For towing: 6.2 L with 3.23 or 5.3 L with 3.42

I am in the market for a new 2017 1500 Sierra Denali, and I want to use it for periodically towing a 20 foot enclosed car trailer. Max weight of trailer when loaded is about 7,000 lb.

I would prefer the 6.2 L V8, but it only comes with a 3.23 rear axle ratio, whereas the 5.3 L V8 comes with either a 3.23 or 3.42 rear axle ratio.

For towing a 7,000 lb car trailer, am I better off getting the 5.3 L V8 with a 3.42 or a 6.2 L V8 with a 3.23? Does it make much of a difference?

Thanks.

Having just traded a 2014 Duramax and moving back to a 1500 I have some good things to say about the 2016 5.3 3.42 8 speed setup. There is no replacement for a diesel when towing heavy loads very often.

The 5.3 3.42 8 speed pulls really nice and gets good fuel economyempty. I pull 4500-5000 lbs. probably twice a month and my 9500 lb tractor here and there, and I cannot complain. I don't mean to say it doesn't hunt gears some but it can hold it's own.

I liked the idea of the 6.2, but when I bought it back in December they had 20%off of a few trucks, and mine didn't have the 6.2. I wasn't wanting to look around or order so I jumped. If you have the opportunity and don't mind the extra 2500 buy in and 91 octane fuel, then why not. Just wanted an opinion to be stated from someone who knows what a tow monster(Duramax)is capable of. The Duramax holds a gear and doesn't need to downshift towing less than 10K on flat roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the idea of the 6.2, but when I bought it back in December they had 20%off of a few trucks, and mine didn't have the 6.2. I wasn't wanting to look around or order so I jumped. If you have the opportunity and don't mind the extra 2500 buy in and 91 octane fuel, then why not.

Thanks AgDoctor. So the 6.2 requires premium gas? I didn't see that anywhere on the website.

I currently have a 2004 Yukon Denali with a 6.0 L and I just put regular gas in it. Of course the gas mileage when towing is horrendous, ranging from 5-9 mpg (particularly with hills), but that's another story....

The 6.2 does require premium fuel. Some have run it on regular, but I don't think it runs well on it.

Even the 5.3 is over 11:1 compression, so it should have 89. You can run 87, but it runs better on 89 I find.

If you can afford the higher cost and use of premium fuel, go 6.2.

My 5.3/3.42/6 speed combo tows my 6k lb TT great, especially on 89 octane fuel, so it's all in what you want. I don't desire a 6.2, but that's just me. My 5.3 has more than enough juice for me.

Thanks AgDoctor. So the 6.2 requires premium gas? I didn't see that anywhere on the website.

I currently have a 2004 Yukon Denali with a 6.0 L and I just put regular gas in it. Of course the gas mileage when towing is horrendous, ranging from 5-9 mpg (particularly with hills), but that's another story....

I have a 6.2 the fuel door says premium fuel recommend. Owners manual says you can run regular fuel but if you run into pre ignition then switch to premium. My dealer was putting regular fuel when i bought it. then I did some reading.

for light loads and just everyday driving I usually run mid grade (89). I dont have any issues but I keep my foot out of it, The computer will pull timing. But I did floor it and heard detonation. The cosco near my house has premium for about $.30 cheaper than most stations so I my just start filling up there. not a big deal this truck gets way better mileage than my last one so I dont mind running better fuel.

If I have to haul a tractor or something heavy I will run premium

The 6.2 is fun to tow with.... even mild part throttle with my car hauler and a weight of 7000+ lbs just lights up the tires lol. It gets annoying in that regard after a while. I have 3.23 and the only upgrade I would do is 3.73..... but then first would be almost useless unless I was in 4wd.. as towing it's borderline that way now. My 7000 lb load behind most steeper hills ( large river valleys etc) this area has to offer is a 2800 rpm to maintain 70 mph type thing. This engine is awesome for towing.... I honestly wish I had this powertrain in my 05 1500HD as it's a better "truck" for as far as suspension goes. But none the less the 6.2 will not disappoint. The 8 speed though and 3.42's will make the 5.3 a pretty decent setup too.

I would drive both honestly and then decide... much easier.

Thanks 1994Vmax. From what I've been reading, I think I will get the 2017 6.2L Sierra Denali, although I wish it were available with a max trailering package.

Also, my 2004 Yukon Denali (which I still have) has auto airbag shocks, which also help with towing/leveling, but it appears as though the 1500 Denali doesn't have airbag suspension, so I may want to add that if I detect that the rear end drops when towing. I do have a weight distribution system for towing my trailer, but the airbag shocks also fill up on my 2004 Denali when I hitch it, which really improves the leveling a lot.

Thanks 1994Vmax. From what I've been reading, I think I will get the 2017 6.2L Sierra Denali, although I wish it were available with a max trailering package.

Also, my 2004 Yukon Denali (which I still have) has auto airbag shocks, which also help with towing/leveling, but it appears as though the 1500 Denali doesn't have airbag suspension, so I may want to add that if I detect that the rear end drops when towing. I do have a weight distribution system for towing my trailer, but the airbag shocks also fill up on my 2004 Denali when I hitch it, which really improves the leveling a lot.

Yeah I wish the Denali, and High Country had the max tow too. I think it would open up a slightly bigger customer base for them seeing as they are made in the same factories as their ltz/slt counterparts.

I have no experience with either but I ordered a 6.2L with NHT Max Trailering Package which has 8L90e and 3.42 gears. After towing a lot with my 2013 Avalanche with 5.3L and 6L90e, I think the 100hp and 2 extra gears will make a huge difference. You won't have any regrets with the 6.2L, I believe, while you could regret NOT going for it.

I have no experience with either but I ordered a 6.2L with NHT Max Trailering Package which has 8L90e and 3.42 gears. After towing a lot with my 2013 Avalanche with 5.3L and 6L90e, I think the 100hp and 2 extra gears will make a huge difference. You won't have any regrets with the 6.2L, I believe, while you could regret NOT going for it.

I've been towing a 9600lb trailer with mine, and it tows it very well. I let it take its time from a stop, and the RPM's stay between 2750, and 3250 on upshifts. I'm getting 11mpg towing with it too which makes me happy. Also the dealer let us pull our trailer with a 6.2 3.23 truck, and I could tell a big difference in the handling. The max tow shock package makes a big difference imho.

Keep in mind the 8 speed is not going to two at the final gear ration as it will not tow in 8th gear in tow haul mode.

so the 3.23 will hold up about the same as the 3.42 will as they tend to set the tow haul modes as close to 1 to 1 as they can get.

Just returned from my Colorado vacation towing about 4500 lbs. Mileage about 13.2 in the flats then down to about 11in the mountains. Really enjoyed passing other vehicles over Monarch Pass at 11,000 ft. Takes a deep breath and up the hill he goes in Trailer mode with manual gear selection on the down hill. Hardly touched the brakes. Wish I could have driven through Eisenhower tunnel. Now that's a hill y'all.

Archived