2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

PS - My husband and I had to teach the service and sales staff at both dealers what the digital assist steering was in the 2016 so I am not too hopeful anyone there knows how to work on the steering.

what is digital assist?

Fresh from the dealership
New part is back ordered and is coming right from GM http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/84240812

SHAFT KIT - GM (84240812) New part number

Dealership said today he was wrong that it is NOT the pitman arm rather the Entire Pitman shaft assembly that needs replaced.

GMC 2500.pdf

GMC 2500.pdf

GMC 2500.pdf

GMC 2500.pdf

Edited by 2500denali

Update after all the visits in the shop and my safety concerns with the truck the resource team at GM has finally said they are "Working with internal resources to salvage the vehicle" She did not have a answer yet but said maybe by Friday they will have a answer. Just a week ago i was told there doing Nothing. I guess GM is finally realizing they have a issue after all. Will update everyone when i have answers. My advise to those that have these issues is stay on GM don't give up blow there phones up and push them to do the right thing.

Fresh from the dealership

New part is back ordered and is coming right from GM http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/84240812

SHAFT KIT - GM (84240812) New part number

Dealership said today he was wrong that it is NOT the pitman arm rather the Entire Pitman shaft assembly that needs replaced.

I don't really feel comfortable with a tech at a dealership completely dissembling the steering box and putting it back together

Update after all the visits in the shop and my safety concerns with the truck the resource team at GM has finally said they are "Working with internal resources to salvage the vehicle" She did not have a answer yet but said maybe by Friday they will have a answer. Just a week ago i was told there doing Nothing. I guess GM is finally realizing they have a issue after all. Will update everyone when i have answers. My advise to those that have these issues is stay on GM don't give up blow there phones up and push them to do the right thing.

What is there contact information?

It's only a matter of time before someone crashes from this, I don't know why they continue to issue half ass repairs, its not a minor issue, steering is pretty important

Edited by howdiy

New 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 6.6l. About 1,500 kms or 900 miles. Right from the get go I've been complaining about the Goodyear SRA tires, which I believe are garbage and do negatively affect the truck's handling. Dealership tried several times to center the steering wheel, alignment after alignment etc to correct the sloppiness. It seems like I've always had to fight the wheel, constantly adjusting with this truck. My 2010 1/2 ton was awesome on the road but six years later, this modern truck is a pain in the ass to drive.

When the dealer couldn't address my concerns, I got online and found the TSB. I dropped it at the dealer and they had not seen it before. Go figure, the first thing a dealership should do is check any outstanding recalls/bulletins. So now the parts have been ordered to fix a new truck. I hate it when this sort of thing happens because I lose confidence in the vehicle, like it is a faulty vehicle.

One thing is for certain, if this isn't a permanent fix, it will be traded or sold.

• Like 1

I don't really feel comfortable with a tech at a dealership completely dissembling the steering box and putting it back together

What is there contact information?

It's only a matter of time before someone crashes from this, I don't know why they continue to issue half ass repairs, its not a minor issue, steering is pretty important

I would start off by calling the Executive office at 1-855-880-1500 The resource team contacted me with the legal team since i filed a BBB complaint against GM

And i agree sadly it will take someone crossing a line in order for GM to wake up just like with other issues in the past 10 years.

• Like 1

Sad to see all these issues with brand new trucks. REALLY sad that this is my first post on the most expensive truck i have ever owned too.

The steering on my 3500 went south at 8K miles. I was towing a 24ft box trailer at about 9K lbs and really had a hard time holding a lane when passing or getting passed. I thought I had the trailer loaded wrong but checked tongue weight and was sitting perfectly. When I got home I in hooked and went for a drive and knew we had a problem. Its at the dealer now, I'm with a loaner and its taking longer than expected. My travel plans with family have been affected as well.

The sad part is I have owned many gm trucks, all with issues. I just came from a Tundra crew max with no issues at all...none. I towed the same trailer I am now and it never skipped a beat.....could not mis a gas station though. I enjoyed the Toyota forums with mods etc.....GM forums are full of issues.

Hope to have my truck back soon.