2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

Even though a new steering box may not be the final solution to this problem the only way you will get your original replaced is if the dealer requests it from GM tech support. My dealer did it by stating the latest TSB (D) did not work. I am convinced the problem is related to the digital assist because the looseness/tightness of the wheel changes with speed. For me it becomes loose between 45-72 mph. Outside of that range the wheel is a much tighter feeling. If it was the nut backing out speed would not change the feeling in the wheel. But maybe yours is different but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Even though a new steering box may not be the final solution to this problem the only way you will get your original replaced is if the dealer requests it from GM tech support. My dealer did it by stating the latest TSB (D) did not work. I am convinced the problem is related to the digital assist because the looseness/tightness of the wheel changes with speed. For me it becomes loose between 45-72 mph. Outside of that range the wheel is a much tighter feeling. If it was the nut backing out speed would not change the feeling in the wheel. But maybe yours is different but I doubt it.

Mine is exactly and I mean exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is the same aswell.. truck has just been sitting at dealer for 5 days I havent heard anything back. I was suppose to get a call back from manager but nothing. I'm contacting a lawyer tomorrow and calling GM myself, I'm pushing for lemon law

• Like 1

I believe my dealer ordered the part for TSB D but didn't say anything about the truck being unsafe to drive. Told me they would call me to come back in when the parts were in.

I would double check with the dealer to be on the safe side or even refuse to drive it with the known issue. It would be brutal to be involved in an accident...the potential to hurt someone is to serious in my opinion. I'm a pilot and I wouldn't fly knowing the ailerons or stabilizers may or may not work. Driving your truck is no different. They shouldn't turn a blind eye...

My dealer ordered parts for 'D' fix for mine as well and told me it was not safe to drive. I've been in a 2017 Silverado 1/2 ton for 10 days now with no word from the dealer...

I would double check with the dealer to be on the safe side or even refuse to drive it with the known issue. It would be brutal to be involved in an accident...the potential to hurt someone is to serious in my opinion. I'm a pilot and I wouldn't fly knowing the ailerons or stabilizers may or may not work. Driving your truck is no different. They shouldn't turn a blind eye...

My dealer ordered parts for 'D' fix for mine as well and told me it was not safe to drive. I've been in a 2017 Silverado 1/2 ton for 10 days now with no word from the dealer...

Exactly. Demand the service department to give you a letter that vehicle is safe to operate. If they won't hand them the keys and ask what kind of courtesy vehicle they will be providing.

Then phone the government regulator and report it from their phone in front of them. Ask them to google the number for you

• Like 1

Just got a call from the dealer. Truck will be ready on Thursday. They are installing the new steering gear pitman shaft kit...the 'D' fix. Keep you posted on the results!!

• Like 1

I am going to call and ask exactly what they ordered. The truck has less than 1k miles but the steering is noticeably lose but probably not near as bad of some people on here.

I also have the noise coming from the steering column and I also have have to keep the steering wheel about 5 degrees to the left to keep the truck strait. Not sure if these are separate or related issues.

• Like 1

Just got a call from the dealer. Truck will be ready on Thursday. They are installing the new steering gear pitman shaft kit...the 'D' fix. Keep you posted on the results!!

My brother picked his up yesterday after they did the same (I was under the impression they were swapping the box). The service dep't told him if if acts up, contact them & they'd get the the box ordered.

He drove it home about 25 miles & he said it felt much better. When I was talking to him last night I said that some guys weren't too thrilled about the thought of the techs monkeying w/ the steering box & wanted the complete new unit. His comment was, "It's not a ring & pinion swap for crying out loud".

Question for everyone following this issue...

I have a 2016 2500 Dmax Silverado with 3,700 miles. Since new, when I crank the steering wheel at a stand still, I can hear a squeal and noise. However I do not have loose steering, or any issues yet aside from a noise. Twice now, Chevy has said it's entirely normal. Does this noise indicate I will inevitably have this steering issue? Is there anything I can do to get them to fix it?

I've just been told it's normal and there's no fix.

Edited by dvdprL

I have a 2016 2500 Dmax Silverado with 3,700 miles. Since new, when I crank the steering wheel at a stand still, I can hear a squeal and noise. However I do not have loose steering, or any issues yet aside from a noise. Twice now, Chevy has said it's entirely normal. Does this noise indicate I will inevitably have this steering issue? Is there anything I can do to get them to fix it?

I personally did not have any noises from steering.

My issue has always been excessive steering lash.

So far so good, repair is holding.

Plus temps here for the next week so potholes should start to show up. We'll see if that helps manifest any issues

It is not normal to have a noise or squeal. You are being fed a line of bs. I'd be in there every day until they diagnosed it and fixed it. Contact GM about it too. Also ask to take another 2500 out from the lot to see the difference, take the maintenance pers with you.

• Like 1

It is not normal to have a noise or squeal. You are being fed a line of bs. I'd be in there every day until they diagnosed it and fixed it. Contact GM about it too. Also ask to take another 2500 out from the lot to see the difference, take the maintenance pers with you.

We went out to the lot, they only had two on the lot, both of which made the same noise... so I was kind of at a loss on how to proceed.

Its the booster pump according to some other info shared on this thread, mine had no such noise until about 5000 miles. Now at idle it sounds like a bearing thats about to seize....this is getting rediculous. Nice job GM....the government should have let you burn.

Update! Got the truck back on Saturday and so far all is good. Different feeling in the steering for sure...the way it should be. I hope it stays this way!!

• Like 1