2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

I have a 16 Denali that has been in the shop a total of 3 weeks and 6 visits. 64K nightmare. For everyone who is having the steering issues GM has once again released a New TSB. This is the 5TH TSB for the 16 2500s now at letter D in relation to the steering issues. the PITMAN arm is now being replaced with a completely redesigned one. GM has released a new part number and my dealership had to order it from Detroit. Wont arrive till end of next week. I have had issues with my truck since Day one and of course GM does everything in there power to avoid the truth and take responsibility for there failure. Dealership even is saying gm is having issues. I ordered a Brand new 17 but am starting to question if there going to make things right. I have spoken with GM over and over for the last 5 months and there just now only going to offer a potential trade assist. No buyback or replace with the 17 i ordered pretty sad if you ask me. was denied auto loan repayment even tho truck has been out of service for a month total. Active BBB case and MD lemon law against GM and they still wont act.

I have had sloppy Steering since purchase took truck back 2 days after i got it and was told it will break in that they see nothing wrong.
At 4000 miles all hell broke loose 4x4 would not return to 4x2
Developed 3-4 inches of slacky steering.
Wheel went severely off center vehicle would go straight at 7-1 could take left turn at center.

Noises in front left of the truck.
Noise when going left to right at park (grinding and bang)

Dealership noted GM did not seat the front left shaft into the hub right and said it was barely even seated at all yet the nut was tightened. They re seated and 4X4 works now.
Steering issue has been failed and failed over and over...

Dealership had truck on alignment rack 8+ times in 6 hours.
Dealership performed over center adjustment on gearbox noticed the lash adjuster was loose and leaking re seated and adjusted .
Truck drove okay for 2 days then back to 3-4 inches of slop.
Dealership called GM and requested Gearbox be ordered.
Gearbox arrived and installed
Truck now Pulls the other direction at highway speed. Have to hold wheel with 2 hands and try not to look like a DUI as it sways back and forth.

10-25-16 Advised and left vehicle at GMC dealership once again. Took video documentation of the truck Thursday(Thanksgiving) and showed management and they parked it and gave me a loaner. Advised me a new TSB has been released once again and now they want the pitman arm discarded and replaced with new design. old design is being trashed. GM dealership acknowledges issues and now has 5 other trucks with issues like mine.

For those going through this Do not give up and put the heat on GM. No reason we as new truck owners who spend a ton of money for a truck to be safe and right should settle for less. Imagine towing a 5th wheel and having 3-4 inches of slop in the wheel its not fun.

I have a 16 Denali that has been in the shop a total of 3 weeks and 6 visits. 64K nightmare. For everyone who is having the steering issues GM has once again released a New TSB. This is the 5TH TSB for the 16 2500s now at letter D in relation to the steering issues. the PITMAN arm is now being replaced with a completely redesigned one. GM has released a new part number and my dealership had to order it from Detroit. Wont arrive till end of next week. I have had issues with my truck since Day one and of course GM does everything in there power to avoid the truth and take responsibility for there failure. Dealership even is saying gm is having issues. I ordered a Brand new 17 but am starting to question if there going to make things right. I have spoken with GM over and over for the last 5 months and there just now only going to offer a potential trade assist. No buyback or replace with the 17 i ordered pretty sad if you ask me. was denied auto loan repayment even tho truck has been out of service for a month total. Active BBB case and MD lemon law against GM and they still wont act.

I have had sloppy Steering since purchase took truck back 2 days after i got it and was told it will break in that they see nothing wrong.

Wheel went severely off center vehicle would go straight at 7-1 could take left turn at center.

Dealership noted GM did not seat the front left shaft into the hub right and said it was barely even seated at all yet the nut was tightened. They re seated and 4X4 works now.

Dealership performed over center adjustment on gearbox noticed the lash adjuster was loose and leaking re seated and adjusted .

Truck now Pulls the other direction at highway speed. Have to hold wheel with 2 hands and try not to look like a DUI as it sways back and forth.

10-25-16 Advised and left vehicle at GMC dealership once again. Took video documentation of the truck Thursday(Thanksgiving) and showed management and they parked it and gave me a loaner. Advised me a new TSB has been released once again and now they want the pitman arm discarded and replaced with new design. old design is being trashed. GM dealership acknowledges issues and now has 5 other trucks with issues like mine.

For those going through this Do not give up and put the heat on GM. No reason we as new truck owners who spend a ton of money for a truck to be safe and right should settle for less. Imagine towing a 5th wheel and having 3-4 inches of slop in the wheel its not fun.

