Trying to decide Chevy diesel 2500 or Sierra 1500 gas

I'd rather take the HC interior any day. I realize it's not as "classy" but it is a lot more different than the standard black interiors. I also like the brown color, makes the truck feel more rugged feeling and suites me better. In the end it's up to you what you want... I'm sorry, what your WIFE wants [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather take the HC interior any day. I realize it's not as "classy" but it is a lot more different than the standard black interiors. I also like the brown color, makes the truck feel more rugged feeling and suites me better. In the end it's up to you what you want... I'm sorry, what your WIFE wants [emoji23] [emoji23]

I do think the interior of the hc looks tough. Reminds me of a western movie. I'm still on the fence I'm just drawn to the Denali because I think it looks really sharp but still rugged with little addition of some tires and a level. Both beautiful trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive the Denali 2500 HD. If you are towing, this is the truck to own, it just kicks but with a load attached. As a daily driver, I'd suggest the 1500. The 2500 suspension is stiff as the truck is designed to tow heavy loads. The maintenance is a bit more on the diesels (eg, you hold 10 qts of oil). If your just kicking around town and towing your duck boat, the 1500 is the better option.

I drive the Denali 2500 HD. If you are towing, this is the truck to own, it just kicks but with a load attached. As a daily driver, I'd suggest the 1500. The 2500 suspension is stiff as the truck is designed to tow heavy loads. The maintenance is a bit more on the diesels (eg, you hold 10 qts of oil). If your just kicking around town and towing your duck boat, the 1500 is the better option.

Looks like sound advise from a man that owns a 2500HD diesel. :thumbs:

Man, I just came from a 14 1500 Silverado to a 2016 2500HD Duramax. There's 2 or 3 years free scheduled maintenance (even with diesel), the diesel is a beast if you need to, but a true pleasure to drive as daily driver. There's absolutely no way I'd go back to a gasser half ton after having a duramax.

I just traded my 14 LTZ Z71 for a 16 2500 diesel and I'll never own another 1/2 ton again. The ride is much better/smoother than my 14 was... I tow big boats frequently and my 1/2 would smell like the tranny was cooking with an 8k boat

I just traded my 14 LTZ Z71 for a 16 2500 diesel and I'll never own another 1/2 ton again. The ride is much better/smoother than my 14 was... I tow big boats frequently and my 1/2 would smell like the tranny was cooking with an 8k boat

If you're towing heavy stuff I agree. I was like you and 10 yrs ago said I would never go back to a half ton truck...Well 10 yrs later (5 different HD Diesels) I just traded in my 2015 3500HD Dmax for a 1500 Denali 6.2 gas. The fun of driving the diesel and the bigger truck finally wore off, that and I no longer had a need for the extra hauling capacity. The 6.2 Denali with MRC drives awesome and has power to spare...easily tows my enclosed 4 place sled/ATV trailer and boat. I liked my HD's but they simply do not drive anywhere close to as nice as the MRC equipped 1500 Denali...nor should they.

The 6.2 should really be modified for use in the HD trucks. My business owns 3500 HD 6.0's and while that motor is tough it falls short in power compared to the 6.2.

If you're towing heavy stuff I agree. I was like you and 10 yrs ago said I would never go back to a half ton truck...Well 10 yrs later (5 different HD Diesels) I just traded in my 2015 3500HD Dmax for a 1500 Denali 6.2 gas. The fun of driving the diesel and the bigger truck finally wore off, that and I no longer had a need for the extra hauling capacity. The 6.2 Denali with MRC drives awesome and has power to spare...easily tows my enclosed 4 place sled/ATV trailer and boat. I liked my HD's but they simply do not drive anywhere close to as nice as the MRC equipped 1500 Denali...nor should they.

The 6.2 should really be modified for use in the HD trucks. My business owns 3500 HD 6.0's and while that motor is tough it falls short in power compared to the 6.2.

That 6.0 can take a beating though. They would have to detune the 6.2 I believe. But fingers crossed, they are coming out with a second option gas motor for the 17's!!

Well, one thing to keep in mind is fuel prices. Boys and girls, they going up...

http://m.truckinginfo.com/news/263249/diesel-prices-expected-to-jump-15-next-year-gasoline-to-increase-less

Yes they are, but..

Fuel prices will yo-yo from now to the end of time.

There is no way to predict fuel prices other than to know that they will go up..up..up..until they bottom out again. Rinse, and repeat.

IMO, Buy what you want for need and pleasure, and don't shy away from fear.

The comment and link was primarily for those that seem to worry about resale values as part of their decision to buy a diesel pickup. If fuel prices hit the ceiling like they did a few years ago, they might find that their diesel pickup is now a giant paperweight that no one wants. Or at least, far fewer people wanting it which will limit what a person will be able to get for it. It is like anything else... what it is worth is only what people are willing to pay for it.

Now, granted, I don't use my pickup to tow every day or even every weekend. So a gasser is fine for me. And since it can use anything from regular gas all the way to E85, the hit I will take on fuel cost, even with a major spike, is less. When we had that almost $5 a gallon diesel a few years ago, E85 was over $2 less per gallon. Even with the lower mpg, I still had a substantially lower cost per mile for fuel. And still did all that I needed it to do.

Diesel prices never bother me much for my commercial stuff. I just adjust my commercial rates to cover it and continue on. It is the consumer that is going to pay for it with what they buy.

Funny observation, but...

If I see a personally owned HD, it's almost always a diesel. It is usually empty.

If I see a commercially owned HD, it's almost always gas. It is usually loaded/towing, or the bed has been replaced with something job-specific.

Funny observation, but...

If I see a personally owned HD, it's almost always a diesel. It is usually empty.

If I see a commercially owned HD, it's almost always gas. It is usually loaded/towing, or the bed has been replaced with something job-specific.

Companies are smart enough not to have to deal with the new diesel tech and the people that drive them as personal vehicles I would say 80% of the time probably just have too much money, a lot of people around here have all these nice lifted HD trucks and the most I see them tow is like a 20 foot bass boat. But hey, if you have the money, go for it, who's gonna stop you from getting something that makes you happy? If I had the money I would drive a diesel all the time (I tow often though, so it would still make sense)

Yeah, I did a unscientific survey a while back. I drive commercially and cover about 11 states. I started marking down HD pickups when I saw them and the engine they had. The gassers out numbered the diesels on average about 3 to 1. And has commented on, commercial use HD's are using gassers far more than diesel, even higher of spread than the 3 to 1 average. While cost is probably a factor, from a commercial standpoint, reliability and overall cost of operation gets bigger marks. Many of the agriculture cooperatives in my area have ditched diesel 3/4 and 1 tons for gassers. This has primarily come about with the new emissions stuff that has happened.

About the only endeavor that diesel pickups still rule is in the commercial towing game. And that I understand, as those engines pull some pretty good loads over some pretty long distances and they are operated for hours a day. No short tripping, grocery getting commuter stuff. This type of activity is where diesels shine and really pay for themselves.

Yup, even in our 17 foot box trucks we have 6.0 gassers, don't need diesels. The gasser still has a ton of get up and go, still surprises me a box truck has some ass like that when I drive it

Archived