Trying to decide Chevy diesel 2500 or Sierra 1500 gas

Trying to decide if I want a Chevy 2500 Duramax or a gas gmc 1500. Money is not the deciding factor. The value of the 2500 is really pushing me in that direction. Plus I've always wanted a diesel. But only towing will really be a small duck boat and possible four wheeler or golf cart. If I get the Sierra I want the all terrain edition. The wife is ok with either. But she likes the 2500 high country Chevy and so do I. Just wonder comparing ride and maintenance and that sort of thing what you guys think. Thanks. First post on here.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diesel maintenance is expensive and if it ever breaks (which it will with all the new emissions crap) it will be costly. If you have the money to blow on a diesel and maintenance then go right ahead but for what you'll be towing the 1500 will be more than enough truck. But, make sure you get the proper gear ratio for towing the load adequetly. Check the window sticker to see what the final gear ratio is. A gas 1500 will be so much cheaper on your wallet and can put that money into your other toys

If its not money, then I would buy a Sierra Denali. To me a High Country looks like any other Silverado on the road but a Denali stands out.

You'll hate yourself if you buy a 3/4 ton if you don't need it gas or deisel. The ride quality and you buy much more truck in the 1/2 ton. You see many more large GM SUVs and 1/2 tons on the road with north of 200k miles on them because heavier trucks are mostly used for work. And the fuel milage is better.

Trying to decide if I want a Chevy 2500 Duramax or a gas gmc 1500. Money is not the deciding factor. The value of the 2500 is really pushing me in that direction. Plus I've always wanted a diesel. But only towing will really be a small duck boat and possible four wheeler or golf cart. If I get the Sierra I want the all terrain edition. The wife is ok with either. But she likes the 2500 high country Chevy and so do I. Just wonder comparing ride and maintenance and that sort of thing what you guys think. Thanks. First post on here.

FWIW, I just sold my 06 2500 GMC with Duramax/Allison combo and just bought a 16 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax.

Maintenance on the 06 was normal, /oil/tires/brakes/fuel filter. That was it.

I will say the up charge for the Duramax/ Allison is substantial just like adding 4wheel drive but I recouped it in the resale.

The ride on my 16 is amazing.

I test drove a 1500 and they are nice but I like having more hauling/towing capability.

It's just like 4wheel drive, you may rarely use it but when you need it it's worth it's weight in gold.

My brother has a 16 All Terrain edition, I doesn't do much for me. Approach/Depart angles are poor and rides to low.

If you really want to go off road get a Jeep Wrangler.

Your wife has good taste!

2 cents,

Dan

Also, i am averaging 20.3 mpg on my 16 2500HD.

This gets asked a lot IMO. The info / opinions have been posted.

If your not towing regularly or heavy loads, gas 1500. :happysad:

Man, I just came from a 14 1500 Silverado to a 2016 2500HD Duramax. There's 2 or 3 years free scheduled maintenance (even with diesel), the diesel is a beast if you need to, but a true pleasure to drive as daily driver. There's absolutely no way I'd go back to a gasser half ton after having a duramax.

Let's see here from this.... don't get diesel because it is expensive to operate, yet go ahead and get the 6.2 in the 1500 that uses the most expensive fuel at the gas pump. I suppose if one is a teenager trying to impress the girls on a Friday night with how you can rip away from the light.

I am in other camp. I would rather have a much more capable pickup like the 2500. Now, I don't really tow much, but I do haul, and I can haul loads that barely change the rake on my 2500 that would have a 1500 down on the drive axle. 6.2 or not, you are not going to put around 2500 lb in the bed of a 1500 and be safe doing so. My 2500, with two people and about 200 lb of tools in the back, full of fuel, still has an available 2300 lb I can throw in the back before reaching gross.

The jury is still out on the 6.2L, but the L96 6.0L in the 2500/3500 has one of the best track records for longevity, durability, reliability. The 6.2L makes one feel like a kid, I suppose, but the 6.0L combined with the 6L90 and the 4.10 rear will pull the barn down on the 1500. And a 2500 with a 6.0L can be had for less money than the 6.2L equipped 1500 in many cases.

