2001 Silverado Rough 1-2 Shift...

Do I just take it into the dealer for this? It has been this way since I've had my truck but it seems to be getting worse, and annoying now that I drive slower. If I give it a good amount of gas it shifts fine...Only when taking off slow it seems like it's falling in hard.

Help!

Thanks

this is the very same problem that caused me to search out this forum many moons ago... :confused:

Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit) #02-07-30-030

Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit)

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the transmission slips, a shudder, chuggle, or vibration is felt when the transmission shifts from first to second gear.

Cause

A 12 Hz electrical feedback from the charging circuit may be affecting the transmission pressure control solenoid, causing a fluctuation of the line pressure within the transmission.

Diagnostic Tip

Road test the vehicle under the following conditions:

Throttle position is less than 15 percent.

Engine coolant and transmission fluid are at full operating temperature.

The outside ambient temperature is warmer than 24°C (75°F).

If the condition is present, disconnect the generator 4 cavity connector (2 wires in the connector) and retest.

If the condition is no longer present, perform the correction listed below.

If the condition remains unchanged, the condition will not be corrected with this procedure. Look for other causes of the condition.

Correction

Install an external sense lead to the generator assembly. This is accomplished by adding a wire from the generator four wire connector to the generator output BAT terminal.

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries.

Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal.

Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator.

Remove and save the orange weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector.

Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two wires from the 4-way connector.

Install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568.

Install the brown (Circuit 25) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector.

Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector.

Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long.

Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire.

Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector.

Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector.

Plug the 4-way connector into the generator.

Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire.

Crimp and solder the ring terminal, P/N 02977821, on the open end of the new black wire.

Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer. Tighten

Tighten to the BAT terminal retainer to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten

Tighten the battery cable retainer to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Quantity needed for this repair

SPO Dealer Cost

J 38125

Kit Tray Location

Available from Kent Moore (approximately $12.50 per pkg)

12048074*

Terminal

$0.57

Tray # 2

50 per package

12059168*

Cavity Plug

$2.00

Tray # 3

25 per package

12048086*

Wire Seal, Red

$2.05

Tray # 3

25 per package

Ring Terminal

$1.50

Must be ordered from Parts.

N/A

Connector

$1.30

Must be ordered from Parts.

N/A

Part numbers shown above which have an (*) are found in the terminal repair kit, J 38125. They may be ordered either from GMSPO or SPX Kent Moore.

Parts are expected to be available 8-15-2002 from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

*N8505

Rewire Generator, 1-2 shudder

0.7 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for use only with this bulletin. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

I checked the wires going to the actuator and found a good site with info on how it works..

I have 12 Volts DC going to it when 4L or 4H is engaged. the 4WD fuse also removed the power to it, so I know that is good.

The actuator reads 600K ohms for those who know how to read them..

I don't know if that is good or bad.

how about some suggestions on what to replace the actuator with.

thanks

Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit) #02-07-30-030

Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit)

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)

Is 02-07-30-030 the TSB number?

My '02 has the same problem...the new solenoid is on order. The part is on "national backorder" and it has been over 3 weeks, and still nothing. Mine has the same symptoms as ya'll's, doesn't do it all the time, sometimes it shifts perfectly, but others it just falls into 2nd. Really annoying, especially since the entire truck shutters when it does it. Good luck to everyone with the problem... :lol:

Archived