Trying to decide Chevy diesel 2500 or Sierra 1500 gas

You are claiming that "money is not the deciding factor", if that truly is the case that's great and there should be no question for you to ask of anybody here. Get the Duramax and enjoy. Going that route will give you enough truck to do whatever you may need to tow/haul in the future.

The price difference is significant between the models you listed. A 1500 pickup with All Terrain package is thousands less than the top level Duramax with the High Country options. Money is definitely a factor when it comes to deciding between the two, no matter what anybody may claim. The two trucks are several thousand dollars apart and are not even comparable to one another, different classes of truck.

The HD trucks are always going to have a stiffer ride than the lighter 1500's. Maintenance cost between the two is also significantly different. Simply having to register an HD truck costs more per year than the standard 1/2ton truck. The Duramax will be much more expensive to maintain simply because of the amount of oil needed per change, and the exhaust fluid that is a must for the truck to run properly. The cost of tires will also be higher due to the fact they are a much heavier tire, same goes for brakes/rotors. The yearly cost of fuel and regular maintenance between a 1/2ton and diesel is going to be a couple thousand dollars different as well but that really depends on how much you use the vehicle.

Things like that add up over time but it's your money, spend it as you wish, I know that's what I do.

Just consider your basic needs for a pickup when buying new. Going with the HD and Duramax is a great decision if you use the truck for towing heavy all the time or if it's used for work. I would love to have a top of the line Duramax but just can't justify the cost based on my needs. If your wife is ok with spending that amount of money, I say go for it now before she changes her mind!!!! Go to the dealership with your checkbook and get the Duramax High Country, OR you can wait until it's 2017 order time and get exactly what you want and need.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty sound advice black.

I actually made a thread about this the other day and am on the rope about doing it. Currently I'm not married, 28, still young and have the ability to spend my cash as I want right now.

I plan on keeping my truck until it's paid for or for a long time. Currently I own a SLT 4x4 gmc and it's nice. I have CAI on it and custom exhaust, headlights, tail lights, fender flares, 6 inch lift with tires and wheels. The sticker on my truck when brand new was 61,000 cause they already do lifted it but I talked them down to 49500 and put 9k cash down upfront. Payments are around 609 a month. I have 18,000 miles on it and have been browsing truck forums lately and it seems that everyone has a duramax. So I've been thinking about getting one but I don't know if I should or if I did would I be letting go a great truck? My girl friends dad says I have a lot of equity in the truck I have which clean trade in is 40k and clean retail

That's pretty sound advice black.

I actually made a thread about this the other day and am on the rope about doing it. Currently I'm not married, 28, still young and have the ability to spend my cash as I want right now.

I plan on keeping my truck until it's paid for or for a long time. Currently I own a SLT 4x4 gmc and it's nice. I have CAI on it and custom exhaust, headlights, tail lights, fender flares, 6 inch lift with tires and wheels. The sticker on my truck when brand new was 61,000 cause they already do lifted it but I talked them down to 49500 and put 9k cash down upfront. Payments are around 609 a month. I have 18,000 miles on it and have been browsing truck forums lately and it seems that everyone has a duramax. So I've been thinking about getting one but I don't know if I should or if I did would I be letting go a great truck? My girl friends dad says I have a lot of equity in the truck I have which clean trade in is 40k and clean retail is 44k right now I owe 35k left on mine.

I know the price of a regular dmax is 55-59 depending if it's an slt or Denali. I saw one at a dealership that's already lifted and they want 68k!!! Sticker not sure how much can be haggled. If I bought it out right my payments would be 900 a month.

So that's my story... I'm sure some of you guys are older than me on here and wiser lol so I beg you guys... Tell me in your experience would it be a bad idea to trade mine in?

And no currently I do not tow heavy loads at all.

If money was no problem, I would go with something else than a pickup with a diesel, I would go larger than a 2500/3500, but that is me. In your situation, just go with your gut feeling. For not towing or hauling frequently or heavy, there is a strong case can be made for going with a 1500 and a 6.2L. Fuel will be expensive, but you drive it right and it won't be an issue. A diesel really does its best overall when it has to work. A diesel in a car is ok for commuting stuff, but diesels made for the pickups really need to be treated more like commercial diesels to get the best out of them. Regens and other stuff has its own requirements going on. The fuel cost will be about the same, as diesel has already started reaching out and meeting the traditional spreads between it an gasoline. And the 6.2L is capable of some very good fuel economy when driven right. And let's face it, the gasser is going to be easier overall to deal with for maintaining. And you treat it right, it will last a long, long time. The 6.2L might pull a better resale than the regular 5.3L stuff, so the might mitigate the argument of the diesel having better resale on the long term. It's a crap shoot, even with good arguments of both sides, so go with what your gut tells you.

Thanks guys. I see you points and when I say money's not a factor I mean that's it not the end all be all deciding factor. Of course I'm looking at the value as one of the main factor. But right now with the sticker prices on the 1500 ltz's and denalis going up against the big cuts on the 2500's that's what has me really thinking hard. I've seen a Duramax high country advertised here for 53k and I'm assuming that the denalis are doing to be able to be had for around that number if they keep discounting around 20% with the new Duramax coming. There are fully loaded 1500 ltz with Internet price of 52k so could prob be had for 46 or so I imagine. That's just not that big a difference in the long run to me. With the maintenance cost that guys have said on the diesel wouldn't most of that be caught up during the warranty period? Good friend of mines drw 2014 3500 Duramax Chevy is passing 250k now with not an issue so every time I hear that I think "damn that thing could last me long as I need it" when in actuality I don't put a ton of miles on vehicles so I would prob trade the thing before too many miles. Thank you guys for the input. I do appreciate it. I just keep going back and forth in my head. In actuality a 1500 Denali with standard box (I've gotten on the denalis more that the all terrain) and the 6.2 would be great but it's damn near as expensive as the Duramax. Cheers ?

