well, look what I found!

They said the bulletin called for them to locktite a "bleeder" bolt and it should be fine... "If it leaks again we'll order a new steering box".

Bleeder bolt! Who in the world is working on your truck, a couple of 7 year olds?

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Bleeder bolt! Who in the world is working on your truck, a couple of 7 year olds?

My guess is that was a way to soften the issue but yah they said there's a small bold that's used to bleed air out of the steering box and they find a way of working loose. I got the truck back Tuesday and it's fine so far. I see no difference.

3 hours ago, 717 DMax said:

My guess is that was a way to soften the issue but yah they said there's a small bolt that's used to bleed air out of the steering box and they find a way of working loose. I got the truck back Tuesday and it's fine so far. I see no difference.

Sounds like more nonsense. Never heard of bleeding the PS system before.

It's the lash adjustment screw that is working loose in this situation. It makes you wonder how intelligent the people are that dealerships hire.

Sounds like more nonsense. Never heard of bleeding the PS system before.

It's the lash adjustment screw that is working loose in this situation. It makes you wonder how intelligent the people are that dealerships hire.
Service writer talking BS to make you go away...that's all that was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The bleeder bolt they are talking about is probably the lash adjustment bolt that works loose and fluid leaks out . That's what mine did. Comes up the threads.  I don't recall seeing a bleeder bolt. Will look next time when I have it on the lift. 

The bleeder bolt they are talking about is probably the lash adjustment bolt that works loose and fluid leaks out . That's what mine did. Comes up the threads.  I don't recall seeing a bleeder bolt. Will look next time when I have it on the lift. 
There isn't a bleeder...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence but more trying to make a known problem seem like less of a big deal. My trucks under a $0 deductible warranty until 2023, they'll keep fixing it until it's right, but I do feel for those who are paying for this repair when their truck's out of warranty. My 03 Acura TL's trans is going to need rebuilt. I did a search and most of this model that's still on the road is having the same torque converter problem... I'll come off the hip for that fix to the tune of $4k. Acura says there's no history of this problem, google says different. Consumers need more protection on issues like these.

This is my second DMax. I still have my 2005 with 195000 miles on it. Still runs like the day I drove it off the lot.  So I hsve been  very happy with my trucks. I believe my lash adjustment came loose after a 25 mile trip in the back country in Idaho fishing. Lot of washboard roads. That shouldn't  have loosened up but I noticed it a few hundred miles after that trip. Overall this is the only issue in 25000 miles so far. For a 1 ton rides great. Running about 20 + on highway mpg. I hope this truck continues like the 2005. Will be my last truck if it does. The right dealer is important. Do your homework before going in for service. I had all the current TSB on the service of the steering in my hand. If anyone's out of warrenty gm shows less than 2 hours to do that lash fix. Show them the estimated labor . 

• 1 month later...

Made it to almost 24,000 miles and I think I have this issue.  Plowed a lot, then got on the interstate, suddenly the truck was wandering all over.  I can turn the wheel through about a 4" arc in the center and not change the direction of the wheels.  But it picks up ok and feels ok at the edges on that area.  If I get on a crowned road it's not too bad because I just hold it to the left and it's good.

Made an appointment today.  Dealer said they had no idea...lol.

1 hour ago, trpower said:

Bring the TSB about the loose steering. I now have almost 10,000 miles on my truck since the fix was done. Still tight.

I may do that.  Found the PDF earlier in the the thread.  It is comical how they probably know this stuff but they will refuse to agree with any evidence you might have.