Man, I have 2600 miles on mine and the box is leaking and 3inches of play and drifting on the highway. Noticed this problem when I was going to get a leveling kit put on. Now you guys make me think I should go have it taken off before I send it in to get work on it. As I know Chevy will try to blame the leveling kit. Is a 200$ removal of the kit worth the piece of mind??

Man, I have 2600 miles on mine and the box is leaking and 3inches of play and drifting on the highway. Noticed this problem when I was going to get a leveling kit put on. Now you guys make me think I should go have it taken off before I send it in to get work on it. As I know Chevy will try to blame the leveling kit. Is a 200$ removal of the kit worth the piece of mind??

I have learned through this process that GM will do ANYTHING to make it not there fault. I have dealt with the resource team,Exec office,Senior advisers you name it. Given the fact GM has released Now 5 Bulletins on this issue there is literately no way they can pin a leveling kit for a cause. I would find someone at a dealership that you may know and talk to for advice they might recommend removal tho. Unfortunately until someone is killed or seriously hurt GM wont do anything but make excuses for this. I have sent 3 lemon law letters been through 20 reps and GM dont care. Everyone with a truck that has these issues should be blowing GM's phones up and put the pressure on them.

Would you provide a link to the new TSB with new part number for pitman arm.

Thanks.

• Like 1

How hard is it to make steering boxes & pittman arms for crying out loud? Redesigning it? WTF? Sounds like sloppy manufacturing of the parts and/or assembly @ the plant(s).

It seems most of the owners reporting issues have '16s, was there a change year to year from the '15s?

Reminds me of an issue we had w/ the rear W car axle assembly process. No issues putting the parts together using St. Catharines Ont' sourced castings. The problem arose when the automated equipment couldn't deal w/ the out of spec/rough/poorly cast Saginaw sourced castings. GM's solution, close the St. Catharines foundry.

How hard is it to make steering boxes & pittman arms for crying out loud? Redesigning it? WTF? Sounds like sloppy manufacturing of the parts and/or assembly @ the plant(s).

It seems most of the owners reporting issues have '16s, was there a change year to year from the '15s?

2016's have an electrical assisted steering system. It adjusts according to speed and also if you put it in tow/haul mode it becomes stiffer. Basically more $@it to go wrong. I don't need a 3/4 ton to drive like a car. Just drive like a truck. Hope i don't get this issue.

Edited by Dirtbiker
  • Like 1

Can you share the TSB info so I can take it in? Heading in pretty soon to have the truck aligned again. Steering slop has been gone for about 11000 miles, but can't seem to get the sucker aligned.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

the 2016 has different steering- the digital assist. My 2015 is great.

Yeah, I had read somewhere else that digital assist came on board for the 2016's. My 2015 is also good.

Can you share the TSB info so I can take it in? Heading in pretty soon to have the truck aligned again. Steering slop has been gone for about 11000 miles, but can't seem to get the sucker aligned.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am going to the dealership tomorrow since they are closed today and i am getting a copy of it i will post a copy here as soon as i get it tomorrow . Its so new there is nothing online with it yet. And my dealership has had nothing but issues with alignment on these now. How hard is it to make a truck that steers right? Pretty hard apparently.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow since they are closed today and i am getting a copy of it i will post a copy here as soon as i get it tomorrow . Its so new there is nothing online with it yet. And my dealership has had nothing but issues with alignment on these now. How hard is it to make a truck that steers right? Pretty hard apparently.

Appreciate it - thanks for sharing!

Found one thing online I will have the Full Page tomorrow its a long one. Dealer told me its A Pittman arm that was being ordered per TSB part number.
PIT5501D is the new code. D being the 5th bulletin GM has released it starts with no letters.

#PIT5501D - Steering Feels Loose / Excessive Lash / Fluid Leak At Lash Adjuster (Replace Pitman Shaft and Adjust over center lash)

Subject: Steering Feels Loose / Excessive Lash / Fluid Leak At Lash Adjuster (Replace Pitman Shaft and Adjust over center lash) Models: 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 2016 GMC Sierra 2500/3500
Edited by 2500denali

F for me

Mine is also F

I will now have to make sure my pitman arm gets replaced.

If they replace this box and it still does it again I think I'll just try to fix it myself. I seriously doubt a tech at a dealership is going to go properly through the procedure for setting up the box properly considering they get paid less on warranty work. I'm about 99% certain they just tightened mine up on the truck, which I could have done at home in about 30 min. The top of the frame was scraped up where they were accessing it and the bolts holding on the box looked untouched.

Edited by howdiy