2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

I am ordering a base model truck, you guys can keep the steering issues, wasn't a damn thing wrong with the standard steering system.

It is odd that Ford uses the exact same system/part with zero issues.

Edited by SMiller

I'm really curious to see if this is still an issue with 2017 models. If it hasn't been fixed yet I feel like it might be. Can anyone with a 2017 hd chime in? I wonder if it'll continue into 2018 models seeing as how there aren't any significant changes.

2017 Sierra 2500 All Terrain X Duramax L5P w/ 700 miles checking in. Felt a clicking in my steering when moving the wheel left to right slightly, from any position. This was most detectable at a stop with engine on. Engine off it couldn't be replicated.

Truck was dropped off August 15, steering gear was replaced. During install a pressure sensor was damaged and had to wait the weekend to get the part in.

Truck was probably picked up Aug 21., no more clicking feedback however I now have an alignment issue. To move straight forward I must hold the wheel at 11:30 position.

Taking truck back in tomorrow morning 10am.

Service department has been great so far. Didn't realize this many people were having the issue. Will follow up tomorrow. Going to try and get a more complete root cause analysis.

Edited by OpsWest

Im back to normal again. All seems good. Only time will tell though. :dunno:

I had all the fluid leak out of mine @ about 10k or so. I had no steering from 10-2. Whatever they did, it's still ok for now..

My father has a '06 3500 duramax and it drives like a dream as well. Wish there was a way to delete the crappy steering box with variable power assist and put the steering box that was on the 2015 and put it on the 2016 and 2017 and call it a day.

You have to wonder how many miles this system saw at the proving grounds before it was signed off or did the vendor screw up during manufacture?

Sometimes I think the OEMs regardless of the product rush stuff to market to have the latest & greatest thing out there. I had a Ski-doo w/ EFI & it took Bombardier a season & a half to get it calibrated properly. Look @ it wrong & 1 of the plugs would foul.

Most likely not very many miles, but in all reality I believe it was an issue with production assembly torque. However, with the re-tightening that they are doing will not repair any damage caused by the improper lash. As long as the steering doesn't lock up on me coming out of a turn, I'll be fine. Just don't like bandaids, that may be masking damage.

• Like 1

You have to wonder how many miles this system saw at the proving grounds before it was signed off or did the vendor screw up during manufacture?

Sometimes I think the OEMs regardless of the product rush stuff to market to have the latest & greatest thing out there. I had a Ski-doo w/ EFI & it took Bombardier a season & a half to get it calibrated properly. Look @ it wrong & 1 of the plugs would foul.

Manufacturers can only test so much. Consumers are beta testers and we as a whole are able to fully test the vehicles in all climates and conditions. There are always people who want the "latest and greatest" but no matter what, the first of production nearly always has some bugs or issues whether it's a vehicle or a cell phone. Due to technological advancements and the ever changing government regulations, this will always be the case. Due to my experience in the shop however, I will never purchase the first model year of a vehicle with a brand new drivetrain. Whether it be there are little glitches or they figured out they messed up big and make a vast improvement on whatever it is.

Before I purchased my 2016, I was looking at a low mileage 2014 LML as my 2010 Silverado had been great for me. I knew the steering assist was new for 2016 and the MyLink system was still too new for my comfort level as I knew of too many people personally experiencing glitches with it though GM seems to be learning due to the software updates to it. The 2017 L5P were off the table due to the new drivetrain. Well I ended up buying the 2016 as they were nearly giving away the 2016's to make room for the 2017 L5Ps as it was nearly the same price as what they wanted for the 2014. Well with less than 900 miles on my truck, my HMI crapped out taking down the MyLink system and took nearly 2 months to get it replaced due to backorder. Then here recently, at 7,200 miles, the steering issue. It is what it is though but maybe I look at this different because of my technician experience.

We as consumers need to realize as fast as technology changes, we need to be patient and understanding with the learning curve that is happening, especially when it comes to the electronics in vehicles. GM is finally stepping up in that department as they've lagged behind other manufactures, especially the Europeans, on certain features that have been out for 10+ years so it may be a little rougher until they catch up. Is it an inconvenience whenever something goes wrong? Of course. Does my experience make me hate my 2016 Silverado? No. Do I miss my 2010 Silverado that the only issue I ever had was the dash cracking (which was replaced under warranty)? Yes. Will I continue to buy GM vehicles? More than likely. To those people who purchase a brand new vehicle and expect it not to ever malfunction, is ridiculous. There is a warranty for a reason and just because you spent $XXX,XXX, means nothing. Enjoy your new vehicle and be happy you get a warranty in the US as not all countries get manufacturer warranties.

I apologize for my rant.

• Like 1

So far my only glitch has been the steering issue. Everything else is great. Mileage is good for a heavy 1 ton truck I am not a fan of DEF fluid but it is what it is. Seems to be hard to fill . Burps and makes a mess. But I can live with it. The truck is super quiet and rides great for a 1 ton.

I am going to flush the power steering pump and re fill it with the cold climate fluid to get ready for winter here. It sometimes seems a little noisy. Is it related to the steering lash being loose I don't know? I plan on a 2000 mile trip next month and will see how the steering issue goes. Other than that I am satisfied with the purchase. Have never owned any other makes so I stick with GM trucks. I still own a 2005 hd Duramax with 195,000. Still runs like new.Have had almost no issues with it. But what a difference in ride and comfort between the new and old.

Bang on w/ your rant.

My 1st truck, an '82 K15 was stuck @ the Truck Plant in Oshawa for a couple of months when it was determined the THM700R4 A/Ts were failing. That was the 1st model year for that tranny. I found out years later that the issue was chrome peeling off a shaft & going thru the internal passages.

• Like 1

Here is a copy of my component letter. This warrants my steering components 75k miles and 60 months from now. I'm assuming these parts are not covered in my 5yr/100k power train.

I expressed concern to my service tech about having issues after the warranty period, noting how happy I've been with their help thus far. He had to file a request with GM. Once it was approved, he called and talked me though what it meant and I got the letter about a week later. dfe10d6c831319023bae205a5667c764.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

My truck was designed to veer across the road. What will they come up with next.

http://BaDGMSteering..com

Can someone explain to why if a paved road has a slight 'crown' @ the center (your lane is 'flat'), why do you have to adjust the steering wheel to go straight? I'm pretty sure every vehicle I've owned requires this.

Can someone explain to why if a paved road has a slight 'crown' @ the center (your lane is 'flat'), why do you have to adjust the steering wheel to go straight? I'm pretty sure every vehicle I've owned requires this.

In my 2012, they have more caster (?) in one side than the other and that causes a drift to the ditch. I complained about this after having mine aligned, the guy was real good and pulled most of that funky adjustment off that side...tracks almost straight now (he left a little bit there).

I've been told car manufacturers add a little pull to the right in case you fall asleep, you drift off the road instead of into traffic. I doubt this is true, just what a couple old time mechanics told me back in the 90s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am ordering a base model truck, you guys can keep the steering issues, wasn't a damn thing wrong with the standard steering system.

It is odd that Ford uses the exact same system/part with zero issues.

I have had a 2016 HD 2500 base they did a buyback on. I ordered a 2017 Base 2500 HD with some options I wanted, and it is exactly the same. I test drove two other 2017 2500's on the lot that were the same as well. I did drive another truck that was not the same but it was SLT. GM has had enough of me and now takes the stance that they designed the truck to do what it does. This thing is no joke and I am over the center line or on the shoulder every time I drive it.