Driver side wind noise

Hey everyone! I have what I believe is to be a slight wind noise from driver side door. Seems to go away if I try and squeeze my fingers in the seal. Usually starting around 60 mph or so. Anyone else have this issue? 16 Silverado Crew cab.

My truck is currently sitting at the dealership getting warranty work done and has this same problem. They are going to put a new weather stripping on there to see if it helps. I will get it back Tuesday or Wednesday and let you know if it helps.

• Like 1

My truck is currently sitting at the dealership getting warranty work done and has this same problem. They are going to put a new weather stripping on there to see if it helps. I will get it back Tuesday or Wednesday and let you know if it helps.

Ok sounds good. I'm going to spray it down with silicone spray in the meantime and see if that will help. Thanks again.

I have this problem on my 2014 LT. I give credit to the dealer - 1st, adjusted the striker plate (no help), 2nd, new weather stripping (no help), 3rd, new style hinges (no help). The dealer placed a dollar bill on the passenger side top of the door and closed the door - the bill was hard to pull out. Tried the same thing on the drivers side - the bill slipped out easily. Dealer said the only other fix was to send it to a repair shop and have them bend the door - they open the door and pull the door from the top toward the inside of the truck - in essence, it bends the door inward and should make for a tighter fit - we both decided not to try this approach. So, the wind noise is still there.

• Like 1

I have this problem on my 2014 LT. I give credit to the dealer - 1st, adjusted the striker plate (no help), 2nd, new weather stripping (no help), 3rd, new style hinges (no help). The dealer placed a dollar bill on the passenger side top of the door and closed the door - the bill was hard to pull out. Tried the same thing on the drivers side - the bill slipped out easily. Dealer said the only other fix was to send it to a repair shop and have them bend the door - they open the door and pull the door from the top toward the inside of the truck - in essence, it bends the door inward and should make for a tighter fit - we both decided not to try this approach. So, the wind noise is still there.

That is how I would fix it. Pretty easy actually. Take a towel and roll it up enough to create a gap when laid in the door sill at the door lock level, hold the door against the rolled towel and give the top of the door a slight push. Repeat as necessary using the dollar bill test.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

rickytickyshorth, now that sounds like a good (and safe) attempt at a fix. I'm thinking I'll roll the window down before I try pushing on the door - probably not necessary, but it's easy so why not. Thanks for the suggestion.

My truck has it also, '15 GMC Sierra rcsb. Its not bad but I'm worried about it bugging me on long trips so I'm going to attempt to get it fixed before hunting season since I'll probably be driving from CA to MT or SD in the fall.

• 9 months later...

I have the same issue on 2017 sierra crew. I brought to dealer for this issue last week. Dealer could hear the noise on the test drive. While i sat in the waiting room they took two more bee trucks on a test drive and said they heard the same noise. They also said they had another truck in the shop for the same reason. All 2017 models.

They claim they have no fix for this problem and said eventually enough people will have to complain for gm to fix it. Great policy...

In looking around i had seen some suggestions from guys who said sliding 1/4 inch tubing into the weather stripping of the door helps. It's hard to get in there so i did it on the upper corners. There was an immediate improvement. So much so that i was able to hear the sind coming from the other doors...

After about 1500 miles the wind noise came back. I'm going to try to get the tubing across the remaining portion of the seal and see how that goes.

Overall dissapointing. Not what i thought i was signing up for when i purchased this truck

This sounds like a weather stripping change has been made as I'm pretty sure this part of the body design hasn't changed since 14/15 ! I will try the five dollar bill test on my '15 because the Canadian dollar will scratch the paint! If the door seals have changed then maybe someone with the problem could ask the dealer for a previous version of door rubber.

• Like 2

Hey guys, new to the forum. Been lurking for a couple months. This is my first post. So forgive me if this has already been brought up. I purchased a 2017 Sierra SLT All-Terrain CCSB in January and experienced this same issue with the wind noise. It sounded like wind was whistling inside the top of the door above the window. Took it to the dealer expecting the "technician could not duplicate" response. But they ended up blowing air all around the front of the truck at 100 psi using an air hose and determined that air was getting past the seals where the side mirror meets the door and finding its way inside the door. They replaced the seals on both side mirrors, problem solved. No wind noise now for 3 months. Hope this helps those of you who haven't had success thus far.

This sounds like a weather stripping change has been made as I'm pretty sure this part of the body design hasn't changed since 14/15 ! I will try the five dollar bill test on my '15 because the Canadian dollar will scratch the paint! If the door seals have changed then maybe someone with the problem could ask the dealer for a previous version of door rubber.

Why not try a Toonie? :lol:

I haven't noticed this issue on my '15 Silverado.

Question for you guys: I hear it's recommended to lubricate the weatherstripping around the doors so it doesn't get dried out. What product do you guys use, and how often do you apply it?

If you guys have a whistling noise try and put a piece of tape over the upper part of the outside mirror where it sits against the door and take it for a drive.

I tried everything before finding that was where my noise was coming from.

Ended up putting a little clear silicone behind it and clamping it overnight. Solved my noise issue.

• Like 2