2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

Mine came on instantly. I was coming down a spiral multi-story parking ramp, heard a pop and noticed the slop as soon as I got up to speed getting on the highway. Dealer mentioned something about the nut not being tightened to spec and that is what allowed it to go. Replaced the box (they pulled one off another truck on the lot since they were on 1-2 week order at the time. Haven't had issues since. Though it took a few visits for them to get my steering aligned.

​Overall, I've very pleased with how my dealer handled the situation. I had a Ram with 6.4 Hemi previously and the thing clattered like an old diesel on cold startup. All the dealer (s) did was try to convince me (1) it's normal and (2) it's not making any abnormal sounds. Last straw was when I took a video in to show them and they still denied it. It was like trying to convince someone the earth is round... they just weren't buying it, despite the mountain of evidence.

The sloppy steering develops slowly and I think you adapt without consciously noticing it until it gets really bad. I could move the steering wheel from 10-2 without the wheels moving in any direction just prior to shipping the gear off.

My experience may differ from yours, but I think the issue started for me around 8000 miles, GM complied with the TSB "D" which advises to replace the pitman arm, which helped a little. Curiously the teeth on the pitman arm were worn in half and I wondered where the metal from the pitman arm teeth went...evidently, even after flushing the gear there was still metal contamination in the gear which exacerbates bearing wear.

GM said the slop was normal for 16's...

They just lost another customer...

I'm on here for a friend that doesn't own a computer & found this long thread for him.

He bought a brand new Flint built CC LTZ Duramax last fall & asked if I had crazy steering issues & I reported no problems with my Ft. Wayne built 15 HD gasser like he has. He is taking his to the dealer again tomorrow to have it looked at & have it checked. It was in a few months back for the same thing & they said it was air in the steering lines?

It has 23,000 miles on it now, I have since gave him what I found on here to show his dealer with the TSB. BTW his dealer has always treated him good.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great info & will keep you posted.

Edited by runsdeep
  • Like 1

Add me to the list of steering issues. Went camping last weekend and since the wife uses the truck to go to work I had not been in it all week. Driving down the road I have about 2 inches of play to either side before you get the wheels to move. very un-nerving when pulling a camper. Goes to dealer on Friday. Only 4000 miles on her.Hope it stays together till then. Has anyone had a total loss of steering?

I'm on here for a friend that doesn't own a computer & found this long thread for him.

He bought a brand new Flint built CC LTZ Duramax last fall & asked if I had crazy steering issues & I reported no problems with my Ft. Wayne built 15 HD gasser like he has. He is taking his to the dealer again tomorrow to have it looked at & have it checked. It was in a few months back for the same thing & they said it was air in the steering lines?

It has 23,000 miles on it now, I have since gave him what I found on here to show his dealer with the TSB. BTW his dealer has always treated him good.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great info & will keep you posted.

Well here's the update..

Dealer replaced the steering box & pitman arm all is good now. BTW his truck was built at the Flint Mich plant . Build date was 7-16

Edited by runsdeep

I read a lot of this thread, and although I do not believe I have the problem I do notice more play in the wheel than my 1500 did. Considering the suspension and geometry is different this doesn't surprise me.

My question is....

Has anyone had this issue on a truck other than a crew cab and or not built in Flint?

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Just took my 2016 2500 with 9,500 miles to the dealership today with the same issue, as soon as I told them what the problem was they already knew what was causing it. They had to order a whole new gear box so at least they are replacing and not just fixing. They said they have done 3 or 4 of these already.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of steering issues. Went camping last weekend and since the wife uses the truck to go to work I had not been in it all week. Driving down the road I have about 2 inches of play to either side before you get the wheels to move. very un-nerving when pulling a camper. Goes to dealer on Friday. Only 4000 miles on her.Hope it stays together till then. Has anyone had a total loss of steering?

You ain't kidding about un-nerving while pulling a camper. I bought this truck specifically to pull my camper and the first time I did it felt like it was all over the road. Just took mine to the dealership today, will have to wait on the part but hopefully will be fixed before our next trip in two weeks cause I'm not pulling a camper 5 hours like that.