Well, if your friend's 2014 3500 Dmax is passing 250K miles, it is being used more for what diesel was intended and not some grocery getter, cruise the streets vehicle to impress the girls and guys with low testosterone. It is operating for hours at a time, each time to rack up those kind of miles. That is akin to my 2013 commercial semi truck (purchased Aug 2012) that has 569,828 miles / 12,056 hrs, and with no engine issues either. If your intension is do what your friend is doing, then it makes sense to go diesel. Each engine has it's place and intended use.

One comment I'd like to make is registration and taxes of course vary by state.

Here in Minnesota, my newer 1500 costs about $500 per year for plates/taxes, and it is based off of book value. If I buy a 3500, it's a flat $120 per year.

Certainly not a huge factor overall, but my point is you should check into the registration/tax fees in your state between 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton vehicles.

I'm in this same boat right now as well OP, I actually had our GMC dealership order a 2017 1500 sierra SLT 6.2 max tow pkg, which has a MSRP of 55,109, when it arrives I probably wont get many rebates on a 2017. I tow my race trailer which is about 7-7.5k a couple weekends a month, usually not far, but sometimes out of town 175 miles or so. With the new 2500 not getting the front end update like I was hoping, I'm up in the air right now as well.

Every one is also forgetting DEF fluid and when it does regin it will drop your fuel milage at least 3 mpg and you will have problems with emissions eventually if you leave it stock have friends with fords dodge and GM diesels all have problems with emissions and very costly if out of warranty loved my lbz but that is why I returned to gas just to many issues keeping new diesels running with factory emissions something to think about

I currently have a 2016 6.2 Denali 1500 having traded in my 2015 3500 SRW LTZ DMax crew...So I have real world experience with the answer you are seeking. I also own a reg cab 2015 SRW 3500 with a 6.0.

If a nice ride, power/performance are important and the trailer you haul is within the capability of the 1500, buy the 6.2 Denali, you will LOVE the ride and power.

If power and payload are important while towing and you won't out own the warranty, Duramax hands down!...On the reliability concerns though, I have owned the 2011 and 2015 and had ZERO issues with either of them..commuted 10 miles to work and plowed extensively with both..No emissions issues or horror stories to report, DEF got filled at each oil change and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one again.

If you need to tow or haul more than the 1500 chassis can handle and you really don't tow that often, 6.0 might be the answer...bullet proof motor that has a solid, proven track record..Oh and don't focus on the numbers that are used to compare the HD gas motors! Like the DMax, the 6.0 might be down in power on paper but in the real world they outperform...This has been proven in documented head to head tests.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

I currently have a 2016 6.2 Denali 1500 having traded in my 2015 3500 SRW LTZ DMax crew...So I have real world experience with the answer you are seeking. I also own a reg cab 2015 SRW 3500 with a 6.0.

If a nice ride, power/performance are important and the trailer you haul is within the capability of the 1500, buy the 6.2 Denali, you will LOVE the ride and power.

If power and payload are important while towing and you won't out own the warranty, Duramax hands down!...On the reliability concerns though, I have owned the 2011 and 2015 and had ZERO issues with either of them..commuted 10 miles to work and plowed extensively with both..No emissions issues or horror stories to report, DEF got filled at each oil change and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one again.

If you need to tow or haul more than the 1500 chassis can handle and you really don't tow that often, 6.0 might be the answer...bullet proof motor that has a solid, proven track record..Oh and don't focus on the numbers that are used to compare the HD gas motors! Like the DMax, the 6.0 might be down in power on paper but in the real world they outperform...This has been proven in documented head to head tests.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Hey thanks for the reply man. Last few days I've kinda talked myself more towards the 1500 gas. Got to looking online at the Denali and Slt 6.2's and they are not that easy to find. Were you able to get some good incentives on the 6.2 Denali? I would like to get the price into the upper 40's. If it's still gonna be in the 50's it brings the Duramax back into equation.

Hey thanks for the reply man. Last few days I've kinda talked myself more towards the 1500 gas. Got to looking online at the Denali and Slt 6.2's and they are not that easy to find. Were you able to get some good incentives on the 6.2 Denali? I would like to get the price into the upper 40's. If it's still gonna be in the 50's it brings the Duramax back into equation.

I think you'll get close...I was in the 50's but my truck has 22's power boards etc..

The only problem that many without a trust fund or friend of Donald Trump, is that eliminating the EPA stuff effectively eliminates the drive train warranty. And it isn't a gray area warranty issue either. And the EPA is strong arming dealers, at least on the commercial level, to totally reinstall and bring engines back up to full EPA compliance on the customer dime. I would be willing to bet that they have also put Auto/Pickup dealerships on notice also, and it would be a crap shoot to put a gutted pickup in a dealership shop for any kind of work. So, that essentially means any so-called "authorized" repair facility is out of the question. Quite a price to pay for most folks. Spend $5-6000 more for the diesel to begin with, spend thousands to remove all the goofy stuff, and now have no warranty to speak of. Fine for those that have deep pockets, but not practical for the majority of folks. And it really limits the available folks who would buy the pickup later on resale. My first impression of any pickup that has had the emissions gutted, is that they may have also abused the pickup and I am buying a can of worms. No thanks. If one guts the emissions, they essentially have a pickup for life. I really couldn't be persuaded to buy a pickup that had the emissions gutted and megaphone exhaust end larger than the stacks on my semi. I see a problem pickup and would just walk away.

Archived