2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

• 2 weeks later...

My 2016 with 39000 miles on it had this issue. Flint truck. Dealer said they would cover it under warranty. They picked it up Friday and brought it back to me on Monday. They replaced the pitman shaft. Feels great again. Great customer service from Covert Chevrolet in Bastrop TX. They even gave me a loaner. Service manager said 15% of the 2500 trucks they sold have had this issue. He also said he has not yet seen reoccurrence after the repair.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just got off the phone with my steering gear builder and found out a couple of things...

1: DSA has nothing to do with steering slop.

2: The slop has everything to do with poor quality control of the steering gear, including different size ball bearing utilized in the worm and piston gears...this is a cheap way to make the gear work.

3: Thrust bearings are not tight enough.

4: Lock ring is not tight enough.

5: Not sure what this is called but the adjuster nut at the opposite end of the pitman shaft is torqued to proper spec's, and doesn't have a locking nut on it.

6: The 2017 model has the same steering box as the 16...I think it also effects the 2015 but I'm not certain.

I have about 2000 miles on my RH gear, also, just put a cognito PISK kit on...don't really notice any difference with the PISK kit, regardless truck drive great with no play in the steering...

Good luck guys!!

The sloppy steering develops slowly and I think you adapt without consciously noticing it until it gets really bad. I could move the steering wheel from 10-2 without the wheels moving in any direction just prior to shipping the gear off.

My experience may differ from yours, but I think the issue started for me around 8000 miles, GM complied with the TSB "D" which advises to replace the pitman arm, which helped a little. Curiously the teeth on the pitman arm were worn in half and I wondered where the metal from the pitman arm teeth went...evidently, even after flushing the gear there was still metal contamination in the gear which exacerbates bearing wear.

GM said the slop was normal for 16's...

They just lost another customer...

• Like 1

little over 2k miles on my 2016 from flint, and steering feels fine still. I'm just wondering if GM will actually send out a recall for this seeing as its a potential safety risk..i'm just wondering why its all from flint.

I have 18K on my '16 and so far so good. About 12K towing 9K if that makes any difference. Had the locktite SB done last summer on one of the free oil changes.

If they haven't done anything by now, I doubt they will unless they are "forced".

Mark

Edited by HeliMark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2017 2500 ltz duramax crew cab that drives horrible and when you put any trailer on whether it be a gooseneck or bumper hitch it whips a trailer all over the road.

Sold my 2016 and am not looking back at the pos. As far as I'm concerned it is a safety hazard and GM ought to install a permanent repair or buy these vehicles back. For me, they can hand over a few k for the bs I put up with and the loss on the sale. It is wrong to treat folks like crap who have spent 80k on a vehicle. How many bulletins will GM put owners through?