2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

Finally at a dead end. Dropped my 2016 Highcountry off at dealer #3 last week, dealer #2 would not return my phone calls. A friend of my sons said dealer #3 fixed his GMC and I should take mine there. Dealer #2 was able to remove the 3" of play, but could not make it 100%, the truck would still wander. So I was exicited when dealer #3 called and said my truck was ready. The excitment did not last long. Upon my arrival, they said dealer #2 completed TSB D correctly installing the pitman shaft. They rechecked all the settings along with the alignment and said that was all they could do. The service writer stated the tech drove the truck and he said it was good, I guess he drove it around the dealership. Once out on GA 400 heading south, it was and is still the same, constantly having to correct the path of the truck. Now I am in a battle of how I know it drives and how they think it drives. I have waited for years to buy a truck like this and now I am stuck with a $64k wandering truck. This all makes me sick, for years I have driven GM vehicles, but no more. I will tell everyone that will listen how GM is treating everyone that has this issue. I guess the next big question is.............Ford or Ram!

You mentioned GA 400 - I would be curious as to which dealers you have tried. So far I have good luck with the GMC dealer in Buford.

So far so good on the repairs they did on mine - they had to replace the steering box as TSD C did not work.

I will admit - I am not a ford person at all but I have been looking at them as a replacement if it fails again... I have had Rams before - they have their own problems.

I was told by the last service writer that unless GM has issued a TSB or a recall then they could not change out the steering box. Guess I need to ask again.

Dealer # 1- Hendrick-Duluth

Dealer #2 - Andean

Dealer #3- John Megel

I was told by the last service writer that unless GM has issued a TSB or a recall then they could not change out the steering box. Guess I need to ask again.

Dealer # 1- Hendrick-Duluth

Dealer #2 - Andean

Dealer #3- John Megel

In my case, the TSB C still failed the specs after they tired. The direction from GM was to replace the steering box. The tech at Jim Ellis in Buford also drives a 3500 and knows what he is doing.

Been following this post I have an F 2500hd as well anyone notice that when your in tow/haul mode the steering feels alot lighter then usuall? I remember telling them dealer a couple of times that the steering felt alil off from my previous 08s and 15 , dealer told it was fine and maybe bc it had 20s on it now after following this post I'm really starting to think otherwise what is the rpo code for the steering assist?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Been following this post I have an F 2500hd as well anyone notice that when your in tow/haul mode the steering feels alot lighter then usuall? I remember telling them dealer a couple of times that the steering felt alil off from my previous 08s and 15 , dealer told it was fine and maybe bc it had 20s on it now after following this post I'm really starting to think otherwise what is the rpo code for the steering assist?

If you have the digital assist on the truck (I know all Dmax have it), that is normal. Here is the Chevy promo on it.

"Tailored for Tow/Haul: A truck loaded with cargo or pulling a large, heavy trailer handles much differently than an empty truck because of the added weight. A steering wheel that normally feels light and easy to turn may require greater effort once the truck is laden. Sierra’s Digital Steering Assist solves that: When the driver pushes the Tow/Haul switch -- which also adjusts transmission tuning -- Digital Steering Assist responds by increasing low-speed assist and reducing static steering effort another 10%."

Mark

Edit: Believe the RPO code is NV8

Edited by HeliMark
  • Like 1

Now have to figure out if I have it I notice it does get alot lighter with the tow haul on .... and difference when looking under the truck as opposed to steering box idler or pitman arm?

This is the top view (over the LH fender) of the non-DSA steering box in my 2017 Silverado HD:

Non%20DSA%20Steering%20Box%20-%20Copy_zp

I saw some posts elsewhere on GM-T where people asked if the dealer unhooked the Hydroboost? I'm not sure how that would be possible because the Hydroboost/power steering pump is driven by the main serpentine belt & is used to provide the power assist for the brakes.

Edited by revrnd

It really is too bad that GM isn't taking care of this issue with a factory recall. It appears as though they haven't figured out a real fix as of yet. If you want the issue fixed, Red Head Steering Gears out of Auburn, Wa has rebuilt these gears and gotten all of the slop/play out. The adjuster nut band-aid is not the only issue with these gears. Factory tolerances are very poor on this gear and the ball bearings in the worm and piston are not properly sized. Red Head has sourced custom sizes to get the proper fit on each box eliminating that slop in the worm gear. Look them up if you want the issue resolved once and for all

Edited by danielf

It really is too bad that GM isn't taking care of this issue with a factory recall. It appears as though they haven't figured out a real fix as of yet. If you want the issue fixed, Red Head Steering Gears out of Auburn, Wa has rebuilt these gears and gotten all of the slop/play out. The adjuster nut band-aid is not the only issue with these gears. Factory tolerances are very poor on this gear and the ball bearings in the worm and piston are not properly sized. Red Head has sourced custom sizes to get the proper fit on each box eliminating that slop in the worm gear. Look them up if you want the issue resolved once and for all

I wasn't sure about the ball bearing sizing, but I was leaning towards sloppy machining (out of tolerance). If you have been talking to this vendor, have they said anything about heat treatment of the pitman shaft? Most folks (my brother included) here say that initially the steering was great then after a certain amount of time, the steering gets sloppy. Sounds like premature wear on the gear tooth faces.

I wasn't sure about the ball bearing sizing, but I was leaning towards sloppy machining (out of tolerance). If you have been talking to this vendor, have they said anything about heat treatment of the pitman shaft? Most folks (my brother included) here say that initially the steering was great then after a certain amount of time, the steering gets sloppy. Sounds like premature wear on the gear tooth faces.

According to Red Head, there are 3 big things causing issues with the gear. One is the thrust bearing comes loose, two: improperly sized ball bearings, and 3: poor machining tolerances. No mention of heat treatment on the pitman arm shaft causing pre-mature wear. I can definitely see that causing an issue. Might be worth asking if they are seeing these shafts come in with wear on the teeth of these shafts.

• Like 1

Has there been any correlation between failures and the digital steering assist or build dates of the affected trucks? My truck has a date of 9/16 and is not showing any symptoms yet.

I have the digital steering get assist

Edited by 4x4Pete

Has there been any correlation between failures and the digital steering assist or build dates of the affected trucks? My truck has a date of 9/16 and is not showing any symptoms yet.

I have the digital steering get assist

Nobody has responded to my build date post like the assy plant code question. It seemed that all the respondents had trucks built in Flint. Seems strange but then maybe all trucks w/ DSA are 'allocated' to Flint?

Edited by revrnd

My truck was built in Flint as well, I assumed that all the crew cab 2500's were made in Flint. There still is no widespread news of this problem and I hope it is only a small number of trucks with this issue. I had a look at the steering box on my truck and it looks the same as other boxes but has an additional electronic component added to it.