Get what rings your bell. Each vehicle has it's place, but even as a daily driver, I would prefer the 2500. I had a '98 2500 with a 454 and really liked it. Fell for the ooh aah stuff of marketing and got a 2013 1500. Cursed that day. Now have a 2015 2500 and like it much better. Nothing will be as good as the '98 2500 I had. As a daily driver, I wouldn't consider diesel. I have diesels for what I need them for, in my 2500, I don't need it.

Too be fair, diesel has the edge right now in fuel pricing combined with fuel economy. No doubt. But if we hit the pricing we had just a few years ago, many diesel admirers now will be crying in their beer over how much it takes to fuel up. It got close to $5 a gallon. I know how that can hurt the wallet. I go thru about 20,000 gallons of diesel a year for my other needs. I'll take a 6.0L that I can throw any gas or ethanol blend in at the pump. Only if I have to will I subject myself to only one fuel. And the Diesel is that way, along with the 6.2L needing premium. Of course the 6.2, you can put regular in, but the ECM will derate the motor to compensate for knock. And it isn't flex fuel like the 6.0L is. I am more practical in my vehicle choices and want the best overall value for my dollar.

My parents both drive old 3/4-one ton deisels. Mother drives the one ton 2000 model 7.3 ford. Dad drives 98 dodge deisel. Wouldn't trade even for anything, dads 79, moms 78. They drive with me they say nice truck, I say want one they say no. I've spent 3/4s of my work life in top of the line deisels of all brands, couldn't wait to get into 1/2 tons. Personal preference, test drive a lot.

I have a 2015.5 GMC 2500 HD Denali, CC SWB Duramax. It rides better than my F-150 Platinum. Hell rides better than my wifes Lexus GS.

I do not tow more than 2-3 times a year, and when i do its usually less than 8k lbs. I am a regular at Home Depot and like being able to say i have a 3/4 ton truck when they ask if i have a vehicle that can handle the weight of what i am picking up (mulch, lumber, whatever).

Will the maintenance cost you more? Only slightly. An oil change is more due to the volume of oil. You have 3 filters that you replace regularly (I don't care what the book says i will not go 42k between fuel filter changes). All three filters (oil/fuel/trans) will run you $65-70 total. Oil will run you another $45 so $110-120 every 10k miles. Beyond that it only gets expensive if you abuse the vehicle or start to modify it.

They are more capable and hold their value better than gas. Look at Nissan, Ford, and Ram. They are all releasing 4 and 6 cyl diesels. This is due to better fuel economy, better power and lower long term maintenance costs. This is prompting more fuel stations to offer diesel, which in turn in driving a little competition. Odd how that does not work with gas???

Obviously this is all personal opinion. I have had 4 diesel trucks and 3 gas trucks. I would not go back to gas.

I have a 2015.5 GMC 2500 HD Denali, CC SWB Duramax. It rides better than my F-150 Platinum. Hell rides better than my wifes Lexus GS.

I do not tow more than 2-3 times a year, and when i do its usually less than 8k lbs. I am a regular at Home Depot and like being able to say i have a 3/4 ton truck when they ask if i have a vehicle that can handle the weight of what i am picking up (mulch, lumber, whatever).

Will the maintenance cost you more? Only slightly. An oil change is more due to the volume of oil. You have 3 filters that you replace regularly (I don't care what the book says i will not go 42k between fuel filter changes). All three filters (oil/fuel/trans) will run you $65-70 total. Oil will run you another $45 so $110-120 every 10k miles. Beyond that it only gets expensive if you abuse the vehicle or start to modify it.

They are more capable and hold their value better than gas. Look at Nissan, Ford, and Ram. They are all releasing 4 and 6 cyl diesels. This is due to better fuel economy, better power and lower long term maintenance costs. This is prompting more fuel stations to offer diesel, which in turn in driving a little competition. Odd how that does not work with gas???

Obviously this is all personal opinion. I have had 4 diesel trucks and 3 gas trucks. I would not go back to gas.

I can't stop looking at the new Denali 2500 white ones! My wife says she thinks she likes it better than high country too. Not a fan of the color of high country interior. Though it is a nice trick too. I think we will hopefully be able to get a big chunk of sticker off towards end of year with the new model coming out.

Archived